Wheel Bearings

Pedalpower

Established Member
I am in need of new front wheel bearings and I am looking for the bearing part number so I can order them. I am not looking for the Ford # but the actual brand #. Like Timken or SKF or whatever brand Ford uses. Thanks in advace for any info.

Also, I assume that I will need a gear puller to get the hub off. I know I will need to take the hub to a machine shop to have the new bearings pressed on. Did I miss anything?

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
I know you said you don't need it but the Ford number is 6S4Z-1215-B and I have them for $47.69 each.

You'll actually have to pull the knuckles off and bring them to a machine shop to have the hubs pressed out, old bearings pressed out and then have the new bearings pressed in and the hubs pressed back in.

Make sure when the bearings are pressed back in that the ABS tone ring portion of the bearing is facing in (towards the trans) or you'll be taking it apart and buying a second set of bearings to do it right. :beer:

jimbbski

Established Member
I've changed bearings on my SVT Contour. I have a small press at home and it would not budge the old bearing at all. The easiest way i found to change bearings was to press the hub out which usually caused the center of the old bearing to pop out as well. I then made a cut in the bearing race with a Dremel cut off wheel. Once I cut the race it relieved the tension and the race just popped right out. I then used my press to install the new bearing. I live near you in South Holland, IL.

I have used Tinken and SKF bearings with equal success. The price has been in the $30-40 range for the bearing alone.

Users who are viewing this thread