Wheel offsets and spacers

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Thought I'd try to get a little input from Bruce on this one...

What size tire is normal for road racing a mustang? I was planning on 275's, but with the amount of rubbing I'm already getting in the front from the wider tires, would it be ok to go with a 265? I've read on other forums that certain tires (yokohama, dunlop) run pretty wide, and seen pictures of a 265 fitting almost perfect on a 9.5" wide wheel. Would that be enough rubber on all 4 corners to get decent handling? Probably going to try out the new Dunlop Direzza Z1, its got a 200 treadwear and I hear is very grippy with a stiff sidewall, but also fairly wide.

Dale:

IMHO you are going to want to run a 275 on a Mustang. Mustangs are heavy cars with a lot of weight on the front end. They need a decent footprint which a 275 will give you.

If you are rubbing now with 275's, your car is too low. If your car has not been lowered, you have the wrong back-spacing/offset on your wheels. If you're only rubbing a little you can roll your fenders which should help.

I can't help you much with the tires you're looking at but that's my .02 cents.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Thanks, thats what I was looking for. I'll stick with the 275 then. I've got the 18x9 saleens on the front so the offset should be correct, but I have no clue what it is.

The car is pretty low, but I'd say there is about an inch of wheelgap in the front and a tad more in the back. I actually want it a bit lower, but its probably not going to work. I'm not having any problems with the back, just the front. The rubbing isn't super severe, I guess it just sounds really bad from inside the car. There is about a half inch strip on the very outer edge of the contact patch on both sides of the car where you can see evidence of rubbing. Is it normal to roll the front fenders? If so, that would probably get rid of the rubbing all together.

Once I figure out whether or not I'm selling my car and getting a cobra, I'll buy some wheels and sticky street tires. They will probably be the Work Emotions (3rd set in the first post) with an 18x9.5" +20 all around and the Dunlops I mentioned before. I want to be able to at least rotate the wheels front to back and might run a small spacer in the rear to get the tires close to the fender for a wider stance.

Hopefully there will be an end to my indecisiveness soon, its making me confused.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Once I figure out whether or not I'm selling my car and getting a cobra, I'll buy some wheels and sticky street tires. They will probably be the Work Emotions (3rd set in the first post) with an 18x9.5" +20 all around and the Dunlops I mentioned before. I want to be able to at least rotate the wheels front to back and might run a small spacer in the rear to get the tires close to the fender for a wider stance.

Hopefully there will be an end to my indecisiveness soon, its making me confused.

I ran a 1/4" spacer in the rear with my Cobra R wheels which are the same size and offset as the Work wheels you are looking at and it looked really good. You may want to use longer studs in the rear because with the spacer I only got 5 turns on the lugnuts.

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
The car is pretty low, but I'd say there is about an inch of wheelgap in the front and a tad more in the back.

Dale:

Watch for rubbing on the top of the left front driver's tire towards the inside edge. There is a wiring harness above the inner fender liner that you don't want to rub through! :dw:

I ran a 1/4" spacer in the rear with my Cobra R wheels whick are the same size and offset as the Work wheels you are looking at and it looked really good. You may want to use longer studs in the rear because with the spacer I only got 5 turns on the lugnuts.

Ashley:

As you know you should have a minimum of ten turns on your lug nuts. Anything less is unsafe. :read:

Have you tried using an E.T. style lug nut that has an extended reach tip?:idea:

FWIW

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
Dale:

Watch for rubbing on the top of the left front driver's tire towards the inside edge. There is a wiring harness above the inner fender liner that you don't want to rub through! :dw:

Ashley:

As you know you should have a minimum of ten turns on your lug nuts. Anything less is unsafe. :read:

Have you tried using an E.T. style lug nut that has an extended reach tip?:idea:

FWIW

I agree completely. I only drove about 20 miles with the car like that. If I was going to keep those wheels I would swap studs for sure.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Dale:

I think I had heard this before, but forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder and I'll have to check that out soon. I usually don't hear any rubbing on the passenger side, mostly just the drivers side fender.

ac427cobra said:

Did not know this though. Don't have any problems with my current setup, but I'll keep that in mind with the spacers. I'll probably end up putting in longer studs in the rear because I have one stock stud missing already... All the wheels I'm looking at require small diameter lug nuts, which are pretty rare for 1/2" x 20 diameter, so I'm limited to those choices.

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
I think I had heard this before, but forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder and I'll have to check that out soon. I usually don't hear any rubbing on the passenger side, mostly just the drivers side fender.

Did not know this though. Don't have any problems with my current setup, but I'll keep that in mind with the spacers. I'll probably end up putting in longer studs in the rear because I have one stock stud missing already... All the wheels I'm looking at require small diameter lug nuts, which are pretty rare for 1/2" x 20 diameter, so I'm limited to those choices.

Yes with the Works you will need the "tuner" style lugs. The stock ones are too big generally.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Dale, my rubbing with 275 Avon Tech R's and Proxy RA1's has been minimal. They were both on 17" Cobra R's, and only rubbed enough to wear the paint on the inside lip. The tire's were/are fine, and I'm just barely touching the wiring harness bulge. But I have Kenny Brown Sport Springs for only about 1~1 1/2" lowering. Am still planning to have Billy roll my front fenders when it's in this winter.

Question: If someone were to run spacers (say 1/4") is it less safe to run on the front? I just think of all the combined braking and turning force being put on them, and think the spacer makes for even more leverage on components like ball joints, wheel bearings, etc.

99 GT

Established Member
Get the volks.....omg volks are sooooo niceeeeeeeee

my bro has the volk time attack te-37's on his Z..oh and my custom super pocket bike ;)

DSCF0187.jpg

Last edited:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
^^ I'd love to but they are $2500 for the 18x9.5" size, and I'd have to run a spacer. The Works are less than half the price and have a perfect offset. I like the Enkei's too but they would be hell to keep clean and I drive my car way too much for that.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
^^ I'd love to but they are $2500 for the 18x9.5" size, and I'd have to run a spacer. The Works are less than half the price and have a perfect offset. I like the Enkei's too but they would be hell to keep clean and I drive my car way too much for that.

Link or pic of Works, please.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Look at the first page, the gunmetal wheels under the Volks.

Here are a few pics of the 18s on a 350Z and Evo in the size and offset I want. I love the concave look, who needs a lip? I think they weigh about 21 lbs in the 18x9.5" size.

WORKemotions.jpg

WORKemotions2.jpg

GGworkwheels.jpg

Greg, the 17x9" come in a 28 offset, so they'd either fit or you'd have to run a very small spacer (1/8" or 1/4").

I've been asking about wheel deals through an Evo forum I post on, so if you guys want a set, maybe I can get a good deal on two sets of 4.

Last edited:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
So I finally did it. Bought the Work Emotions and put them on the car this past friday. I'll try to get the car washed up today and snap a few pictures. In the meantime, here are pics to hold you over...

IMG_3291.jpg

IMG_3292.jpg

IMG_3293.jpg

IMG_3295.jpg

To you hardcore road racer guys, you should see the caliper clearance up front on these things...

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
Nice. Did you confirm their weight at 21 lbs?

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
Looks great. If you can, put on some longer studs in the rear and run a 1/4 or 3/8 spacer. It will even out the rear with the front.

I tried it in the rear with my 2000 R wheels which are the same size and offset. It looked great, but there is not enough meat to get the lugs on properly with the stock studs.

Last edited:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Nice. Did you confirm their weight at 21 lbs?

Nah, I didn't have an accurate scale to measure them on. I think a vendor told me the weight, I'll try to confirm somewhere.

Looks great. If you can, put on some longer studs in the rear and run a 1/4 or 3/8 spacer. It will even out the rear with the front.

I tried it in the rear with my 2000 R wheels which are the same size and offset. It looked great, but there is not enough meat to get the lugs on properly with the stock studs.

I've definitely been thinking about it. I'm missing a stud in the rear (have been since the IRS swap) so one of these days I'll put some long studs in the rear. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread