What's up with boosting 3V GT's????

Adltdrvn

Established Member
I sold my 2007 GT 2 months ago for many reasons. One being it's limited strength powdered metal rods and pistons. That why I bought an 03 Termi shortly afterwards.

I checked a couple of posts in the s197 section here and their are guys in there boasting about high RWHP numbers on stock internals (500 RWHP +). They say "it's all in the tune". For a while, I believed the whole "tune" idea. Is it true?

I'm attaching a link to a pic of the s197 rod and piston to show you all what scared me away from the GT and towards a Terminator. Is this an acurate picture of a powdered metal rod and piston combo in a 4.6 (non forged) Ford Mod motor?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22452836@N06/2191550342/

Did I make the right choice in putting all my faith in the forged components of the 03 Cobra? Are these stock boosted s197's really just "ticking time bombs"?

Does anyone have a pic. of the 03/04 Cobra rods and pistons?

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Yes you made the right choice by going with the Cobra. I believe the new GT will handle small amounts of boost but not long. I think they're (s197) pretty reliable with 450hp but more than that you better drive it like a baby. The Cobra on the other hand 550hp would be just as reliable.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
A friend of mine has the Ford Racing Whipple kit on his '05 and is making about 470 to the wheels. Its his daily driver and he's run 11.7 on 18" nitto DR's with 4.10s and completely stock longblock, clutch, suspension, transmission and everything. Seems like the motors can make pretty decent power without blowing.

You still made the right choice getting a cobra since its all around better. The cobra pistons are the weakest link in the motor, but they are sitting atop a forged steel crankshaft and Manley H beam rods.

CobraRyan

Banned
this guys single turbo 3v ran a 11.50 at 125 on 20's with completly stock motor and stock tranny...it was at 12psi and like 510 to the wheels

Users who are viewing this thread