What's your input on this topic.

Could you date someone who has a "Best Friend" of the opposite sex

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blacknight07607

Tailgating State
Established Member
How do you handle/maintain a relationship with someone who has a "Best Friend" of the opposite sex?

A friend of mine asked me saying he was getting serious with a girl, but she has a male best friend.
According to her, they (her & the best friend) have only kissed a few years ago, but nothing more.
Personally, I told him I couldnt be with a woman who has a guy as a best friend.
Just too many "What If's" and too many possibilities...

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Trust someone, doesn't matter. If you don't feel comfortable with them having friends of the opposite sex its either for lack of trust in them, in that case why are you still there? Or its problems/self-esteem issues within yourself which you need to take care of before even bothering being in a relationship.

LUBaseball2

Established Member
I said no simply because of the fact it's annoying to me. It's not about trust it's just any chick that I have dated always wants me to be buddy buddy with him and frankly I have enough friends. It's basically worse than having to befriend your gf's friends bf. Plus you know what Bizmarkie said

40mpgH8r

Cobra Newb
Established Member
It's weird for me too. The last girl I dated, I was totally cool with because her best guy friend loved the pen15.

The girl I am dating now, I made sure there was no history of them hooking up. The dude is also about to get engaged so I feel much better.

There is the trust issue. I trust every girl I start dating. So, if she tells me nothing will happen between the two, then I trust her.

Trust every woman until proven a lying whorebag.

oldmodman

Established Member
I've been the guy.

I have known a girl since we were both 13. And that's 47 years ago now.

Through all those years we have remained best friends and only "get together" when we are both between relationships or spouses at the same time.

Out friendship has never come between the other and their significant other.

For the last 30 years we mostly just talk cars, money, and kids.

starnsey

Established Member
Trust someone, doesn't matter. If you don't feel comfortable with them having friends of the opposite sex its either for lack of trust in them, in that case why are you still there? Or its problems/self-esteem issues within yourself which you need to take care of before even bothering being in a relationship.

^This. This man knows his shit.

Electrokid

Established Member
Dated a girl for two years who had a dude as a best friend. She assured me that nothing had ever happened between them blah blah blah. I bit the bullet and just trusted her.
On her grad night I was going and getting us drinks, come back to find her making out with the guy and grinding all up on him on the dance floor. Needless to say the trust there was broken, and now if a chick says her best friend is a dude, I get mighty suspicious.

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
From experience. I would be really careful. They probably banged before. If it happened once it could happen again. I no longer have female friends now.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Pihhb and bail

Oh and post some pics and we will tell you if said bff is trying to smash

Last edited:

ssssnake

Established Member
When I married my husband, I had a male best friend. He was gay, but Glenn really didn't like me hanging with him. We moved out of town, and the situation went away. We still keep in touch though.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
I've been with my wife (dating + married) a total of 8 years and this is something we've dealt with a few times and here's my opinion. A lot of times, when such topics about spouses with opposite sex friends is brought, the fears and apprehensions quickly boil down to sex and infidelity. Assuming your gf or wife is trustworthy (and she should be until proven otherwise) the problem isn't cheating, its issues of communication.

In marriage there seems to be 3 main concerns: sex, finances, and communication. A couple years ago, my wife car pooled with a male coworker for a period of time. I trusted her and I trusted him...he was married too after all. The total round trip was about 2 hours each weekday and sometimes car pooling to lunch, so for at least 2 hours each day they both had each others undivided attention to talk. Due to our work schedules, I was unable even if I planned it to give her that sane undivided attention and I felt inferior on a communication level. So if a girl has a best friend outside of a relationship who is a guy, I would question if she's receiving her emotional needs from him...and therein often results in sexual issues, because girls are emotionally turned on. So if another guy is giving her undivided chit chat and support its that much easier for her to make an emotional connection that can evolve into sexual connections.

It never got that far with me, and it probably never would have either, but it was often difficult knowing she was getting his advice on issues.

If she took my advice and not his he'd seem disapproving to her....especially if in hindsight he was right. So often it'd turn into "why don't you listen as well as..." or "I should have just listened to..."

Posted via Topify using Android

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
When I met my current gf 3.5 years ago. Her BFF was then and still is a dude. He is a good guy. Gay as AIDS. I have never had a problem with it.

Riptide

Established Member
I'm a guy, and I would smash (or have) most all of my female friends. So if she looks good. I wouldn't do it
Agree. If she looks good he wants in it and will try if he gets the slightest idea there is a possibility. Typically anyway. Prior intimate contact is an even bigger red flag IMO.

Million fish in the sea. Find one without the orbiters.

Zentenk

Established Member
When I married my husband, I had a male best friend. He was gay, but Glenn really didn't like me hanging with him. We moved out of town, and the situation went away. We still keep in touch though.

Yeah, keep in "TOUCH" alright... can't fool us!!!

Also, OP, by "kiss" she means gang banged by him and 2 other best guy friends she didn't even tell you about yet.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Yeah, keep in "TOUCH" alright... can't fool us!!!

Also, OP, by "kiss" she means gang banged by him and 2 other best guy friends she didn't even tell you about yet.

Eggxactly at the first sign of you screwing up she will go back to him and bang.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Yes, easily! Why? The women who hang out with men, do so for a reason. They usually hate the cattiness, bitchiness, two timing, talking behind you back BS that most women do. I don't want to put up with that BS, and would perfer a women who doesn't either.

Users who are viewing this thread