What would you think of a 2.0-Liter EcoBoost Mustang?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
There was a lot of talk a while back of Ford testing a 2.0-Liter EcoBoost 4-cyl engine in the F-150.
That would seem to indicate that they may be working on rear drive 4-cyl engine applications. It would be logical to drop it into the Mustang.

The EcoBoost 4 is about 55 pounds lighter than a comparable (think 3.7-Liter Mustang) naturally aspirated V6 engine.
It produces up to 16 psi of boost and develops 247 hp at 5500 rpm, 266 lb-ft at 1750-4500 rpm in the upcoming Focus ST.
Just like the power increase the 3.5-Liter EcoBoost recieved when made the move from FWD to RWD (from 365hp/350tq to 365hp/420tq)
we would likely see some sort of an increase in power if the the 2.0-Liter made its way between the Mustang's fenders, perhaps around 300hp.

Ford touts that an EcoBoost engine will deliver up 20% better fuel economy than a larger engine with equivalent power.
It would be safe to assume that we could see up to 35mpg highway in a Mustang with such an engine. That would seem
to be fairly appealing to those who have to commute but don't want to be stuck in an econo-box.

I'd drive one. What do you guys think?​

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
They should do it, high mpg cars and trucks are far exceeding previous sales expectations.

It would probably lap very close to the PP V6 2011 Mustang times too, so fun and frugal at the same time FTW!

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
i think this is an AWESOME idea! options are always a good thing! hate on haters, don't like it? don't buy it! meanwhile, ford will be stealing sales from the hyundai genesis coupe and upcoming toyota/subaru RWD coupe.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
i think this is an AWESOME idea! options are always a good thing! hate on haters, don't like it? don't buy it! meanwhile, ford will be stealing sales from the hyundai genesis coupe and upcoming toyota/subaru RWD coupe.

That would be another benefit. Plus it would be a model that it's domestic competitors don't have an answer for.

pwrshft99

Established Member
There's a reason the Fox bodies were so popular... the base model was fuel efficent 4 cylinder.

Rename the Feista the Focus, make the base Mustang the economical commuter it used to be. If we're lucky it could mean cheaper GTs for the rest of us.

d3m01iti0n

Slow Vehicle Team
Established Member
You would see a lot more Mustangs on the streets. With an EcoBoost being the entry level model, you would see more kids buying them and turning the boost up. V8 is still the way to go, but this would be an excellent move from a sales standpoint.

Fuerza

Established Member
I think it is a good idea. Technology is a good thing, what concerns me is the lack of power from the ecoboost. Doesn't the current V6 have 300hp?

redfiredroptop

Now with more GT500!
Established Member
I think it is a good idea. Technology is a good thing, what concerns me is the lack of power from the ecoboost. Doesn't the current V6 have 300hp?

EcoBoost 3.5-liter V6 engine
The EcoBoost 3.5-liter V6 – standard equipment in the high-performance Taurus SHO – is Ford’s most powerful EcoBoost offering, delivering 365 horsepower and 350 lb.-ft. of torque.

Like all Ford EcoBoost engines, this engine produces peak torque across a broad plateau from 1,500 to 5,250 rpm. Peak torque, building quickly off idle, ensures responsive acceleration.

From the driver’s seat, the result is linear power delivery.

Combining direct injection and a pair of turbochargers, this engine avoids lag by employing impellers that spool up quickly for swift response. The Taurus SHO combination of power, linear torque delivery, all-wheel drive and up to 25 mpg highway is unmatched by competitors.

Users who are viewing this thread