What's next? Cams and headers?

sask10

Established Member
So I posted awhile back on what my next mod was going to be and my initial plan was to add a 10% lower but most agreed that would be too much boost for my setup (VMP TVS Gen I w/ 2.5 upper) and still be able to run pump gas. I'm wondering now if the "NSR" cams from L&M with long tubes might be a better choice. With this mod will I still be able to run on pump gas? What kind of gains do you'd think I'd see?

Also as an after thought both the headers and cams should drop the boost significantly. Could I, after these mods, still put the 10% lower on and be below 18 psi. Let's hear you opinions.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
I would guess you would pick up 50-70 HP with those added mods.

I'd do that before adding a 10%. You can always add the OD

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
Cams and headers are both costly installs and the parts themselves. I would do just the headers and maybe the overdrive. I'm saving cams for when/if I replace the stock bottom end. For the price of cams and the install you can buy a FR short block

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Lets start with what is your goal for the car and its purpose? Those things all play into a educated response...headers and cams arent installs for a novice home mechanic so if your paying for those installs its approx $2000 + just in install costs. Then add in the $1400 for headers and mid pipe and cams $1300 & springs $500 & retainers $400...thats roughly $5000 in cost if you havent priced it out.

Last edited:

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
See mods in sig....still on pump gas. I had the 10% on and had to remove it...to much boost. 21.5 pounds of boost with 10%....17.5% without it. If I'm not mistaken the headers will shed some boost and the cams too....at least that was the conclusion my team came too.

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
See mods in sig....still on pump gas. I had the 10% on and had to remove it...to much boost. 21.5 pounds of boost with 10%....17.5% without it. If I'm not mistaken the headers will shed some boost and the cams too....at least that was the conclusion my team came too.

1320 Junkie is right on with his estimate....between cams and headers and install I'm in for around $5100.00. Might be alot of money but, you'll forget all about that once you turn the key....trust me..worth every penny!

sask10

Established Member
As far as the install goes I'm not afraid of that, I was a diesel mechanic in another life and have had modular Fords apart before granted they weren't in a GT500. I was planning on using L&Ms "NSR" cams which should negate the costs associated with springs and retainers.

My goal here is to produce more then what I currently have and still retain the use of pump gas (although I do use torco for safety but do not want to rely on it). I have not had the car dyno'd since Lund remote tuned it so I'm not exactly sure what it's putting down for numbers but I do know I'd like a little more. Also, the car only sees street duty, no track stuff.

So as far as costs go I'm looking 850 for the headers and 1500 for the cams with all the labor on me.

The 10% OD would only be an option IF the boost levels were lowered enough from the other 2 mods to retain the use of pump fuel (I'm aware the OD would be too much with my current setup).

Now let's look at the numbers. Supposedly a cam change will drop 2-4 psi and headers 1.5-2 psi and I am and will continue to run an off-road xpipe so let's say I gain a little less back pressure there too. Not sure what kind of HP just the headers and cams would net (maybe someone with a similar setup can chime in with some numbers, L&M states 50hp on cams alone) but let's say it's not enough. A 10% OD best case scenario is going to add 4 psi and the other mods will drop from 3.5 to 6 psi(not sure if I can just add those together like that, so maybe someone can shed some light on this). My current setup is likely running ~16 psi so take a conservative 3.5 psi off from the LTs and cams and add the max 4 psi from the OD and I'm sitting @ 16.5 psi and below the max 18 psi recommended for pump fuel. Anyway, with those things taken into account I should be running boost #s equal to or possibly less then my current setup if my logic is sound.

Anyone want to hazard a guess what kind of numbers this setup might put down? I suspect I'm sitting 640ish rwhp right now. Oh and before someone mentions it, I will likely add a BAP to the mix to keep fueling in check.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
That's a different story, if your doing the labor then headers and cams it is as far as I'm concerned. I have kooks LTH's with off rd X, VMP gen II with 2.5 pulley and I'm around 17lbs boost and I'm guesstimating 700 rwhp. As far as fuel goes I have dual Aeromotive 325 pumps and 13 GT500 injectors and I have no fuel issues.

sask10

Established Member
Am I missing something here? After looking at both your setups a ~2.4 and a 2.5" upper should give ~18 psi and 17psi respectively and those numbers are supposedly at sea level so any elevation would lessen them slightly. Both of you have mods which should have affected boost numbers but didn't? My setup is supposed to be a 17psi system but I barely see 16 with an off-road xpipe @ 2000 ft on my mech boost gage.

Last edited:

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
Just for a gauge I'm at 14psi with my mods at ~3200 feet. I say go for the headers and then cams. Cams are more of a PITA. Plus you might as well build it while the motor is out. Headers aren't too bad but hey if you're paying the labor then I'd do them both at the same time. While the motor is out the headers will be a lot easier to change out...more bang for the buck.

Users who are viewing this thread