What would you do for wheels.

BROK3N-SVT

Established Member
So now that my modding is pretty much done for the winter, its time to figure out my wheel/tire setup. I am very torn between big and littles or a 19 or 20" wheel.

My car is on the street most if the time with track days here and there.

I want to have traction on the roads to get on it and not worry about spinning the tires. A little is fine. Just for fun we do a lot of roll racing (in Mexico) and usually from a 40 roll. Last year starting in 2nd, I had a few close calls with stock wheels and tires and it made me just park the car for the winter early.

I can't afford both so I have to get one. What would you do? If your choice would be a street wheel and tire, what is a very sticky tire besides a drag radial.

The decision is between

Weld rts 17x4.5 front and a 15x10 rear. Keeping stock wheels for long drives but just running big and littles most of the time

Or

Forgestar f14's 19 or 20x10/11 with a very sticky street tire. Probably just selling stock wheels.

Ethereal_Zer0

Established Member
I'm kind of on the same page. Curious to see what opinions folks have. I want to get new wheels (will prob be a year or so, but researching early), but also only rarely run at the track. I've looked at getting some Dark Stars, but kind of want to widen my stock rims or get another street rim.

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
I just like to look pretty, so I went with some True Forged, 3-piece concave Chicanes.

Any problems with big/littles and your front calipers? I say get a nice 19 or 20 inch wheel and some good tires and call it a day

CD07GT500

Klaus's Bitch
Established Member
I dd my car on dark stars, 17/15 setup. I wanted to buy some light 18 bbs wheels for the street however they are just to damn expensive.

YELL03

Established Member
So now that my modding is pretty much done for the winter, its time to figure out my wheel/tire setup. I am very torn between big and littles or a 19 or 20" wheel.

My car is on the street most if the time with track days here and there.

I want to have traction on the roads to get on it and not worry about spinning the tires. A little is fine. Just for fun we do a lot of roll racing (in Mexico) and usually from a 40 roll. Last year starting in 2nd, I had a few close calls with stock wheels and tires and it made me just park the car for the winter early.

I can't afford both so I have to get one. What would you do? If your choice would be a street wheel and tire, what is a very sticky tire besides a drag radial.

The decision is between

Weld rts 17x4.5 front and a 15x10 rear. Keeping stock wheels for long drives but just running big and littles most of the time

Or

Forgestar f14's 19 or 20x10/11 with a very sticky street tire. Probably just selling stock wheels.

I have a 2011 GT500 Vert with a TVS swap making 600rwhp SAE.

I went with less expensive AMR rims that are fairly light weight 26-27lbs in a 19x8.5 front and 19x10 rear.

I live in PA which is VERY cold in the winters like where you are and potholes are everywhere in the winter.

I already damaged two of the rims, and I was much happier only spending $300 to replace two AMR rims than spending $400 each for Forgestar F14s that look the same.

As for tires....

Since 99% of my driving is on the street I went with Michelin Pilot A/S 3s, 255/40/19 front and 285/35/19 rear, they are pretty sticky in warmer weather, I remember last year being able to hook in 2nd from a 40mph roll in 70 degree sunny weather.

In 40 degree weather or below nothing will stick in 2nd.

Last week I went to the track in 60 degree weather, the car actually hooked in 2nd on the A/S 3s.
Unfortunately I missed 2nd due to the infamous 1-2 grind/lockout forcing me to lift and repeat getting in to 2nd which cost me a lot of time, but it still ran a [email protected] on my 1st get acquainted pass of the day.

I felt a shimmy up top and that is when I noticed my bent rims (drive side front and rear) and a bubbled front Michelin ending my day.

Here is a pic of both rims:

February2014atco009_zps0299bd2d.jpg

February2014atco010_zps603e2380.jpg

February2014atco008_zpscf0051c2.jpg

Last edited:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
You'll have to be careful if you're going to drive on skinnies on the street. One bad pothole and you'll be buying a new wheel. I'd throw some ET Street's on your stock wheels and buy a set of bigs/little for the track.

YELL03

Established Member
You'll have to be careful if you're going to drive on skinnies on the street. One bad pothole and you'll be buying a new wheel. I'd throw some ET Street's on your stock wheels and buy a set of bigs/little for the track.

see above...

Also, the advantage of less expensive 19x10 AMRs is you can buy two extras for $350 total and put some MT ET Street IIs 305/35/19 fopr when you want to track or play.

03blkann

Established Member
I just got rid of my weld rts setup. The car looked great sitting still but driving on the street was a chore. Going around any corner was horrible you could feel the front end roll over the tire. I would recommend buy a sticky rear tire and have fun.

00Whitey

Established Member
I was in the research mode awhile back myself. Like someone else above mentioned, the AMR's are tuff to beat price wise. I researched everything from an 18 X 11 combo with a 325 series tire, 19"s and 20"s u name it I looked. Could not justify the cost of the Forgestar's F14 and ended up with the AMR 20"s with a 305/30 and a 255/35. Kept me very near to stock diameter's front and rear and with more tire width for better traction. So ultimately it was a bit of compromise without running a spacer or relocating bump stops or wacking on the sheet metal for a big tire. Here's the outcome - http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/svt-shelby-gt500-150/997275-new-look.html

BROK3N-SVT

Established Member
I had AMR's on my gt 18x10 on all 4. I parted the gt out when I got the 500 and only got 700 for the AMR's. I'm kicking myself for letting them go now. If I put dr's on my my stock wheels and bought a big and littles then I would still be screwed in the rain.

What I'm thinking of doing is getting the 17/15 welds for track days and our nights out on the street. Then getting a good set of street tires for my 18's on the rears. I feel this will take care of both issues.

cluscher

Established Member
I'd run a forgestar 19x9.5 with a 275/35/19 front and a 19x11 with a 305/30/19 rear. Tires are Hankook ventus rs-3. These are super soft street tires that provide great grip and handling. You can't have the best of all worlds with one setup, but for a street car that needs to handle well with good grip/traction, this is about as good as you're going to get.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread