What X pipe do I need???

matnewaccount

Established Member
1997 Cobra Coupe with 04 IRS. I just installed a Steeda (Borla) quiet catback. Can I install an X-pipe/H-pipe to make the exhaust a little louder?
I need something that would fit in between 97 stock headers and the borla IRS CB. THanks. Mat

89armygt

Established Member
Yea a 96-98 cobra X pipe will fit fine. The only difference in the SRA and IRS set up is the routing from the mufflers back. Either over the top or around the bottom.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
The H pipes actually sound louder. I am a believer in the Magnaflow true X for power, but they are quieter than an H.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
The H pipes actually sound louder. I am a believer in the Magnaflow true X for power, but they are quieter than an H.

I would have to disagree..

H-pipe is DEEPER, as an X is more raspy and higher pitched, but I believe my x-pipe made my setup considerably louder

matnewaccount

Established Member
which manufacturer???

Thanks for the quick feedback...
I currently have stock headers, stock H-pipe, and the newly installed steeda (borla quiet) catback which is a little too quiet for me. Is there any specifric manufacturer of X-pipe or H-pipe you guys recommened for a louder sound but nothing too abnoxious to go with this new steeda catback? It has to be catted....or i can get in a lot of crap up here in Ontario. Thanks.

matnewaccount

Established Member
x pipe

If the X is more raspy and higher pitch than i think i will go with that....WHat's the difference between magnaflow, bbk, slp, upr, etc...Thanks

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
I had a Bassani with cats and loved the sound kinda exotic but I also had the Bassani cat-back hope this helps.

kevin01cobra

Friendly MerShaq
Established Member
If the X is more raspy and higher pitch than i think i will go with that....WHat's the difference between magnaflow, bbk, slp, upr, etc...Thanks

The differences vary in Catalytic converter designs and the actual way the x is made in the pipe. The Catalytic Converter designs dont make a difrence but what does maker a diference is the X design. I have an SLP Catted X and the two pipes actually touch over without any assisted metal. I think Maganflow has a chamber like cross over and im not too sure about the the others.
In fact these differences dont really matter. Just for looks. What you should worry about is price and what headers you want to bolt up later.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
The UPR x pipes are inexpensive and good quality.

I know someone that has a Bassani X that will fit and it's in excellent shape. I can find out how much he wants for it if you are interested.

JasonSnake

Established Member
ahh dude. You should have gotten the Stinger catback since you have that IRS. Then you wouldn't even need to worry about changing the mid-pipe if you liked the H-pipe sound

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
I had a Magnaflow catted X on both my 86 GT and my 97 Cobra. I swear by them for the best flow which = the best hp. I now have Hooker LT's and X-pipe but the X is crapt. I plan to buy a Magnaflow True-X mid piece and have a shop custom weld in the rest when I find time over the winter.

GreenSnake

Established Member
A catted x pipe probably won't make much of a difference. I went from stock to o/r h to catted x; the catted x is not noticeably louder than the stock mid pipe. This is all with a slp lm1 catback.

Users who are viewing this thread