What's the best micro fiber wash mitt?

venams03

Established Member
I have a blue micro fiber wash mitt that has served me well over the years but it's looking pretty tired and raggedy. I really like it because it doesn't have a sewn on elastic cuff. It's just a blue rectangle with an opening on the one end (where your hand is inserted).

I can't remember where I bought but it was online somewhere?

Opinions on where to buy a replacement (high quality) micro fiber mitt like the one I have?

Last edited:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Just a couple of questions before we get to the wash mitt.... what wash method are you using? 2 bucket? GDWM etc- just curious.

- Not to be an ass, im just throwing this out there. You're probably already doing this. IF you are going to use a single wash mitt make sure you are using the 2 bucket method or you will trash your paint. One drawback to the 2 bucket method is there is still a risk of intruducing dirt, grit etc to your wash media and therefore your paint. IMHO, the GDWM is preferable because it eliminates the risk of introducing dirt to the process. Just so long as you aren't using one bucket with one mitt. lol

Last edited:

GCubersoldat

Established Member
Just a couple of questions before we get to the wash mitt.... what wash method are you using? 2 bucket? GDWM etc- just curious.

- Not to be an ass, im just throwing this out there. You're probably already doing this. IF you are going to use a single wash mitt make sure you are using the 2 bucket method or you will trash your paint. One drawback to the 2 bucket method is there is still a risk of intruducing dirt, grit etc to your wash media and therefore your paint. IMHO, the GDWM is preferable because it eliminates the risk of introducing dirt to the process. Just so long as you aren't using one bucket with one mitt. lol

I see the benefits of the gdwm method if you live in an apartment or condo...but the two bucket method with a boars hair brush has always worked for me. Dirt Doesnt stick to it and I haven't gotten any swirls or anything to the paint.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I see the benefits of the gdwm method if you live in an apartment or condo...but the two bucket method with a boars hair brush has always worked for me. Dirt Doesnt stick to it and I haven't gotten any swirls or anything to the paint.

You use a boars hair brush on paint? Really?

I've used both 2 bucket and GDWM - the latter is faster and safer for the paint. When you have to do multiple washes in a day time is money.

ColorMatched

grayongrayongrayongray
Established Member
Grab a foam wash mitt from online or a detailing place and use a good quality car wash. I use Meguiar's D111 Shampoo Plus.

SMH at how excessive some of these detail guys are about washing a car... Sorry I don't want to spend 2 hrs washing my car and using 20 microfiber towels at $5 a pop.

What a kook.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
two-bucket method, eh? all these years I only have used one bucket (but with microfiber for washing and drying)

RickJay

Established Member
I always just used 1 bucket and rinsed the mitt before dunking it back in the soap, but after watching the 2 bucket method on the Adam's polishes site, I bought the bucket grids, and have plenty of 5 gallon pails available, and started doing my washes by that method. As you can see, I have a freaking BLACK 03', and living in Michigan, between the rain, freaking pollen, and general dust in the garage, I think being cautious with the washing procedure saves me a lot if time not having to polish out the inevitable scratches you can put in your paint with haphazard washing techniques.
I also bought an AWESOME lambs wool wash mitt off AutoGeek, and use micro-fiber mitts as well, but the Wool one really holds the suds to float the dirt away.

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
I use a mothers lambswool mitt, the 2 bucket method, with 2 grit guards. I wash my mitt in the washer after every wash and I use the mitt only on the painted parts of the car. Not the wheels and not the lower trim.

venams03

Established Member
Well I've been using the single bucket with the GRIT Guard and my blue microfiber mitt (cuffless) for years with no problem. But I rarely touch the paint on my GT500 as it is since it's a weekend warrior and stored during the winter.

I mainly use the mitt to wash my truck, wifey and son's cars.

That said I followed the links above but don't see a "cuffless" microfiber mitt?

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
After seeing the Gary Dean method I'm definitely giving it a try on the Mach 1 when I get to the American muscle show. I can carry a bucket of soaked microfibers in the trunk. I'll be using Ultima waterless wash instead though and I already have 3 of the large waffle weave drying towels. Thanks for pointing it out.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Grab a foam wash mitt from online or a detailing place and use a good quality car wash. I use Meguiar's D111 Shampoo Plus.

SMH at how excessive some of these detail guys are about washing a car... Sorry I don't want to spend 2 hrs washing my car and using 20 microfiber towels at $5 a pop.

What a kook.

2 hrs to wash a vehicle? Um NO!! If it's taking you that long you're doing something seriously wrong. IF you know what you're doing and you use the proper techniques, wash media, products etc you should be able to wash, clay, wax, wheels, barrels and trim in about 90 minutes on a meduim size car. It's about results my friend- so yeah, I use a LOT of microfiber towels. If you maintain them properly they will last a long time. Go to any professional detailer and see how many MF towels they have of all types- it's not just me. I'm not knocking you for not being a pro- so why are you knocking me because I know what I'm doing? Sheesh!!

Last edited:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
It was aimed more towards the general concensus of people who create all these "methods" of washing cars.

So let me ask you this - why wouldn't you want to learn a technique that is safer for your cars paint and faster so you can get back on the road and do whatever else is going on in your life? Whether it's the 2 bucket method or GDWM it's FAR better than a single bucket of "wash solution" with no grit guard and a single rag or mitt. I don't care what anybody says- if that's what you're doing not only is it slower, you ARE putting swirls and scratches in your paint.

Last edited:

hoamskilet

Established Member
Lots of benefits to gdwm. Biggest one for me is I have no shade to wash in, so unless I'm washing at sun up/down its a pain in the ass to do a traditional wash without spotting like a biaatch. Rinseless I can do at high noon in my garage without worrying about it.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Lots of benefits to gdwm. Biggest one for me is I have no shade to wash in, so unless I'm washing at sun up/down its a pain in the ass to do a traditional wash without spotting like a biaatch. Rinseless I can do at high noon in my garage without worrying about it.

He said all of his products were developed with working in the hot Florida sun in mind.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread