Whelp - Might take the S-box to Maaco...

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Whelp -

Looking to get the world's shittiest Cobra retuned in the next week or two. S/C rebuilt and back in, Injectors rebuilt and back in. Got the Rear Pinion getting re-sealed. Going to try and knock out refinishing the Cobra R's next week.

I've had a few threads about a color change for a while -

Then I saw an IG ad for MAACO and was like "Oh that's right, I live in civilization where Maaco exists".

So Top Runners -

OEM Black
Metallic Black (looks great but I hate owning black cars)
F8 or Olive Green
Sonic Blue
Fox Teal?

Suggestions Ideas? Better low-cost options then Maaco? Mind you the car's paint is trash. Hood doesn't match, I have a new bumper that needs painted and installed. Small dings, lots of chips and the roof has cracked bondo for a piss-poor hail repair. Gonna replace the windshield after.

PXL_20220409_235633263~2.jpg
Dark Olive Green 2.png
Dark Olive Green 1.png

I really like the way this FRS came out. I'm cheap, but will still do a two-stage.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Maaco does shit work on average but it really comes down to the painter at each shop. If you can find a Maaco in your area that does good work then you may get a decent finished product. They cut corners though which is why they are so cheap so I would suggest removing all the moldings yourself and prepping the car as much as possible because they do not worry much about overspray. If you can bring them the body with most everything removed then that would be your best bet.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Maaco does shit work on average but it really comes down to the painter at each shop. If you can find a Maaco in your area that does good work then you may get a decent finished product. They cut corners though which is why they are so cheap so I would suggest removing all the moldings yourself and prepping the car as much as possible because they do not worry much about overspray. If you can bring them the body with most everything removed then that would be your best bet.
What do they do or don't do to charge a relatively cheap price?

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Yup, I've watched a ton of YT videos on Maaco over the years.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member

They have 3 tiers basically.

Enamel for like $400
Urethane for $600
Two Part for $1000

The enamel will lay flat but won't last. It's basically rattle can spray paint.
You need a clear coat to come even remotely close to a factory shine.

At those "sale prices" all they do is tape, scuff, seal and paint. They typically cheap out and use only 2 quarts on what many would consider a 5 quart job. Oh, and the painter has to knock this whole thing out in an hour.

So any dents, dings, chips, scratches. Just get painted right over. They skimp on masking, so you get over spray on molding and trim, etc.

Good materials, good painters - but a "special" is a 1hr job.

I've painted 3 cars and can't even get a car masked in an hour.

Now they also do a lot of insurance work and certianly can do good body and paint (as good as any other shop). But that's not what you get for $600.

I'm going to try and get a quote next week. A buddy at work said he thinks is a $2k job.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member

Pretty much what @Corbic said. It's a process and painting is easily the hardest part of the body repair process to master so for an amazing paint job you are looking for an amazing painter who really knows what they are doing. Plenty of average painters out there who can do great work and will pass the test of the average eye, but when you see a veteran skilled painter the outcome is night and day! Maaco can certainly put out a good product if they were to apply all the same standards that most body shops do but their market is for cheap and to be able to offer those prices they have to cut corners and they do that in the way Corbic outlined.

Not sure what product they use but there's also varying quality lines of bases and clears from the main brands like BASF, PPG, Dupont, etc. BASF's Glasurit line, which BASF is what we sprayed at the last shop I worked at, is insanely good looking when done right on a car. It's so high quality but at the same time you're likely looking at $10k-15k on average to have your car sprayed with it and it only goes up from there. A shop typically picks a paint company to use, like our shop using BASF, so all of the products are BASF products from my experience BASF, PPG, and Dupont are what most independent shops like to use.

On a side note, it's actually kind of cool because those companies will often give I guess you could say a loan to shops to use their products and to help the shops get off the ground or as a bonus if they are changing paint brands. So say your first grant is $100k and you essentially pay that back by purchasing their products and over time that loan is paid off and they will then give you $200k the next time if you're doing well and so on, and they keep doing that cycle. It really helps shops get set up and upgrade as needed.

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
Ford Sapphire-Blue...

An example of the Sapphire-Blue

Ford Sunset-Gold...

Ford Jalapeno-Green Metallic...

Ford Dark-Copper Metallic...

Ford Copper Metallic... Bright color version

Last edited:

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Sapphire Blue looks like Toyota's Royal Sapphire Pearl. A favorite from back in the day.

10028145556_3d35d5db73_b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread