Whats causing my rear right tire to wear 50x faster then my rear left?

DSG03Snake

Established Member
I just went out to check my tire pressure, etc today because I havent had a chance to drive in a few weeks, and I noticed that my rear right tire has almost no tread at all on it, while the rear left still has quite a bit of tread.

What is causing the uneven tire wear? I only have 5k miles and I really dont do many hard launches or burnouts, so what is the most likely cause?

Anyone else have this problem? Only people who have ever handled my wheels and tires are the ford dealership.

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
My right one is bald and the left still has a little tread left. :dw:

Nitto 315's will be here tomorrow.

NukeX

My Shit Got Keyed, Yo
Established Member
My rear tires are both almost dead no tread @ 7500 miles. The fronts look like their brand new and I've never burned out in my life :(

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
This is just a wild shot in the dark, but is it possible your brake caliper is sticking? Does that wheel feel hot after driving around awhile (compared to the left side)?

11secCobra

Way2Fast4These LS1 guys
Established Member
the brake rotor doesent really have anything to do with the tread on the tire.

even under hard acceleration without spinning, a lot of rubber is being rubbed off the tire

03_Snake

Established Member
The same thing is happening to me!

Do you think it may be because we all turn more to the right than to the left? The unweighted Right Rear tire would tend to slip more, even with the "limited slip" diff, am I correct??

This could account for it. I think statistically, we turn more to the right than left.

Anyone with data please jump in!

kpinco

Established Member
Your alignment might be off. There is an aligment spec for the rear end (IRS). When I had mine dropped they did a 4 wheel alignment.

Anything to do with bad tire wear is caused by low/too much tire pressure or alignment.

My 2 cents.:beer:

kpinco

Established Member
Originally posted by 11secCobra
lol im tellin yall, its a bad posi and your only accelerating with one tire

Ahhh.....I read his post wrong.

I second what 11secCobra said!
:lol:

vector

1st Whipple in the 10's
Established Member
Might have excessive toe in or out or camber even, or the hole alignment of the car is just fubared

dolphinron

Established Member
My rear tires are both almost dead no tread @ 7500 miles. The fronts look like their brand new and I've never burned out in my life
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have to be kidding, your whole life? You own a car like this and not even once tried to feel that experience. Well since your tires are worn down, don't you think it is time to lay some rubber since you need new ones anyway.

Narcosynthesis

Knees in the Breeze!
Established Member
Originally posted by dolphinron
My rear tires are both almost dead no tread @ 7500 miles. The fronts look like their brand new and I've never burned out in my life
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have to be kidding, your whole life? You own a car like this and not even once tried to feel that experience. Well since your tires are worn down, don't you think it is time to lay some rubber since you need new ones anyway.

Even in my old camaro SS I never did a burnout :( Tires arent cheap.

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
Originally posted by 11secCobra
lol im tellin yall, its a bad posi and your only accelerating with one tire

Well thats just great. DR's going on this week and now I need the service dept to take a look at my rear end.

nuke6

Established Member
Worn tires

The same thing happened to me. 10,000 miles and the right rear was showing cords, and the left rear still had some tread left. I would only rarely burn the tires off, with mostly just heavy acceleration. I'm thinking that it takes a second for the limited slip to lock in, and that's what is causing the increased wear.

DSF

Warranty? Whats that?
Established Member
Re: Worn tires

see them in the shop alot for clutch packs in ther posi unit wore out.

its easy to check yourself. just jack the rear end off the ground so the rear tires are off the ground. Have someone hold one rear tire while you try to turn the other. There should be quite a bit of resistance trying to turn the tire. if it turns relatively easy, then you have a bad posi, probably in the clutch packs in the spider gears!

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i had the same thing - alot more wear on the right side

but now ive got 20,000 and its way overdue for the bfg g-force t/a kd's (all around)

=)

peace

DSG03Snake

Established Member
Has anyone who has had this problem solved it? I dont even have a jack right now, we just built our garage so I never had any place to work on it, so I pretty much have to take it to a shop or dealership.

Considering bitching to the ford dealership if alignment is the problem since they realigned it before I drove it off the lot.

Hope its not a bad posi, because that would just be blamed on abuse, even tho I really dont have 'hard' launches at all.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i actually believe that i had it solved with an alignment, but by then right tires were too far gone to be able to really tell -

i will keep my eyes peeled on the new tires.

y'all who have this problem, is your car 2003 first or second run? just curious if any correlation - mine is second run

PhillyCobra

Established Member
I think that torque of driveshaft rotating rear end causes left rear to push down and right rear to lift, if uncorrected. That's why rear usually slides to left when you're really on it-- the left gets more traction. That's why the right wears more if the clutch pack is shot. That's also why you tend to add weight on the right rear of car for racing (for instance if you're putting battery in the trunk).

Users who are viewing this thread