What type of oil do you use?

instantmassege

LS WHAT?
Established Member
ponygt65 said:
Might want to re-think that...jsut some info for you. I used to run fram in all my cars.......not any more.

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34737&highlight=oil+filter

And here is the independent test...(link on second post).
http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html

Well damn, I just did my oil change, oh well thanx for the help, next time I am going with motorcraft. I also heard that your realy suppose to change the filter every 2 oil changes?

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
instantmassege said:
Well damn, I just did my oil change, oh well thanx for the help, next time I am going with motorcraft. I also heard that your realy suppose to change the filter every 2 oil changes?

Some say that, but I dont' trust it. For $5, it is better to be safe than sorry, IMO. I have been meaning to get some Purolators but the nearest pepboys is 40 minutes away....BTW - they are only $3, and rank high on that test..they usually have a $2 rebate too. :thumbsup:

ravenknight

Never enough
Established Member
what came in it from the factory, motorcraft 5w20 and mc oil filter every 3000 miles. Thats what she was designed and built with so why change it, oh yea I might get a couple extra ponies from MObile 1 :rollseyes

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
ravenknight said:
what came in it from the factory, motorcraft 5w20 and mc oil filter every 3000 miles. Thats what she was designed and built with so why change it, oh yea I might get a couple extra ponies from MObile 1 :rollseyes

Actually, Rp was tested by my tuner, same car, same day, and it gained 6 RWHP...off of oil alone. He tested the RP (gain), M1 and motorcraft. As for why change it? simple, Ford is not going to spend the extra dough on better oil, when a 'synthetic blend' is good enough. I mean, your question is like asking if full synth. is better than blend......obviously full is better, so why not change it? Dont' you want the best for your car?

CY98Cobra

Established Member
ponygt65 said:
I hope you have a better oil changer than here.....they put 7 (yes, seven) Qts. AND forgot to lube the filter gasket....thank god it was a one time deal to have them do it.

As for me..... RP 5/20 and Napa Gold (WIX) filter.

I've been running 7 quarts in my Cobra for a long time now, as do many other Cobra owners. The heads hold a lot of oil which drains back slow, running the extra quart keeps the pickup submersed at all times.

Do a search in the two N/A Cobra forums and you'll find many topics about that very subject.

SFMach1

EAT ME!
Established Member
scotmach said:
Amsoil 0w-30 and Amsoil Filter. Change oil and filter once a year.

really!? and you have a supercharger? why would you do that?

scotmach

Established Member
SFMach1 said:
really!? and you have a supercharger? why would you do that?
I only drive it about 3,000 miles a year. I send in the oil for analysis and everytime it comes back I could have gone much longer.

scotmach

Established Member
instantmassege said:
Because he drives like 500 miles a week.
I have no idea what your talking about. Do you even know me to make a statement like that?

Last edited:

Mach Daddy

Life Is Mach1derful !!!
Established Member
scotmach said:
I have no idea what your talking about. Do you even know me to make a statement like that?

He was making a joke. :poke:

I thought it was pretty funny, too. :shrug:

scotmach

Established Member
Mach Daddy said:

He was making a joke. :poke:

I thought it was pretty funny, too. :shrug:

No big deal. I'm just used to a smilie when someone is joking. ;-)

CY98Cobra

Established Member
instantmassege said:
I was joking :poke: Our cars dont need more then 6 quarts right? because thats all I put in her.

Ok, glad you weren't serious.

You don't have to run more than 6 quarts, many owners do it as insurance. The extra quart makes sure the oil pickup is submersed during hard accelerating/cornering.

In Sean Hylands book he talks about how he installed a plexiglass window in the timing chain cover and the valve cover in order to observe the oil flow. According to him the timing chain acts as an elevator, moving large amounts of oil into the heads. He noticed alot of oil sits in the heads at all times.

Users who are viewing this thread