Wheel alignment question...

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
When replacing your front tires, can a wheel alignment be done before the balancing and mounting of the new tires?

Reason I ask is because my front tires are wearing excessively on the inner treads on the front. They seem to be wearing pretty bad. I want to make sure that there is nothing else wrong that a standard wheel alignment can't fix before putting two brand new tires on. I don't want to leave the tire shop with something else wrong, but I also don't want to get taken advantage of with any false claims of additional work AFTER they've installed the tires.

Bottom line: Can a shop do a wheel alignment first with the old tires in place with no need of another alignment after the new tires are installed?

Thanks in advance.

SVTcobra2

Established Member
they can align it with the old tires. the alignment doesnt depend on the worn tires. what can change it is if you add new wheels and tires that are different sizes.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
That's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure. Whether new or used tires, the actual alignment shouldn't be affected. So, I guess it wouldn't be asking too much to have them do the alignment first? That way the shop can take care of the problem BEFORE adding brand new tires.

Thanks for your help, SVTcobra2.

Lonestar7777

Banned
A good deal is to get a lifetime alignment from Firestone. I have one now and have used them in the past its a good deal and I get my car aligned atleast two times a years so it does pay off.

LS:banana:

SVTcobra2

Established Member
thats the way i think it is. the alignment is not depending on the tire itself. they adjust depending on the chamber of your wheels.

i had the same question when getting new wheels and tires, but got the alignment before with HORRIBLY worn tires and it seems to be good now. i think it can change it if like you are running 18x10 in the back and 17x9 in the front or something instead of stock. but if you are sticking to the same size rim i believe it should be good.

WVFord

Established Member
Make sure the air pressure in the tires is the same as you will be running with the new skins. All 4 tires should have correct pressure.

WVFord

Established Member
You can run what ever pressures you decide, front or rear. Just make sure the pressures are right before the alignment.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
A good deal is to get a lifetime alignment from Firestone. I have one now and have used them in the past its a good deal and I get my car aligned atleast two times a years so it does pay off.

LS:banana:

Firestone aligned my car last. 6 months later, my front tires are toast - the outer read is almost corded, while the center and inner tread has probably 10-15k miles left. I'd never go back. They were good Firestone tires, too.

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
You can align the old tires, but, until you get a chance to see how they wear...you won't know if the problem has been fixed. I went thru 2 shops who swore my fronts were aligned after I lowered the car. Both guys did a "close enough" job to make it show spec, but, I still wrecked a couple sets of tires before someone told me the real deal. If it keeps toe'ing in and wrecking tires, it needs more camber than it is capable of adjusting to. I finally put CC plates on and got it aligned properly and I can make a pair of front tires last years now.

SoCal94

Established Member
Sure, you can align it without replacing the worn tires. The alignment may not help if the worn tires are causing it to PULL to one side or the other, but the wheels will be pointed the right direction at the right angles. They will probably wear a little less funny afterward.

I'd swap the rear tires (worn pretty flat across the tread, I bet) with the fronts - that'll help with any weird pulling. You should rotate the tires pretty often anyway if you know that your driving style and alignment are resulting in odd front wear.

Best regards,
SoCal94

Users who are viewing this thread