When is a Terminator still a Terminator???

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
This is just a question some of my friends and I have been talking about. I just wanted to get some of your opinions. For instance would a full out drag car with a Terminator Body still be considered a Terminator if it has Auto, Solid Axle, Little to No interior, Race Seats, No A/C or PowerSteering, Etc? The thing that gets me is all of these people that buy Terminators cut them up and change suspension, drivetrain, seats, brakes, etc. In my opinion a Terminator shoud be 6-speed, I.R.S., Cobra Brakes, Interior(Rear Seat Delete Acceptable), and mostly streetable. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION. If I wanted strictly a drag car and liked the Termi Body, I would have just bought a V6 and swapped in a Blown 4-valve with an Auto and Solid Axle. My main question is if a Terminator that sets some kind of record for being fast, and all thats left of the car is a Terminator Exterior Shell and a 4-valve is that really a Terminator Record? Where is the line drawn???

Why not just call me out directly? LOL

if you want to go that far the blower should not be ported either....Or have an electric water pump....

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
But if you look at his stats...

He is the top Eaton/IRS/6Speed guy.

Terminator = Proper VIN from Ford/SVT with 4 Valve Motor (Whether it be turbo'd, twin screw, solid axle, trans swap)

and is very respected for that...thats why Im not sure why he even posted this...

1Quick4.6

Established Member
All i can say is RUN WHAT YA BRUNG AND HOPE YOU BROUGHT ENOUGH. six speed if you wanna have fun....auto if you wanna go fast. lol a cobras a cobra

JMD0346

Established Member
Damn good question I think. There must be a line somewhere. IMO VIN alone is not enough but I dont have the answers.

But guys we are SVTP. Hell lets decide what we think is right! LOL

I think it would be interesting and informative to democraticaly come up with an answer to the question. Maybe a poll?

:beer::rockon:

EDIT: Could look to NMRA race classes as a guide line. They are pretty clear on what they consider a stock style car and a race car.

Last edited:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
EDIT: Could look to NMRA race classes as a guide line. They are pretty clear on what they consider a stock style car and a race car.

if you go that route...classes usually say stock bolt in replacements are "ok". they just dont want the cars chassis modified like a mini-tub

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
Original 4-valve BUILT BY COLLETTI is the only way anything can be considered a "terminator". Since essentially the name was for the engine. Not really the entire car.

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
Original 4-valve BUILT BY COLLETTI is the only way anything can be considered a "terminator". Since essentially the name was for the engine. Not really the entire car.
So by that logic if you hurt the engine and have to replace anything internally it is no longer a terminator. LOL!

In the end, it is a mustang. I don't care what you call mine, just doesn't matter to me. Just be ready when I pull up beside you and don't get caught sleepin.:rockon:

yan88gt

Established Member
In the end, it is a mustang. I don't care what you call mine, just doesn't matter to me. Just be ready when I pull up beside you and don't get caught sleepin.

Exactly what i'm thinking. I know some purist that will vomit on anything that is not a fox-body with a windsor. A terminator is a great car but not a collector car . So i don't see anything bad about extremely modded 03-04 cobra's.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
So by that logic if you hurt the engine and have to replace anything internally it is no longer a terminator. LOL!

In the end, it is a mustang. I don't care what you call mine, just doesn't matter to me. Just be ready when I pull up beside you and don't get caught sleepin.:rockon:

:rockon:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
I wasnt even aware his original post was directed at you.

Either way, you both have done great things with the Eaton.:beer:

"My main question is if a Terminator that sets some kind of record for being fast, and all thats left of the car is a Terminator Exterior Shell and a 4-valve is that really a Terminator Record? Where is the line drawn???"

just figured since I ran 9s just last week and this just comes up...its directed at me...

blown302stng

Established Member
This is one of those questions that you can ask 10 different people and you will get 10 different opinions.

Is kind of like asking what makes a car a street car.

On a side note regarding records....I think both Badass03SVT's and CobraStrucks records are both very impressive . Both cars went different routes(one more street oriented and one more track oriented) and both set records that most thought would have never been set. I am glad people are different because it keeps everything interesting..

CobraStruck

Fastest Eaton/6-Speed/IRS
Established Member
Jake this post wasn't directed at you. This all started with me and some friends of mine having a conversation honestly about what we would consider a street car and what we would consider a race car. Then the conversation shifted and the question was asked is a 03-04 Cobra still a street car if the drivetrain has been swapped to an Auto, Solid Axle, Drag Brakes, no A/C, no Pwr Steering, no Radio, Interior Etc... The answer is technically yes but not to my personal taste. Your car just so happens to be those things. And you did just set a very impressive record with your car. 9's on the Eaton is unheard of and Congradulations. If I was trying to call you out it would be rediculous because all I have now is a bone stock 04 Cobra with 4200 miles on the clock. I have nothing to call you out with. I was just wondering what some of the SVTP guys opinions were about where they thought the line should be drawn. The answer is there is no answer. Its all your own personal choice on what you want to do with your own car. And the fact is that it is your own car and you can do with it what you want. I just know if I intended on building a drag car I would have started with a lower model mustang instead of stripping down a Terminator. ONLY MY OPINION!!!

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
Exactly what i'm thinking. I know some purist that will vomit on anything that is not a fox-body with a windsor. A terminator is a great car but not a collector car . So i don't see anything bad about extremely modded 03-04 cobra's.

I think these cars wil be VERY collectible in the future if you want to hang on to it long enough and keep it stock. No one does though.

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member

Yes, as the name "terminator" only applied to the engine desgined by Colletti and SVT.

My point exactly. WHO CARES.

Dynotune04

The Turtle
Established Member
Jake this post wasn't directed at you. This all started with me and some friends of mine having a conversation honestly about what we would consider a street car and what we would consider a race car. Then the conversation shifted and the question was asked is a 03-04 Cobra still a street car if the drivetrain has been swapped to an Auto, Solid Axle, Drag Brakes, no A/C, no Pwr Steering, no Radio, Interior Etc... The answer is technically yes but not to my personal taste. Your car just so happens to be those things. And you did just set a very impressive record with your car. 9's on the Eaton is unheard of and Congradulations. If I was trying to call you out it would be rediculous because all I have now is a bone stock 04 Cobra with 4200 miles on the clock. I have nothing to call you out with. I was just wondering what some of the SVTP guys opinions were about where they thought the line should be drawn. The answer is there is no answer. Its all your own personal choice on what you want to do with your own car. And the fact is that it is your own car and you can do with it what you want. I just know if I intended on building a drag car I would have started with a lower model mustang instead of stripping down a Terminator. ONLY MY OPINION!!!

technically jakes car will not pass state inspection so it's not a street car. sorry for the dig jake . by the way congrats on backin up the 9 second runs. i think with the new rear in the car it will go 9's consistantly. i have tossed a couple digs at jake from time to time on the local forums and in person about some of the mods he's done. bottom line is its HIS car and his choice to do as he pleases. cant take anything away from what hes done. on another note if you see the car at a local cruise night it looks no different than my car aside from the rollbar and recaro seats. in my opinion it still is a cobra. its just got some creature comforts taken out.

61mmstang94

Established Member
Yes, as the name "terminator" only applied to the engine desgined by Colletti and SVT.

My point exactly. WHO CARES.

You do realize the shortblock (which you were referring to about people replacing pistons, rods, etc.) is just a 4.6 shortblock right? So long as it's the same design why would it matter if they built the same thing just stronger?

They didn't come up with some crazy engine that was never heard of before or change the design of anything. Hell, using your logic, if you change ANYTHING then it's not a "Terminator" anymore...which is rediculous. It's just a Mustang with a DOHC 4.6 in it, not some insanely engineered car that was unheard of before.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread