Where is the power ?? Timing ?? engine ???

LeKiD

Established Member
I friend of mine have a 4.6 stroked 5.0 , TFS head and Track cam , longtube and a blower with 17psi .

He had a head gasket failure because the water/meth pump break . he rebuild the engine , and the head . At the same time he change the valve spring , convert to 8 rib set up change the 3.6 blower pulley to a 3.0 , switch to VP MS109 racing fuel and installed a TH400 with a transbrake .

The run he had the head gasket failure , he ran a 10.80@100mph because he lift the throttle at the 1/8 miles .

Since the rebuild the engine never been able to do lower than a 10.95@123mph . I did a test and removed the discharge , convert the engine to run N/A and let the blower push the air in the athmosphere. The engine was not able to go past 5500 ... clearly a problem .

I did a leak down test , 15% +-3% on all cyl , and a compression test 170psi on bank 1 and 190psi on bank2 . I removed the valve cover , I turned the crank until both timing mark and copper timing link aligned , at this time the crank was at TDC . From the instruction sheet of Ford Racing , the bank1 cam is about 3/8 of an inch different than the driver side , that is right where it should be .

Long story but ..

If a cam is one thoot miss-aligned at the crank , this will cause the engine to have no power at all ??

While I was trying to remove the damper , I found that I could move the crank by 1/16 front to rear . I installed a dial indicator on the flywheel and I had .052 of front to rear gap .

the engine have about 15 quarter miles pass and 30 dyno run . I can t explain all that issues .

LeKiD

Established Member
e4eteru5.jpg
qe8u8u2u.jpg

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
If you're off by one tooth, you'd be bending valves because that is what happened to me. Get your tune looked at...

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
You could try to make that dark link line up with that dot, don't think it would help though. Did you get your tune looked at after you added more boost?

If you're off by one tooth though, your engine would not run correctly/be really rough. When i had one tooth off, I heard a loud crack at start up.. followed by really rough idle, then the engine cut off. Wouldn't start up again, either.

Does your car start up/idle fine?

LeKiD

Established Member
After fix the cam the alignment , i found that it was the torque converter that was rubbing all the power.

We borrowed a good know stall and we gain near 200rwhp at top RPM and 4psi.

The dark color are before and clear color are with the test stall converter.

a3ynena5.jpg

MLS

Established Member
The dots will not line up after you turn the engine a bunch of times.

Users who are viewing this thread