Whelp - Might take the S-box to Maaco...

highdensity007

Best wifey EVAR!
Established Member
They have 3 tiers basically.

Enamel for like $400
Urethane for $600
Two Part for $1000

The enamel will lay flat but won't last. It's basically rattle can spray paint.
You need a clear coat to come even remotely close to a factory shine.

At those "sale prices" all they do is tape, scuff, seal and paint. They typically cheap out and use only 2 quarts on what many would consider a 5 quart job. Oh, and the painter has to knock this whole thing out in an hour.

So any dents, dings, chips, scratches. Just get painted right over. They skimp on masking, so you get over spray on molding and trim, etc.

Good materials, good painters - but a "special" is a 1hr job.

I've painted 3 cars and can't even get a car masked in an hour.

Now they also do a lot of insurance work and certianly can do good body and paint (as good as any other shop). But that's not what you get for $600.

I'm going to try and get a quote next week. A buddy at work said he thinks is a $2k job.

In another life, I used to operate (2) Maaco franchises. I even closed one down and moved it while opening another. Some things to consider:

Most don't even carry Enamel because they don't want to deal with inventoring a 3rd paint line of stock. So when you pay for Enamel, you actually get Urethane. Anyone considering single stage should consider this. Plus, it was easier for me to warranty an Enemal with Urethane.

Masking and taping is often done by up to 2-3 people on one car at the same time which is why taping goes quick. Maybe half the the time my crew taped and masked with 1 person, but that was often my best person who was quick. Same rule applies for sanding.

Single stage. I had my crews offer wet sand and buff on solid single stage colors and had then try to shy away from doing heavy metallics with single stage and push for two stage base/clear.

If you are considering a black metallic, GM paint code WA565Q "carbon flash metallic" was absolutely the most popular one I had my crew offer and everyone loved it who got it. In the shade, looks black. In direct sun light on sunny day, looks very cool.

Each maaco job will depend on the crew they have at that point and time. Over the years there were times where I had an A Team, and there were times I had turnover and sometimes I worried about even a small bumper insurance job coming out nice, ie repaired, prepped, and color match, etc. Ask to see their work. I purposely went and bought an old cheap civic and had a single stage $500 paint job put on it just so I could show customers exactly what that was. Orbital sanded, masked, and paint. I explained, and showed the car, in detail where there might be some overspray, how it wasn't wet sanded and buffed, how the job comes out when you don't remove and install parts, etc. All of that saved me so much headache after the fact and a very clear understanding that a $500 paint job will not look or even compare to a higher quality job. This often helped upsell to a price point 4x or more what they originally planned once they understood those details and I had very good success at both of my locations because of that. I did, however, recruit painters different than the traditional way. Most of the tattoo parlors in my area were only open at night, so I went around and found good people that wanted to make money during the day too and had those tattoo artists trained to paint cars. The paint jobs turned out awesome for the most part. I also gave them the passion of doing custom motorcycle tanks and even lost money on them for a reason, those customers loved their tanks so much they brought all of their insurance work to me. We did all kinds of wild jobs.

I was lucky enough to have the talent on hand to do high end jobs and sometimes did restorations if time allowed (usually winter projects). Maaco process isn't really setup for restorations but I allowed them on certain criteria. Some were well over $10k and not even big money makers, but again, that customer would send their entire family/friends/neighbors to me for other work like insurance, etc.

I'll be glad to answer any questions anyone has, as time allows. I don't login that often.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
They have 3 tiers basically.

Enamel for like $400
Urethane for $600
Two Part for $1000
I was also thinking of Maaco as sf2c mentioned below. So essentially they tell the customer the job is half assed which is why it is considerably cheaper than most other places who do a complete and thorough job? Maybe half-assed isn't the word but when you cut corners there isn't any other way to say it.

Edit: I was thinking there's another chain that does cheap paint jobs rather than Maaco.

Last edited:

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Id go toyota lunar rock… its my fav color right meow. Its basically a cement with a green hue

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
JSB
34D49443-0521-4A02-BC17-FE1409FBF1CD.jpeg

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member

I used to LOVE all the grays. Now, I'm just meh with them all. It's just way overdone these days.
I legit wanted to spray a couple of my Mustangs in the past with gray primer and call it a day, even though the paint was already nice. I just always thought gray gives that Hot Rod look. Now, you see it on everything. They killed it for me.

Last edited:

VegasMichael

Established Member
Earl Scheib used to do a right proper cheap job. They are still around but only by name. It's not affiliated with the original company any longer.

plumbcrazy

Established Member
I was also thinking of Maaco as sf2c mentioned below. So essentially they tell the customer the job is half assed which is why it is considerably cheaper than most other places who do a complete and thorough job? Maybe half-assed isn't the word but when you cut corners there isn't any other way to say it.

Edit: I was thinking there's another chain that does cheap paint jobs rather than Maaco.
Is Earl Scheib still in business?
In my opinion, all depends on the car. Two payments into my new Ruby Red metallic Expedition , some asshole keyed the driver’s side front to back while we were on vacation in Maryland. Insurance adjuster put the value of the repair at $1800 which I turned down of course and went to one of the best local shops that I knew of who took all the relevant trim off the car and did the job the right way. It is a 9.9 out of 10 which considering it’s not a collector car is fine by me. Final cost? $3700. Insurance company paid it minus my deductible. In most cases, I think you get what you pay for.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Is Earl Scheib still in business?
In my opinion, all depends on the car. Two payments into my new Ruby Red metallic Expedition , some asshole keyed the driver’s side front to back while we were on vacation in Maryland. Insurance adjuster put the value of the repair at $1800 which I turned down of course and went to one of the best local shops that I knew of who took all the relevant trim off the car and did the job the right way. It is a 9.9 out of 10 which considering it’s not a collector car is fine by me. Final cost? $3700. Insurance company paid it minus my deductible. In most cases, I think you get what you pay for.
There's one not far from me. Las Vegas, NV Auto Body Shop, Paint & Collision Repair Services

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member

Certain cars like that one looks good with wraps. New Edges never seem to look right with 1 or 2 exceptions. Matte looks off on them and gloss wraps never look as good as paint.

I'm in the same boat, I need paint but don't want to shell out 10k and don't care if it's not perfect. Too much sand around here to pay top dollar to just have it sand blasted off.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Certain cars like that one looks good with wraps. New Edges never seem to look right with 1 or 2 exceptions. Matte looks off on them and gloss wraps never look as good as paint.

I'm in the same boat, I need paint but don't want to shell out 10k and don't care if it's not perfect. Too much sand around here to pay top dollar to just have it sand blasted off.
I don’t like the matte color on these cars at all. I’m not a huge fan of wraps because a lot of them are pretty ghetto, but it’s a cheaper alternative if you choose a normal color that isn’t matte.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member

Lol, stop looking at Skylines. Body is so different.

You can't use pics hosted on SVTP to link a pic to SVTP?

Google "Sunburst Gold Cobra" give you a better idea. Not bad, not my style though.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Lol, stop looking at Skylines. Body is so different.

You can't use pics hosted on SVTP to link a pic to SVTP?

Google "Sunburst Gold Cobra" give you a better idea. Not bad, not my style though.

Gotta disagree. I feel like the Skylines and Mustang have very similar body lines and proportions.

IMG_0365.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread