• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

What was your breaking point?

Discussion in 'The Chow Hall' started by ssj4sadie, May 23, 2019.

1. ssj4sadie

ssj4sadie Well-Known Member Established Member

Just passed 14 years in a few months ago and at this point will be punching at 15. I wish I could have gotten out 4 years ago, but the timing was wrong. Things have just continued to decline in my career, and my goals outside of the military are more important to me now.

2. lOOKnGO

lOOKnGO Keep'um smiling Established Member

Don't look at it as a breaking point, but an lluminating realization things could be better.
    Do you have a plan in place?

Good luck!

3. ssj4sadie

I came to this realization on Monday, so I don’t have a solid plan. But I do have a number of COAs. Mainly they center around my ability to go to school. I need to sit down and map out if it’s going to take me 3 or 4 years to finish undergrad (due to class sequence). I’m hoping to try and get on the AF career skills program.

lOOKnGO likes this.
  4. 1 Alibi 2

1 Alibi 2 If not today, when ?????? Established Member

I got out just shy of 5 years, got a job & went to school. That lasted 18 months, went back in & finished up my 20. Got out the 2nd time, hired on @ a top tier co., did that for another 19+ years & took a buyout.................& never looked back.
    ..........( that was 2008 )

mysticsvt, ssj4sadie and lexustech48 like this.
  5. wowsers

wowsers Looking for a Terminator Established Member

I just got out the Navy after 8 years. I was tired of the lack of respect and being micromanaged. For what it is the pay is decent, but i felt like i was going into work banging my head against the wall for 8 hours, then going home. I dont know your story, but I enlisted at 25 so I have already seen life outside of the military. I couldn't see myself doing it for 12 more years and so i got out. Im starting a new job in July and couldn't be happier.

ssj4sadie likes this.
  6. Mike's03Mach

Mike's03Mach Active Member Established Member

Retiring from the Air Force in 2 weeks, did 20 years. Could of stayed in longer but after 20 years.....I'm done. Thought about getting out around my 15 year mark, but thought that would be dumb. 5 more years and I get my retirement, but if the right job would have popped up...I would of got out.

7. lexustech48

lexustech48 RIP FoMoCo 1903-2014 Premium Member Established Member

Im just a rear echelon POG civilian, but couldnt you serve and go to school so when you hit your 20 you have full military retirement and have or nearly have your degree?

I realize that Im not in your shoes and I dont know you personal situation... but being as close as you are... the sacrifice to hit 20 may be worth it in the end. Best of luck with your decision and seriously, thank you for your service to this grateful nation.

mysticsvt and ssj4sadie like this.
  8. mysticsvt

mysticsvt southernmustangandford Premium Member Established Member

I'm not sure what you are going through or have been through. I had a great career and even with 4 trips of 3 years in the Middle East I was always safe. I'll also note those 3 years were in Bahrain...Club Med. With that being said...my house is paid for as well as my Truck every month through my retirement. My medical bills as well as my wife's are of no concern. I retired in 13 and I could retire right now if I so inclined although I want to live better than that would intel so I will not. Staying in was absolutely the best decision of my life. I'll be blunt when I say getting out at 15 would more than likely be the worst decision of your life. I'll tell you like I told my guys, plan to get out, plan to stay in. Five years will fly by and unless you are in danger physically or mentally stick it out.

Mike's03Mach likes this.
  9. ssj4sadie

Congrats on making it all the way.
    The degree I'm going for requires me to go to a brick and mortar and almost all the classes have labs. With how my current TDY and uncertain schedule is I would be lucky to get 3 classes done before my 20 is up. So that would still leave me 3+ years from finishing my degree and that is not acceptable (in my plan).

lexustech48 likes this.
  10. P49Y-CY

P49Y-CY selfie deaths ftw Established Member

Do you guys get retirement benefits only when you put in 20 years?

11. mysticsvt

That is the norm yes.

P49Y-CY likes this.
  12. 1 Alibi 2

Depends on how damaged you are @ the end of 20..

PhoenixM3 likes this.
  13. P49Y-CY

P49Y-CY selfie deaths ftw Established Member

no, i meant what was the time frame to become eligible. i understand there are other types of benefits, disability, etc.

but yeah if someone is already at 15 years, sounds like it sure would be best to try to hang in until 20

14. ssj4sadie

For the most part, yes 20 years before you’re eligible for retirement. There is a new system called the Blended Retirement System, which has mandatory Thrift Saving Plan contribution and matching funds up to 6% (IIRC) of base pay. But I am not in that system, I am in the 20 years or nothing boat.

There is the possibility of being either medically retired/separated. But those are not super common. But with all the shit wrong with me, I’m hopefully looking at one of those. Between my neck/spine, ****ed up knees, and ****ed up eyes I’m pretty useless to the mission to be honest.

15. Weather Man

Weather Man Persistance Is A Bitch Premium Member Established Member

Do not underestimate the value of retired health insurance. Not saying don't get out, but do understand completely the numbers.

nofire likes this.
  16. Weather Man

Weather Man Persistance Is A Bitch Premium Member Established Member

Also, when the VA tried to kill me, I used my retired tricare to see a civilian provider.

PhoenixM3 likes this.
  17. mysticsvt

My uncles friend recently died from sleep apnea. To many it sounds like a joke but it's legit. It never hurts to see......

18. ssj4sadie

Oh I understand. But it is no longer worth it to me.

I definitely have sleep apnea. Never got it diagnosed as I didn’t want to not be chosen for a deployment because of a medical condition (been skirting getting MEB’ed for the same reason). But now I have appts lined up to get all my problems documented and see how the cards fall.

PhoenixM3 and mysticsvt like this.
  19. 1 Alibi 2

Good luck, it's a long inning game..

20. CobraBob

CobraBob Authorized Vendor Premium Member Established Member

Just out of curiosity, what is an average retirement benefit (not including other benefits like disability, health) for a 20 year term of service?