what's done to this car?

mysticalsnake

Established Member
Alright, there's a local around here that claims he on fully stock motor, a 100shot, and no weigh reduction what so ever in a 97 Cobra but runs 11.3x's with a fastest ever of 11.1. Usually cuts 1.5x or 1.6x 60' times. He does leave on 15x10 26" slicks. So is he actually telling the truth? If not what are you guessing is done to the car?

WaffleGT

FNFSTSVT
Established Member
mmmmmm..have to call BS on that one. Prolly forged bottem end, +20 over, ported heads, intake and 200 shot:dw:

mysticalsnake

Established Member
he says he has absolutely no weight reduction, just a racing suspension. that the nitrous popped the intake off and that was it. I thought that whenever you had a backfire like that it generally caused a lot more damage than simply popping the intake off. i'm pretty sure he has full tubular suspension and just won't own up to it. And i'm about 1000% positive it's a SRA...but he claims no weight savings, but going SRA on an IRS cobra IS weight savings...hm...

mysticalsnake

Established Member
c'mon guys, i've already called bullshit on this guy and he can't stand it and keeps swearing up and down that all he's got is what i know...but it just doesn't add up. I need more leverage. What's the only other thing i could tell him to do? take off the bottle and see what he runs?

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
people who spray lie about the pill size to make them feel better.. it's a good 200 shot to make his pile run that fast without weight reduction. What is his mph? Somewhere around 125 I would imagine and that takes power.. 480-500 ish to be honest.. which is a 200 shot.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Well if he does have a 200 shot then he definitely has a forged bottom end. That motor isn't going to handle that for long.

mysticalsnake

Established Member
i have found out now that he leaves the line on the spray...but i still wouldn't imagine it dropping his times a full second over what physics is telling me it runs

crystal_SVT

Established Member
i have found out now that he leaves the line on the spray...but i still wouldn't imagine it dropping his times a full second over what physics is telling me it runs

soo hes runnin nearly high 10's with a 150 shot an no other engine mods.. lol :bs:.. typical 96-98 cobras run low 12's with a 100-150 shot and around 114ish from what ive seen. either hes a lieing sack a crap or he has way more done than what hes tellin you.

Last edited:

99SERPENT

this isn't good
Established Member
A guy I know who had a 97 Cobra in our area was running low 11's high 10's all day with a 150 shot. I know the guy pretty well and he was running a stock bottom end launching at 5 grand. The car had a few weight reduction mods including a tubular k member but everything was pretty stock as far as I could see. I would have never believed it had I not witnessed it lol.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
If he does have tubular suspension then that is some weight reduction. Built rear to handle 1.5 60's on slicks.

With all boltons, full exhaust and well tuned on the right suspension with a perfect driver I'd say low 11s may be possible but I've never seen it. lol

red9450

Established Member
I think it's Bite Mark that ran a high 11 all motor stock bottom end, with some weight reduction, so throw a little bit of weight back in and add 125-150 extra hp and I think it is doable.

99SERPENT

this isn't good
Established Member
If he does have tubular suspension then that is some weight reduction. Built rear to handle 1.5 60's on slicks.

With all boltons, full exhaust and well tuned on the right suspension with a perfect driver I'd say low 11s may be possible but I've never seen it. lol

Only things I could see on the car were headers, exhaust and a pulley kit. He also had a built rear out of a 99 GT. Other than that he didn't have anything else lol. This car was an aboslute freak! Plus he is a very exceptional driver lol.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
.. lol :bs:.. typical 96-98 cobras run low 12's with a 100-150 shot and around 114ish from what ive seen. either hes a lieing sack a crap or he has way more done than what hes tellin you.

Typical 96-98s aren't launching at 5K on slicks and pulling 1.5 60's either.

Big difference,
and launching on the spray, I think it is very possible. if everthing is right.

2V99GT

SVT God
Established Member
theres a local 2v with CAI, o/r h pipe, stickies, and 100 shot running 11.9's.. so this doesnt seem too far off from that.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
I think it's Bite Mark that ran a high 11 all motor stock bottom end, with some weight reduction, so throw a little bit of weight back in and add 125-150 extra hp and I think it is doable.

Stock longblock but close enough. :thumbsup: 11.7@115. I'm sure if I do a gear change and put a 100shot it'd go tens. But I assure you I'm not full weight either. lol.

But I think to go 11.3-11.1 on a 100shot is a little steep. To hit 11.3's with say a sub 1.6 60ft you'd have to be trapping atleast 118mph. I don't think he can trap 118mp or so on a 100shot and full weight. I think he has some other things done he's not telling you.

FWIW my buddy had a 96 cobra and at full weight, slicks, BBK LT's, O/R H, with a 150 shot went 11.77@115 w/ a 1.55 60'.

Cobra99Dave on corral had a 99 cobra go 11.89 n/a stock longblock then put a 150shot on it and it went 10.89. But full bolt-ons, drag suspension, and weight reduction. -Mark

crystal_SVT

Established Member
Typical 96-98s aren't launching at 5K on slicks and pulling 1.5 60's either.

Big difference,
and launching on the spray, I think it is very possible. if everthing is right.

true but hes claiming everything is stock with no weigh reduction thats why i dont see this happening even under the best conditions. high 11's i can def. see but not low 11's unless the car has alot more to it.

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
true but hes claiming everything is stock with no weigh reduction thats why i dont see this happening even under the best conditions. high 11's i can def. see but not low 11's unless the car has alot more to it.

I agree, but going by the OP saying he thinks he has full tubular suspension tells me there is weight reduction.

I guess we all agree that there is more to the story. lol

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
Weight reduction, exceptional driver and track conditions, 1.5 60, a low 11 is possible with a 100 shot.. but the car would almost need to run bottom 12's n/a to have this happen. Like #3200 with driver kinda weight. cause that's a 380-400 rwhp 470 rwtq car.. physics will own it if not other wise mentioned above mods and conditions.. simple facts. These cars have been around fro awhile.. we know our shit!

Users who are viewing this thread