Whats causing my rear right tire to wear 50x faster then my rear left?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Originally posted by PhillyCobra
I think that torque of driveshaft rotating rear end causes left rear to push down and right rear to lift, if uncorrected. That's why rear usually slides to left when you're really on it-- the left gets more traction. That's why the right wears more if the clutch pack is shot. That's also why you tend to add weight on the right rear of car for racing (for instance if you're putting battery in the trunk).

BINGO!!!!
also everytime you gas out of a right hander the diff clutchs are taking it on the chin, whether you notice spin or not.

If it is alignment or inflation you will see some form of ....uneven wear... across the tread or edge of the tread.

You can jack the car with the jack it came with.... with one wheel down, and one up, you should be able to put a big pry bar or broom handle between the wheel studs( w/ the wheel off) and overpower the clutchs in the diff by turning the wheel if it takes very little force, then you need diff clutches....
I'm looking forward to doing open track events when I get mine so i have been pricing Torsen T2R diffs... they are awesome both for full blown road racers and for autocross/street/open track guys.... I have even heard that some of the drag guys like em... although there are stronger units available if running slicks etc.
Jimmy

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
I think Philly's explanation makes sense. That said, the question remaining is, how did he wear out his clutch pack if he doesn't do any hard launches? (DSG03 - your horseshittin' us about not doin' burnouts, right?! ;-) )

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
Dosen't anyone rotate their tires? I've got 6500 miles and have rotated them every 3000 miles and they all still have plenty of tread left.

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Man, with these cars you don't have to do burnouts to wear out the clutch packs. Over 400 lbft. X 2.7 1st gear X 3.55 rear end equals almost 4000 lbft going out the diff!! And that's stock.

Torsens are not popular for drag racing. Some people have put in Auburns, and there's a new unit out that has an electronic lock up function to totally lock the rear for the strip. Real interested to see how that works (much simpler system than Jeep is using with air lock up on Rubicons).

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Yeah, I saw a write up on that Eaton E-locker. Sounded like a nice unit. When my wife bought her new Tacoma I noticed they had an electronic locking rear. I said, WTF!! How come we don't have that, LOL!

DSG03Snake

Established Member
Originally posted by VERTIBLEMENACE
i actually believe that i had it solved with an alignment, but by then right tires were too far gone to be able to really tell -

i will keep my eyes peeled on the new tires.

y'all who have this problem, is your car 2003 first or second run? just curious if any correlation - mine is second run
Its run 2 built in January 03.

ntechnic

Established Member
I yanked my trac-lok at 600 miles and put the Torsen in. The trac-lok was never designed for this kind of torque, the clutches are tortured constantly.

Anyway, at 600 miles, my clutches looked bad, amazingly bad for only 600 miles. I put the Torsen in and love it. Rebuilt trac-lok went into my Aviator (which shockingly came from the factory with open diff!). Happy all around.

rebuild or upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread