What's up guys? n00b w/ question

ImportsSuk

DelValMuscleCars
Established Member
hey what's up guys, n00b here. I bought an '03 DSG Cobra about two months ago. Mods in sig. It now has 18k on the clock. I've been lurking here quite a bit and reading up on all the great info here about the Terminator. I have a silly question though. The stealership I bought my car from only had 1 key/keypad for it. I went to a Ford dealer by me to get another set. Well, they told me since I don't have at least two keys I can't program the new key by myself.... The lady at the parts counter said it's $30 for the key and $100 for them to reset the computer and program both keys. :eek: I read the manual about the keys and it said the same thing she did. Is there any way to do this myself or am I going to have to choke on the $$ for them to do this?? I did buy another keypad though and already programmed that. Any advice is most appreciated! Oh, and I'll put up some pics when I get home :)

torched04

Established Member
they are right, but the price is a little on the high side. I'm a parts manager at a Ford dealership. the key should be $20ish and labor is 1/2 hour, total being around 50 for 1 key and programming. If you have 2 keys added the labor is the same, but you will have the extra 20 for the key.

ImportsSuk

DelValMuscleCars
Established Member
ok thanks. maybe I'll try a different dealer to see about the labor cost. the lady I spoke to said it would be around an hour for labor. that seemed a bit much to me also.

sassafras

Established Member
You can find keys cheaper on ebay that have the transponder in them. I was in the same boat as you, Ford wanted $140 for the key and to program. I purchased two keys off of ebay for around $25 shipped. Took them to a locksmith who reprogrammed everything for $40. It is literally as simple as plugging a computer into OBDII port and letting the programmer clear everything out for 15 minutes. I would definitely recommend keeping a third key so in case you lose 1, you can have a third cut again and program the third key with the other two.

ImportsSuk

DelValMuscleCars
Established Member
You can find keys cheaper on ebay that have the transponder in them. I was in the same boat as you, Ford wanted $140 for the key and to program. I purchased two keys off of ebay for around $25 shipped. Took them to a locksmith who reprogrammed everything for $40. It is literally as simple as plugging a computer into OBDII port and letting the programmer clear everything out for 15 minutes. I would definitely recommend keeping a third key so in case you lose 1, you can have a third cut again and program the third key with the other two.

so a regular locksmith can reprogram them?

sassafras

Established Member
They just have to have the reprogrammer. Call around a few places and ask if they can reprogram keys for a 03/04 Mustang. I would also assume that they would have transponder keys there are well if you don't want to wait around on ebay purchases getting there. When I say locksmith, I mean an independent type guy, not a walmart/lowes place where they just cut keys.

ImportsSuk

DelValMuscleCars
Established Member
ok I'll call around when I get home. Thanks. Oh and I found the keys on ebay for like $8 + shipping. My next question is, what about my original key? I think the parts lady said something that the original needed a new transponder if they had to clear the codes? or will it just reprogram the old codes back in and then continue with the new keys?

sassafras

Established Member
ok I'll call around when I get home. Thanks. Oh and I found the keys on ebay for like $8 + shipping. My next question is, what about my original key? I think the parts lady said something that the original needed a new transponder if they had to clear the codes? or will it just reprogram the old codes back in and then continue with the new keys?

The locksmith cleared out all the current keys on my computer (I think you can have 8 stored at once...someone correct me if I'm wrong), then he programmed the computer to accept my original key and the new key that I has brought in.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
If you have 2 keys, you can add a third or more yourself. The procedure is in the manual. I would suggest going to the Ford site and register. You can download the manual if your car didn't come with one. That will allow you to buy blank keys from whatever source, cut them for your car (at any hardware store), then add them to the computer yourself. The only problem is that you MUST have 2 keys the car already recognizes, or else you are stuck going to someone with the correct programming module.

Also, any time you add a key in the future, you MUST have all of the keys during the programming. For example, if you add a fourth key, but only have #1 & #2 at that time, #3 will no longer work. You would have to run through the procedure again with all 4 keys.

BTW, you bought the best color. :beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Finding someone local who has the re-programmer sounds like your best bet expense wise. I called my locksmith (the largest one in the area) and they can do it at their shop. I didn't ask how much but at least you know that some locksmiths do have the resources to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread