Where is the plug on the Crossover Tube for filling up Coolant?

hob

Established Member
I've yet to look on my car but after quite a bit of online searching I can't find out where this plug is located?

I want to burp my system until I can properly flush the system this weekend. Reservoir is full but did not check anything on the Crossover tube.

Thanks!

Last edited:

SC Heaven

Red Whine
Established Member
Ask and you shall receive. Not a picture of an 03/04, but the tube and fill point look identical.

coolantfilleducationedi.jpg

And congrats on the Cobra. :beer:

Last edited:

hob

Established Member
While I have an open post, my coolant color is a mix between a green, yellow, and slight brown (I'm sure needing replacement).Should I just flush really well with Distilled water and replace with ford gold?

Last edited:

hob

Established Member
Soooo ... Now at home looking at my crossover tube, it looks butchered. As if the previous owner had something break off inside it? See for yourself.

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
You must read stickys...above threads..

cobra facts and questions will answer ever thought you have now.with pics part numbers..ect....

Than read the how to thread part 1 and 2...

than download the 03 cobra ford service manual...

than get ready to spend alot of money....

our biggest issue now is ford stopped making special parts on cobra..

we are forced to go aftermarket

ripnesscobra

Established Member
The crossover plug is notorious for being over tightened and for people snapping off a 1/4" extension trying to loosen it. It looks like that is what happened. Then it looks like they used vice grips to get it off.

I would use vice grips to get your old plug off and replace it with a new one. The Ford part number is F3LY-8A500-A. The plug has an o-ring seal so you only need to finger tighten the new plug back in.

hob

Established Member
Thanks Ripnesscobra! I saw there was some older posts for aftermarket caps but I just purchased the oem replacement and will take your advice and gently tighten it back in. Thanks for the help!

hob

Established Member
Thanks for help ! Yea replacement on the way. Still trying to get through the fluids and filters to verify nothing was neglected.
Last weekend I replaced
Oil / Filter
Supercharger oil
Power Steering fluid
Fuel Filter
Cleaned air filter

This coming weekend
Tranny fluid flush -- while installing new MGW shifter
Intercooler flush
Spark plugs

hotcobra03

Established Member
Your intercooler is more than a flush..it has to come off to cleaned

im highly against spraying any thing in to throttle body..

the rotors sit in bearing that needs lube..going nuts spraying risk bearing damage..

it is crazy how much cleaning it your power feels fresh..

jblood37

Established Member
Your intercooler is more than a flush..it has to come off to cleaned

im highly against spraying any thing in to throttle body..

the rotors sit in bearing that needs lube..going nuts spraying risk bearing damage..

it is crazy how much cleaning it your power feels fresh..

I'll bet he meant just changing the intercooler/heat exchanger fluid. OP if you ever take your blower off, clean your intercooler. It's amazing how much shit will come out of it.

On another note, I came to warn you about the coolant crossover plug being a bitch to come off, but looks like you already found that one out lol. I tried everything except welding a nut on top of mine to break it lose. Ended up cutting a hole in it wide enough to fit a chisel in and turned it out. It was ridiculous.

Do yourself a favor and do not put the oem replacement back in. Buy the Aftermarket one tnuce sells. Might take a while to get it, but worth it.

SC Heaven

Red Whine
Established Member
It's so weird reading all these horror stories about this plug. When I brought my car home and did the coolant flush, that plug came out with minimal effort. But it sounds like I'm in the pretty vast minority. :shrug:

jblood37

Established Member
It's so weird reading all these horror stories about this plug. When I brought my car home and did the coolant flush, that plug came out with minimal effort. But it sounds like I'm in the pretty vast minority. :shrug:

Mine was almost welded in lmao.

b_dike

Established Member

Same here, didn't have any problems... guess we got lucky.

ripnesscobra

Established Member
The aftermarket plug is a very nice piece but to me is overkill. The stock plug is fine since all you need to do is finger tighten it (like a cap on a soda bottle) since it seals with an o-ring. If you only finger tighten it, you can finger loosen it later on with no issues at all. I actually prefer this option because you don't need any tools and you won't damage the finish on the plug during installation/removal.

Users who are viewing this thread