What's one thing someone told you about a car that made you think "What?"

blk02edge

Established Member
I get a lot of people surprised that vipers weren't built for drag racing. But the dumb comment memory that stuck with me was my high school shop teacher saying that your 1/4 mile trap speed will always match your et, so if you run 14 flat, you'll be doing 100mph or 12 flat and you'll be doing 120mph, doesn't matter what car

lilcoop03

Established Member
I was picking up my chevelle frame after sandblasting and an old timer told me back in the day he had a '57 Chevy with a quick change he'd put 5.something gears in it and it would pull the tires on the street. He had to cut a hole in the floor so he could see....I waned to say, yeah sure on your hard as rock polyglass tires?, pull your mullet out of your ass you fossil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LOLZ @ the hole in the floor to see. That shit just made my day

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... I've had a guy tell me a part I wanted wasn't compatible for my car after checking his system. Told him "I'll just take my chance with it, thanks."

I've had to do that so many times!

I remember taking my '99 GT in to the dealer for something one time. The service writer asked me if it had leaf springs. I said "nevermind" and left.

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
I always hate when you are having a conversation with someone and initially, you are thinking they might actually half-way know what they are talking about. And then they spew off some crap like "yeah, I sure miss my 2001 boss 302!" Just can't take people like that seriously a second longer. Been forced to walk away from conversations one too many times for that reason.

Example, was at the post office the other day and had decided to take the car since it was nice out. Pulled in to the parking lot, and immediately a guy walks up. First words out of his mouth was "I've got an 02 gt500 sitting at the house identical to this." What do you even say at that point? lol

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I always hate when you are having a conversation with someone and initially, you are thinking they might actually half-way know what they are talking about. And then they spew off some crap like "yeah, I sure miss my 2001 boss 302!" Just can't take people like that seriously a second longer. Been forced to walk away from conversations one too many times for that reason.

Example, was at the post office the other day and had decided to take the car since it was nice out. Pulled in to the parking lot, and immediately a guy walks up. First words out of his mouth was "I've got an 02 gt500 sitting at the house identical to this." What do you even say at that point? lol

I was getting gas in my 98 about 10 years ago. I had this guy walk up to my car asking me how much I paid for my new GT500. They seriously look nothing alike. Not even a little.
I politely told him it is a 98 Cobra. He actually got mad at me and thought I was making fun of him or something. I showed him the registration and he shut the **** right up.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
Have any of you ever said something ridiculous by mistake? That's the worst.

I have had somewhere in the neighborhood of 60... maybe 65 cars in my lifetime. I'm up to #32 on my USAA plan, and I have used them for less than half my driving career. Some of them were pretty wild and some were A to B... but I have had so many, that when it comes to the cars I own a decade ago or more, the tech blurs from car to car. Every once in awhile, I'll say something totally retarded.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
When driving my stock, Teal/Opal, 1993 Cobra, I have had compliments along the line of "Nice car" or " Nice Mustang" immediately followed with "what year is it?"

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
When driving my stock, Teal/Opal, 1993 Cobra, I have had compliments along the line of "Nice car" or " Nice Mustang" immediately followed with "what year is it?"
That's not terribly unexpected. It is a 25 year old car. Fox body sightings are few and far between these days.

Sent from my STV100-1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

BJCobra99

Established Member
I remember in the early 90s, I was a kid, and saw a 68 or 69 mustang pull up in front of the grocery store. Car was rusty and was missing the M in Mustang. My buddy points it out and says...look at that Rustang! We both laughed and to this day if I see a rusty stang I point it out to my kids and say see the Rustang?! Hahaha

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
It's funny how many people who have to tell me that the Viper is a dangerous car to drive.
Even though they've never driven one.
And when I proceed to telling them that no, it's one of the easiest high HP cars I've driven, they continue denying that trying to argue with me that it's a death trap.
I proceed asking the guy what he drives "2008 GT500". Now THAT'S a death trap in comparision.

Also funny with my Thunderbird. It looks like a less bricky version of a Volvo 740.
Nobody knows what it is, nobody even acknowledge it.
Until I start it up. I can barely leave the parking spot as people flock around it like vultures asking what the hell it is (Prochargers are loud, as most of you know).

Saleen498

Established Member
In 2014 I had some kid on the night sort at work come in ranting and raving about the new 2015 mustang out in the parking lot. It was my 2002 saleen.
I also work with a guy with a 02 gt, bassani cat back and a "chip" according to him it put down over 400hp on the dyno

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
It's funny how many people who have to tell me that the Viper is a dangerous car to drive.
Even though they've never driven one.
And when I proceed to telling them that no, it's one of the easiest high HP cars I've driven, they continue denying that trying to argue with me that it's a death trap.
I proceed asking the guy what he drives "2008 GT500". Now THAT'S a death trap in comparision.

Also funny with my Thunderbird. It looks like a less bricky version of a Volvo 740.
Nobody knows what it is, nobody even acknowledge it.
Until I start it up. I can barely leave the parking spot as people flock around it like vultures asking what the hell it is (Prochargers are loud, as most of you know).

I think a lot of that is carry over from the 96-99 with no ABS or any kind of nanny. Seen 2-3 in ditches over the years and considering how many you see in total people jump to conclusions.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
The other night...

"I tripped over my dog and it triggered my panceatitis"

The lab work determined they were full of shit...no dilaudid for you...bye felicia

blk02edge

Established Member
I think a lot of that is carry over from the 96-99 with no ABS or any kind of nanny. Seen 2-3 in ditches over the years and considering how many you see in total people jump to conclusions.
I find it funny when viper owners try and argue that they aren't dangerous lol. Ive been around a LOT of vipers including a guy who used to race the gts/r back in the late 90's. Yes... They are dangerous cars at the limit

Klay

Established Member
Have any of you ever said something ridiculous by mistake? That's the worst.

I have had somewhere in the neighborhood of 60... maybe 65 cars in my lifetime. I'm up to #32 on my USAA plan, and I have used them for less than half my driving career. Some of them were pretty wild and some were A to B... but I have had so many, that when it comes to the cars I own a decade ago or more, the tech blurs from car to car. Every once in awhile, I'll say something totally retarded.

I'll admit that in my younger years (very early 20's) i had some ricer mentality on some things. I know I used to think the advertised hp an aftermarket part made could just be added to your current hp and that equaled your new total IE intake gives 10 hp and you have 200 already. Therefore you have 210 with it.

As for the topic of stupid stuff I have heard, I had a friend in high school tell me that if you get an intake without modifying your exhaust, your car car blowup.

Even though I knew little about cars at the time, I knew he was full of it.

Rare40th

Established Member
I had a guy walk up to me that's visiting from Oregon and he says "if you run the green handle fuel it'll help your car run more efficient and it's Eco friendly"

In all seriousness my Sister in Law and I got into an argument because she said her Grand Am only had 1 spark plug........ and that's her new nickname

blk02edge

Established Member
I had a guy walk up to me that's visiting from Oregon and he says "if you run the green handle fuel it'll help your car run more efficient and it's Eco friendly"

In all seriousness my Sister in Law and I got into an argument because she said her Grand Am only had 1 spark plug........ and that's her new nickname
Spark plug has to be the best nickname, stealing it

2013GT'ed

Established Member
Was looking at travel trailers 2 weekends ago. A kid...maybe 22 was in there trying to get them to sell him a trailer to pull behind his 1996 Camaro v6. Wasn't going how he wanted it to obviously. Looks at me and screams at least my car has more torque the his four cylinder truck. Coincidentally it turns out a tuned ecoboost f150 can turn a old Camaro RS inside out..lol. That poor salesman though, I REALLY hate the customer is always right BS.

pwrshft99

Established Member
I was 21 in 2001 and buying a 1999 GT.
The guy at the dealership selling the car had to be around the same age. This was going to be my 4th Mustang so I knew what I was looking at.

He insisted the car was a Cobra with AWD. I told him I couldn't get a Cobra for what they are asking for this car. 'Thats why it's a good deal!'

Users who are viewing this thread