What You're Reading/Potential Book Swap

hb712

Established Member
Like the title says, what are you reading?

Beyond discussion/recommendations, it would be cool to facilitate a book swap via this thread if anyone is interested. If you want to take part in it, make sure to note if you're reading a book that cannot be swapped (e.g., Kindle books).

As for me:

Current book: The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas - unabbriged Kindle edition.
On-deck: Beyond fear by Bruce Schneier
In-the-hole: The Divine Comedy by Dante

shurur

Established Member
Kindle
Dostoevsky's The Idiot, Brothers Karamazov...finishing Crime and Punishment.

Also have Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil in the chute.

And Donaldson's Runes of the Earth.

I throw a few Tampa detective novels in to relax between the heavier stuff.

I pick up Vonnegut when on sale....also like some Dan Simmons biographical fiction.

Last edited:

J-Hem

Guy Trilby
Established Member
Kindle

I pick up Vonnegut when on sale....also like some Dan Simmons biographical fiction.

Simmons is the bomb. My favorite writer.:thumbsup:

king nothing

Established Member
Kindle

Dan Simmons is great. Loved the Hyperion books, and Ilium and Olympos were solid as well
I read lots. Unfortunately for the purpose of this thread everything I read is on kindle or nook

Last edited:

hb712

Established Member
Dan Simmons is great. Loved the Hyperion books, and Ilium and Olympos were solid as well
I read lots. Unfortunately for the purpose of this thread everything I read is on kindle or nook

Hey, no biggie if there's nothing to swap. Three posts in and I've already gotten the name of a new author to try it. I consider that a resounding success.

Rambro

Established Member
I'm fascinated with the mob. I just read Murder Machine and For The Sins Of My Father. Both are about Roy Demeo, a viscous capo/soldier from the Gambino family. Both were awesome and once I picked them up I couldn't put them down.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Currently reading The Either/Or Investor - How to Succeed in Global Investing, by Clark Winter

I completely disagree with the author's approach, not sure if I will finish it.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I wonder how many books we could have all read if forum time was devoted to literature.

Thehubster

Established Member
Currently reading the Temeraire series on my Kindle. It is an awesome historical fantasy where the Napoleonic wars are fought with the help of dragons! it is a great take on history. haha

mattadams6552

Established Member
Ive been wanting to read the american sniper book before i got see the movie. Is it worth the money for the 1st edition of the book where he talks about knocking out ventura or just sticking with the walmart special?

Satyr

Established Member
It's been a while since I've picked up a book due to other commitments, but my last read was Skunk Works (takes on the history of Lockheed's R&D and the development of stealth and the blackbird). Prior to that, I read Rogue Warrior by Richard Marcinko (the SEAL who initialized Team 6 training). Both were very easy yet interesting reads. I used to read much more for pleasure an enjoyed a wide array of genres. However, now when I have the time, I usually stick to something that's non-fiction, with history/military being the primary focus.

I'd also recommend the book House of God for anyone that's curious about the lifestyle of medical residents. Albeit a bleak take on things, it sheds some light on the struggles and commitments that are often ignored by the masses.

Last edited:

hb712

Established Member
Ive been wanting to read the american sniper book before i got see the movie. Is it worth the money for the 1st edition of the book where he talks about knocking out ventura or just sticking with the walmart special?

The book and movie differ quite a bit. The general feeling is the same, but there is a whole storyline added to the movie. I do not think it's a prereq to read the book first.

In terms of the punch, I see no reason to find an early edition. Just grab one from Walmart.

mattadams6552

Established Member
Thanks hb712! I was looking on amazon and ebay earlier and the early editions are going for outrageous prices. Ill check walmart out tommorrow morning.

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
Reading Don Quixote (Cervantes), -Edith Grossman translation- right now. Bought it about a week ago. I must say, for a book written in 1605, it is still quite histerical! Btw, The Divine Comedy is amazing. If you play video games, you should play Dante's Inferno after reading.

Last edited:

hb712

Established Member
It's been a while since I've picked up a book due to other commitments, but my last read was Skunk Works (takes on the history of Lockheed's R&D and the development of stealth and the blackbird). Prior to that, I read Rogue Warrior by Richard Marcinko (the SEAL who initialized Team 6 training). Both were very easy yet interesting reads. I used to read much more for pleasure an enjoyed a wide array of genres. However, now when I have the time, I usually stick to something that's non-fiction, with history/military being the primary focus.

I'd also recommend the book House of God for anyone that's curious about the lifestyle of medical residents. Albeit a bleak take on things, it sheds some light on the struggles and commitments that are often ignored by the masses.

If you liked Marcinko's writing, he has a couple fiction pieces that aren't bad. Although most of what you read in Rogue Warrior is outdated and that team had to do a lot to overcome his issues, his writing is still entertaining.

If you like special operations history, I suggest SEAL Team Six: Memoirs of an Elite Navy SEAL Sniper by Howard Wasdin. It is by far the best book I have read on that more specific subject.

J-Hem

Guy Trilby
Established Member
Thanks hb712! I was looking on amazon and ebay earlier and the early editions are going for outrageous prices. Ill check walmart out tommorrow morning.

Thank you for the tip I had no idea ! I have two 1st edition copies just put one on Ebay. Sweet !

Users who are viewing this thread