What top speed MPH is the assy. line GT500 limited to?.......

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I know that the 2003/04 Cobra was limited from the factory to 159mph in the computer. I read somewhere that the 2007/08 GT500 are also limited from the assy. line, but I don't recall to what MPH.

R

03reptile

Established Member
My understanding, after having owned a 2003 Cobra and now a GT500, that the factory has a computer limiter of 155MPH on both vehicles; same as with the German cars.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Thanks for the replies. It could have been 155 on the 03/04 Cobra, I thought it was 159. When the limit is met, the fuel is cut-off? is this correct?

R

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I only hit a tick over 140 before I ran out of track last weekend. The car was still pulling like a freight train in 5th gear at that point! :pepper:

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Yes, same with the rev limiter... No fuel=????

The reason I was specifically asking about the fuel is because a new Super Snake owner on the Shelby forum has done a top end pull (actually 3 of them) in Fla. The car is shutting off at his GPS reading of 163mph. I know with the 20" tire/wheel change there may be a difference in mph, and the computer/VSS may be seeing something a little different from what his GPS is showing. I also know that some manufacturers use "spark" to limit mph. The spark limiting usually allows the car to run, although poorly, once the limit is met. I was wondering why his car is shutting off? I was unsure of how Ford limits mph. Cutting the fuel source would definitely kill the engine, I just wanted to verify that fuel was the way Ford limits mph, and there was not another issue.

R

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I thought the factory always placed the limiter at a speed which was within the limits of the tire the car was factory equipped with hence the 155MPH limiter.

U.M.

91svtbird

Established Member
I thought the factory always placed the limiter at a speed which was within the limits of the tire the car was factory equipped with hence the 155MPH limiter.

U.M.

The GT500 is factory limited because of the 2 piece drive shaft not for the tires.

Users who are viewing this thread