What's It Worth?

MidNight Snake

Established Member
I used to be an active member on here about six to eight years ago, and I am hoping you guys can give me a little advice. Awhile ago, I blew a plug on my 98 Cobra coupe with black/black. I figured, why I was at it, I might as well get forged internals. So out came the motor, pulled the heads, and sent my short block to VT Engines, who I hear are no longer in business. It got Manley H-Beam rods, forged pistons, and a high flow oil pump. I believe it was around $3,500 back in 2006.

Well, it's 2012 now and the short block is still wrapped and on its crate. When I was working on it I got a DUI, then moved out of my parents house where the Cobra still is. I picked up a house, a wife, a kid, and a dog along the way. With different priorities, I am more interested salvaging what I can, and was wondering what my best options are for getting the car out of my parents garage and getting the most money for it. The car itself is in very good condition. It only had 50k-60k miles on it. All of the parts are there, most bagged, tagged, and neatly organized. I never did get the head out for repair. I was also planning on replacing the transmission, which would grind with a fast shift to second.

It was over $15k when I got it. It looks like prices have really dropped on these cars since the new body style came out. What do you think is my best course of action? Part it out, fix it and sell it, or sell it as is? What would be a reasonable offer?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
its gonna cost a few grand to put it back I am sure, if your not interested in the car for yourself you prob. will do better just selling it as a roller and parting it out. The time cost and headache of putting together a car that has been sitting for 6 years is prob. not worth it.

MidNight Snake

Established Member
its gonna cost a few grand to put it back I am sure, if your not interested in the car for yourself you prob. will do better just selling it as a roller and parting it out. The time cost and headache of putting together a car that has been sitting for 6 years is prob. not worth it.

What do you think I can get for it?

MidNight Snake

Established Member
Maybe I'm going about this wrong. I'll ask it a different way.

Could I get $3,000 - $4,000 for the short block?
Could I get $2,000 - $3,000 for the body?
Could I get $500 - $1,000 for misc engine components?

Could I get $5,500 - $8,000 for the whole thing?
Should expect closer to $4,000 - $6,000 for convenience of a single sale?

If I got it in good running order could I get $10,000 - $12,000 for it?

Assuming $6,000 is the best I can do selling it as is, and $10,000 is the worst I can do if in good running order, that leaves me $4,000 to fix it. $4,000 sounds like enough for a transmission, misc gaskets & parts, and probably even having someone machine and install the heads. None of that sounds too out of line to me.

Is there any error in my thinking?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I merged you to your old name. Also changed email to the new one you used incase you need a password reset.

Next time just shoot me an email.

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
Maybe I'm going about this wrong. I'll ask it a different way.

Could I get $3,000 - $4,000 for the short block?
Could I get $2,000 - $3,000 for the body?
Could I get $500 - $1,000 for misc engine components?

Could I get $5,500 - $8,000 for the whole thing?
Should expect closer to $4,000 - $6,000 for convenience of a single sale?

If I got it in good running order could I get $10,000 - $12,000 for it?

Assuming $6,000 is the best I can do selling it as is, and $10,000 is the worst I can do if in good running order, that leaves me $4,000 to fix it. $4,000 sounds like enough for a transmission, misc gaskets & parts, and probably even having someone machine and install the heads. None of that sounds too out of line to me.

Is there any error in my thinking?

Some error...if you think your going to get a minimum of 10k for a 98 Cobra that hasn't moved in years, your a more than a little off. Lots of clean 96-98's sell for $6-$7K everyday. I've personally bought a black on black 97 with 47k miles for $6500 a couple years ago to put that in perspective.

Cars are not investments. At this point, sell the pieces and get whatever you can for them.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Considering you forged the motor, if you put it all back together with a good tranny you're looking at 6-7K running in this market.
Maybe 8K wih the forged bottom and low miles if it is clean.

As is in a package deal 3=3.5K all together not finished and that may be pushing it.

MMR has short blocks From 500-900HP availible for 1500-3K So don't evpect 3K for a VT shortblock that was built 7 years ago.
You may get 1K for it.

IMO your best bet is to find some used heads, fix the tranny don't buy a new one or completely build it, just fix it.
Put it back together and start at 8K.
You can at least get some of your money back.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Considering you forged the motor, if you put it all back together with a good tranny you're looking at 6-7K running in this market.
Maybe 8K wih the forged bottom and low miles if it is clean.

As is in a package deal 3=3.5K all together not finished and that may be pushing it.

MMR has short blocks From 500-900HP availible for 1500-3K So don't evpect 3K for a VT shortblock that was built 7 years ago.
You may get 1K for it.

IMO your best bet is to find some used heads, fix the tranny don't buy a new one or completely build it, just fix it.
Put it back together and start at 8K.
You can at least get some of your money back.

Wow I would've guessed the short block was worth more but if MMR's are going for that than I guess that is about right.

Users who are viewing this thread