Where are the cooling mods?

Stripe Delete

Crazy SVT Poser
Established Member
Where is the aftermarket on expansion tanks/heat exchangers/fans, something? :shrug: Its getting hot down here in the south.:coolman:

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
the heat exchanger is similar to the 03-04, although it's is much better at keeping the car cool.

Crossss

Mad Torque Inc.
Established Member
Both Pfab and LFP are working to get there prototype versions into production. It looks like it's going to be a race to see who gets theirs out first.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Stripe Delete said:
Where is the aftermarket on expansion tanks/heat exchangers/fans, something? :shrug: Its getting hot down here in the south.:coolman:

You might want to check with Evolution. I know they have a larger expansion tank. I'm not sure about the heat exchanger though?

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

jcthorne

Established Member
Why do you think larger expansion tanks will even be needed for this car? does anyone have a problem yet?

Are you talking about the engine coolant tank or the intercooler, or both?

The radiator on this car is MUCH larger than that on the SN-95s.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
jcthorne said:
Why do you think larger expansion tanks will even be needed for this car? does anyone have a problem yet?

Are you talking about the engine coolant tank or the intercooler, or both?

The radiator on this car is MUCH larger than that on the SN-95s.

We're talking about the intercooler. These cars are prone to heat soak as we've seen from day one on the dynos.

:read:

manOwar

Established Member
I don't have the article next to me but didn't KB say in the 5.0 write up that the AT's never got above 138* while testing in the Cali heat?????

Stripe Delete

Crazy SVT Poser
Established Member
04MystiCobra said:
For 500hp or 700-800?

Will be in the >600rw club for some time now.

I mainly want an expansion tank for the intercooler but Im interested in any thing to cool my car fast between track runs. Not any room for any fans behind the intercooler but thought about maybe in front of it and pull through (out the front). Just thinking out loud.
Just hate bringing a fan to the track, I'd rather flip a little switch.:beer:

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
jcthorne said:
How does a larger expansion tank for the intercooler loop help with cool down?
simple, more fluid = more area to cool, more to heat.

Put 2 pots on the stove at the same time, 1 with 1/2 gallon of water and one with 1 gallon. Turn on high heat. Which one will boil quicker? Same thing with the car...it will take more effort to raise the temperature of more fluid, and less effort for it to cool down.

manOwar

Established Member
dgussin1 said:

Put 2 pots on the stove at the same time, 1 with 1/2 gallon of water and one with 1 gallon. Turn on high heat. Which one will boil quicker? Same thing with the car...it will take more effort to raise the temperature of more fluid, and less effort for it to cool down.

And you can pack Ice in it!!:coolman:

03SBSVT

Banned
Greg 1320' said:
I am going to put the battery in the trunk and run this Canton where the battery is :beer:

http://www.lethalperformance.com/pa...m-battery-box-super-charger-coolant-tank.html

I never looked at the Shelby stock heat exchanger... is it small like the 03/04's? I know the stock GT500 radiator is real thick.
putting your battery in the truck in a car that isn't purpose built for 'track only' is completely useless and stupid, I will never ever do it, My friend did it and has had nothing but issues, ask the terminator guys, they will agree. :read:

jcthorne

Established Member
dgussin1 said:

I agree it will absorb more heat into the larger mass during a run before reaching the same temp. But cool down would take longer to remove more heat through the same heat exchanger due to the larger stored energy content. Now a larger heat exchanger will cool faster or packing ice in the larger expansion tank.

I saw an idea once on a lightning that used the ac system and a second accumulator to dump refrigerent through a expansion tank exchanger to quick chill the intercooler charge on command. The accumulator only took a few minutes to recharge between runs. Guy claimed a considerable seat of the pants difference when it kicked in for about 10 seconds of cool air.

This was years ago and have been suprised there have been no further use of this concept in the aftermarket.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
??

the 1 gallon pot will cool down faster than the 1 1/2 gallon pot.

you want a smaller reservoir relative to the size of the heat exchanger.

dgussin1 said:

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
??

the 1 gallon pot will cool down faster than the 1 1/2 gallon pot.

you want a smaller reservoir relative to the size of the heat exchanger.
1 1/2 gallons in a 1 1/2 gallon container will cool quicker than a 1 gallon in a 1 gallon pot. More surface area to cool in the larger pot.

jcthorne

Established Member
dgussin1 said:
1 1/2 gallons in a 1 1/2 gallon container will cool quicker than a 1 gallon in a 1 gallon pot. More surface area to cool in the larger pot.

Depends on the relative surface area of the two pots. The 1.5 gal pot still has more heat to remove and does not necessarily have more than 1.5x the surface area to remove it. It would be a small difference anyway if the ratios of surface to volume were similar.

Just having a larger volume expansion tank, wtih all else being the same will not cool down the coolant in the system any faster and may indeed be slower to cool.

Users who are viewing this thread