Wheels and tires.

Z06_2002

www.HighSpeedDriving.com
Established Member
Need the communities help here. I cannot stand the gap between my wheel well and the tire just personal preference.

Will an 18" wheel all around have any negative effect on handling or 1/4 times?

Could I please have a few suggestions or even pictures of what might look really cool?

Last but not least what tire might you suggest also?

Without trying to sound snobbish, cost is not a factor. Quality and looks will take top priority for me.

:beer:

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
You cant go wrong with chrome Saleens!! But Ive always like the HRE's also:

cobra2.JPG

Z06_2002

www.HighSpeedDriving.com
Established Member
COBRyan,

Sharp! I didn't see that rim listed on Saleen.com site, where did you get yours at?

Don

C_Record

Established Member
Not sure if you're aware but COBryan's car is lowered in addition to adding the taller wheels(looks sharp). 18s won't fill in your wheel wells as much as his does in the pic.

Dem03SonicSnake

Established Member
i have chrome saleens on my laser red gt now, gonna take em off when i trade in, dont know if i should put them on my sonic blue or just keep the stock rims, would u guys put the saleens on??

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Personally, I love HRE's, and they are available in any size you can imagine (can you say 18x11 with 315/30 Porsche 911 Turbo rubber baby :) ) Anyhow, they are like $4000 a set, so I will probably go with the Cobra R's (which come the closest to the size I want, at 18x10.5) :(

lifter213

Established Member
Actually when you go with a 18inch wheel you get a lower profile tire so you can keep the diameter of the wheels the same as stock. It will mess up your speedo and you'll need a Abbott or something simular to adjust it if its not the same. So actually you wouldnt benifit like you want without lowering it. IMO it still wont look the way your wanting it to unless you lower it. I'd save the 3k+ on the bigger wheels/tires for now and get some springs for $250 and see how it looks. Either way goodluck and post pics. :beer:

ps. When i put the Cobra R's on my GT i had them on it before i lowered it and it didnt look good at all. Still had the gap in the fenders like stock. Needless to say i had it lowered in a week.

Last edited:

cubes

Established Member
Originally posted by NetworkingGuru
(can you say 18x11 with 315/30 Porsche 911 Turbo rubber baby :) ) Anyhow, they are like $4000 a set, so I will probably go with the Cobra R's (which come the closest to the size I want, at 18x10.5) :(

I thought there were clearance issues on 99+ cobras with the IRS bolt and tailpipes?

Last edited:

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by cubes
I thought there were clearance issues on 99+ cobras with the IRS bolt and tailpipes?

Yea, I've read that too, but we will have to see about that and overcome, as this car DEFINITELY needs more rubber :)

Got-Cobra?

Established Member
COBRyan:

That looks BAD A@@!

I also think HRE's would look the best but better bring lots of $$$$$$$!

3rdstang

Established Member
Just go to tirerack.com and select what you want. It isnt a 2003 cobra that they have but you can get a good idea of the looks and such. You also can change the color of the car on the website for a better idea.

MongoCobra

Established Member
I would go with HRE's or Fikse if price is not an object, very high quality stuff

Steve Snake Driver

Established Member
347_1.jpg

Cervini's sells this but I think they might be Fiske's or HRE's. They are 17X9 and 17X11 (much wider selection of tires available in 17 inch). $1995 for a set of four (2 - 17X9 and 2 - 17X11). Don't know if the rears would fit an IRS Cobra, but they do fit a solid axle snake.

Lomancobra

Established Member
Originally posted by lifter213
Actually when you go with a 18inch wheel you get a lower profile tire so you can keep the diameter of the wheels the same as stock. It will mess up your speedo and you'll need a Abbott or something simular to adjust it if its not the same. So actually you wouldnt benifit like you want without lowering it. IMO it still wont look the way your wanting it to unless you lower it. I'd save the 3k+ on the bigger wheels/tires for now and get some springs for $250 and see how it looks. Either way goodluck and post pics. :beer:

ps. When i put the Cobra R's on my GT i had them on it before i lowered it and it didnt look good at all. Still had the gap in the fenders like stock. Needless to say i had it lowered in a week.

When I increased the size on my Audi there was no effect to the speedo.

david smilovic

Established Member
I bought some kinesis wheels 18x11 rr and 18x10 frt.I will use a 35 series tire so ride height (and handling) wont be affected.However I will add my Eibach Pro kit and get a bit more drop maybe 1" all around.I will run KD's all around for MAX grip and 295's RR. and 265/35/18 fronts along with other handling mods I hope to pull in excess of 1g lateral acceleration next month will tell the story,Good Luck Dave S.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
FWIW,
I read on some forum somewhere that Ford originally tested the Cobra with 18" wheels/tires and it negatively impacted the handling. This comment was from some executive at Ford. They then designed the suspension for the 17" wheels/tires.

How true the statement is, or if it really does affect the handling, I have no way of knowing.

It does look better with a smaller gap around the tires!!
Dana

Users who are viewing this thread