Where is a good place to buy kook's long tube headers

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
JDM is where I got mine. On a side note though, we have done a few MAC LT installs in the shop now, and I can honestly say they are every bit the header I have on my car and I've got the Kooks.... ALOT cheaper too!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I was going to say JDM as well. Being from the northeast I know a number of folks who bought the Kooks LTs from JDM. Scott's suggestion about an alternate choice might be worth investigating. You sure you want LTs? Mid-lengths are out of the question?

ORANGE04SVT

Established Member
I did a search on this board and saw where people were saying that there MAC headers were causing oil consumption???? Also do you feel that mid lengths are equal in comparison to longtubes?

blackvenom77

killer cobra
Established Member
With long-tubes you might want to get them heat coated to keep the heat in the header, instead of around the bottom of your engine. Jet-Hot is a good place but there are a few others. It won't be cheap but worth it's weight in gold. Good Luck!! :beer:

aslow306

Established Member
I just installed my kooks when I did the k-member. Fit was perfect. I got mine from a local company Horsepower Engineering for a killer price. Ask for Scooter

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
sambandit said:
JDM is where I got mine. On a side note though, we have done a few MAC LT installs in the shop now, and I can honestly say they are every bit the header I have on my car and I've got the Kooks.... ALOT cheaper too!

Scott...I'm promising you...you won't say that after a couple of years. The difference will be VERY noticable. I am very biased here...but MAC makes the worst POS products I have ever seen.

Kooks makes one of the finest headers in the world. Evan Smith picked up a tenth on his NHRA stocker with their tubes alone...and that is on a VERY well prepared and tuned national record holding car. That kind of a gain is HUGE. But you pay for that quality too.

I noticed the other day you can buy their tubes directly from Kooks...and they list all the different options too. Headers on these cars are no where near worth the money unless you make the kind of power levels Scott does. Then they are a necessity. Under 500 hp? Spend your money elsewhere.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I agree with the comments on Kooks. You know the old saying. You (usually) get what you pay for. The only long tubes I would recommend are Kooks.

Oh, and as far as comparing power gains, the long tubes beat the mid-lengths just as the mid-lengths beat shorties. If you're looking for the most power gain and can live with the louder sound and lesser ground clearance, LTs are the way to go!

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
Scott...I'm promising you...you won't say that after a couple of years. The difference will be VERY noticable. I am very biased here...but MAC makes the worst POS products I have ever seen.

Kooks makes one of the finest headers in the world. Evan Smith picked up a tenth on his NHRA stocker with their tubes alone...and that is on a VERY well prepared and tuned national record holding car. That kind of a gain is HUGE. But you pay for that quality too.

I noticed the other day you can buy their tubes directly from Kooks...and they list all the different options too. Headers on these cars are no where near worth the money unless you make the kind of power levels Scott does. Then they are a necessity. Under 500 hp? Spend your money elsewhere.
I agree bro, my Kooks still look brand new after 3 years and don't know what the MAC will look like after awhile. Outta the box though, they look and install great....

GodStang

Established Member
Probly going to get in trouble for saying this but from what I was quoted from JDM for Kooks LTs and off-road x-pipe they are EXPENSIVE!! They between $300-$350 more than where I got mine. I hopefully will have sound clips of my Kooks tomorrow.

Last edited:

blackvenom77

killer cobra
Established Member
GodStang said:
Probly going to get in trouble for saying this but from what I was quoted from JDM for Kooks LTs and off-road x-pipe they are EXPENSIVE!! They between $300-$350 more than where I got mine. I hopefully will have sound clips of my Kooks tomorrow.
Where did you get them?

GodStang

Established Member
$1094.47 shipped to my Door from www.ls1speed.com Dude said it would take 3 months to ship them but they too about 2.5 weeks to get them. You order them through them and then they call Kooks and Kooks makes them and ships them. George at Kooks (The owner I think) is a very nice guy and very helpful.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The item listed on the JDM site is for the 2V Mustang, not the Cobra. Add approx. $100.00 for the larger Cobra set.

GodStang

Established Member
Just the headers at JDM are $895 for the 2V plus the $100 stated above for the 4v another $300ish for the X-pipe. Where I got mine it was $659 for the 4V headers and I forget how much for the X-pipe and shipping and it brought me to $1094.47 to my door. The website is www.ls1speed.com and www.speedinc.com They both take you to the same redirect. The headers are $200 less than Kooks sells them for. They even come in nice Kooks boxes stright from Kooks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread