Whatever it's worth

StreetSnake

Established Member
I went to the Fort Lauderdale/Broward County Auto Show last night. They had the Shelby on display there. I quizzed the 3 guys from the Ford dealer who were working the show, and they claim the price that they have been told is still 39-40K for the coupe and 44-45K for the Vert. :beer: :beer:

broeli

Established Member
I wouldn't doubt it'll be 39-40k base price. Then you add destination, gas guzzler, and options and it'll quickly make the coupe more like mid-40's. :(

chuckstang

Established Member
what options???
I mean the interior upgrade package for the aluminum pedals couldnt cost too much
and who the hek needs the mach 1000, although I would not mind it either

broeli

Established Member
At minimum there will be the interior upgrade that will probably run around $500 and the Mach 1000 stereo that will be around $1700. Then add gas guzzler and an $800 destination charge and you'll be seeing many GT500's with a $45,000 sticker price from Ford...even if the "base price" is 39,xxx.

Hopefully I'm wrong though and they are stickered at 39,000 fully loaded with destination, etc. That is where it SHOULD be priced. Mid 30's "base" (35k) and 39k or so loaded. :)

Last edited:

Route66

Established Member
broeli said:
At minimum there will be the interior upgrade that will probably run around $500 and the Mach 1000 stereo that will be around $1700. Then add gas guzzler and an $800 destination charge and you'll be seeing many GT500's with a $45,000 sticker price from Ford...even if the "base price" is 39,xxx.

Hopefully I'm wrong though and they are stickered at 39,000 fully loaded with destination, etc. That is where it SHOULD be priced. Mid 30's "base" (35k) and 39k or so loaded. :)

If a 2004 Cobra was $35,370, why would a 2007 start at $35,000? Remember, they have to pay Shelby something and I'm sure the 5.4 cost a little more than the 4.6.

broeli

Established Member
I didn't say it would start at 35k I said it SHOULD :) We all know the '04 Cobras were selling for well below sticker..the last year of production their true value was closer to $30k. Don't you remember when they said the Shelby would be priced about the same as the previous Cobras?
A 2dr premium GT was 24,800 in '04. The '06 GT premium is 26,300. If it only went up $1500 with the new design and improvements, then the GT500 should only go up that amount. Do you REALLY think the 5.4 costs Ford much more money?? It doesn't. So Ford should price the thing around 36,500 and quit trying to make an extra buck off of customers with the Shelby name.

chuckstang

Established Member
wow
people that see this car costing too much just dont know Cobra mustangs well because look at how the price has increased about the same amount each time a new model comes out.
99/01=30k
03/04=35k
07/08=40k

wow, look at that, a pattern, what do you know

mrGT

Established Member
broeli said:
I didn't say it would start at 35k I said it SHOULD :) We all know the '04 Cobras were selling for well below sticker..the last year of production their true value was closer to $30k. Don't you remember when they said the Shelby would be priced about the same as the previous Cobras?
A 2dr premium GT was 24,800 in '04. The '06 GT premium is 26,300. If it only went up $1500 with the new design and improvements, then the GT500 should only go up that amount. Do you REALLY think the 5.4 costs Ford much more money?? It doesn't. So Ford should price the thing around 36,500 and quit trying to make an extra buck off of customers with the Shelby name.
First off, you can't use a "year end price" to establish the next's year model price. I don't know the facts, but I'll bet there were some Terminators that sold for several thousand over the $35K sticker in the beginning. I would agree that if Ford made an 06 Terminator, the price may very well be stickered near $36K. But the GT500 isn't an 06 Term, not even an 07 Term....it's an 07 Shelby with not only a larger s/c engine, but a better transmission, suspension and a lot of other improvements. So I feel that a $39-40K sticker is in the ballpark myself.

So I don't see Ford making a lot of "big" bucks off this car.

broeli

Established Member
mrGT said:
First off, you can't use a "year end price" to establish the next's year model price. I don't know the facts, but I'll bet there were some Terminators that sold for several thousand over the $35K sticker in the beginning. I would agree that if Ford made an 06 Terminator, the price may very well be stickered near $36K. But the GT500 isn't an 06 Term, not even an 07 Term....it's an 07 Shelby with not only a larger s/c engine, but a better transmission, suspension and a lot of other improvements. So I feel that a $39-40K sticker is in the ballpark myself.

So I don't see Ford making a lot of "big" bucks off this car.
I think Chevy did just as many improvements to the 'Vette over a two year span (50 more hp, better handling, new design body) and according to carsdirect the base msrp of an 04 Vette was 43,700. Base price of an '06 Vette is 43,690. Hmm...why can't Ford do the same? Hell in '02 the Vette "base price" was 41,680. As you can see Fords increase in price is complete BS. Improvements are made in ALL cars year after year...but they don't get the same 15-20% price increase that Ford puts on the SVT (Cobra/Shelby) Mustang. :nonono:

broeli

Established Member
chuckstang said:
wow
people that see this car costing too much just dont know Cobra mustangs well because look at how the price has increased about the same amount each time a new model comes out.
99/01=30k
03/04=35k
07/08=40k

wow, look at that, a pattern, what do you know
Just because they are on the same pattern doesn't make it right and it doesn't mean it isn't too much. ;-)

broeli

Established Member
broeli said:
I think Chevy did just as many improvements to the 'Vette over a two year span (50 more hp, better handling, new design body) and according to carsdirect the base msrp of an 04 Vette was 43,700. Base price of an '06 Vette is 43,690. Hmm...why can't Ford do the same? Hell in '02 the Vette "base price" was 41,680. As you can see Fords increase in price is complete BS. Improvements are made in ALL cars year after year...but they don't get the same 15-20% price increase that Ford puts on the SVT (Cobra/Shelby) Mustang. :nonono:

As a little comparison check out this link: http://www.carsdirect.com/research/...des=USB60CHC062A0,USB10CHC062A0,USA90CHC062A0

It's AMAZING from 1999 to 2006 the Corvette went up only $4500 in price DESPITE the HUGE improvements. You STILL think its impossible for Ford to do the same?? :D
This is a very fair comparison.
I won't even show you the same type of slight price increases other companies did despite improvements over the same time frame....but there are plenty.

Last edited:

broeli

Established Member
chuckstang said:
I would say the jump from the 01 to 03 cobra is more substantial then any new model base vette of recent
Really? Ok. How about this then..from 96 to 06 the Vette only went up $6000. Since '93 it has went up a total of $9000. http://www.carsdirect.com/research/...2A0,USA90CHC062A0,USA60CHC061A0,USA30CHC061A0
It has went through 13-14 years of improvements and has increased 25% in price. IF the Shelby is $40k it has increased about 35% in price since '99...or 10% more in half the time. The 'Vette is becoming more affordable while the SVT Mustangs are becoming less affordable.
I'm just trying to point out that the Shelby or the new SVT Mustang is no longer the performance bargain. IT is now priced right in line with the 'Vette.

mrGT

Established Member
broeli said:
If you think Chevy is doing a better job of keeping the price down, thereby seeing it as a better buy, then you should buy a vette. You will have a better feeling about the company and your purchase. But you may want to do it before the demand for a Vette goes up....thereby the price.

Ford makes the call on the price....you make the call on what you buy.

chuckstang

Established Member
once again though, Ford has made a larger jump in performance since 99 then the vette IMO
Vettes are just kinda boring for my tastes. Im only 22 though

Krazy4u2

Established Member
mrGT said:

If I can find the Shelby for 40K I'm buying one. For me this is a resonable price for the car package.

Users who are viewing this thread