Wheel Weight Question

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
I see from the factory that Ford puts the weights wherever they are needed on both sides. Would having the weights placed on the rear of the wheel affect the balance? I just don't like the looks of the wheels with the weights on the outside.

RKANYZ

Established Member
you can have your wheels balanced with stick on weights on the inside of the rim, instead of the inner and outer lips. Take it to an aftermarket wheel and tire shop, they should have the equipment.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
If you rebalance the wheels with the stick-on weights, you might try this: Put some duct take on the weights until the adhesive sets up. Maybe the next day or so. After you remove the tape then silicone the edges of the weights to seal the adhesive. You don't need much, just a thin film will do. The weights will stay attached a lot longer this way.

I still can't believe that Ford put the weights on the outside of the wheels, and neither can anyone else that sees them. :bash:

Dana

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I agree on the weights put on the outside of the wheel, but fortunately mine are few and small. Quite honestly I rarely notice them. Moving them to the inside would be better. If you do it, be sure the operator cleans the surface good before he sticks the weights on. I've had stick-on weights in the past fall off because the surface wasn't prepped properly.

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
I agree on the weights put on the outside of the wheel, but fortunately mine are few and small. Quite honestly I rarely notice them. Moving them to the inside would be better. If you do it, be sure the operator cleans the surface good before he sticks the weights on. I've had stick-on weights in the past fall off because the surface wasn't prepped properly.

I would imagine that the local Ford dealer would use the same type of hammer on type weights like they came with from the factory.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
I have really bad front wheel vibration until the dealer rebalanced them -- by sticking humongous weights on the outside of the rims! I claim the tires are fauty -- Ford sys if it can fix them with weights (nearly 2 ounces) then they won't replace the tires! Quality is job #4,564,387

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by harry gilbert
I have really bad front wheel vibration until the dealer rebalanced them -- by sticking humongous weights on the outside of the rims! I claim the tires are fauty -- Ford sys if it can fix them with weights (nearly 2 ounces) then they won't replace the tires! Quality is job #4,564,387
Unfortunately Ford allows 2.5 ounces per flange and 5 ounces total of balance weight per wheel before they might reindex the tire on the wheel or consider a replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread