Where to check oil pressure? Low oil pressure light--feeling sick to my stomach

TVS VERT

Established Member
I know it use to happen on older mod motors that if you rev'd them too high the oil pump could almost suck the pan dry, it is possible that the car was down a little oil and with the 7300 rpm shift point that you got the oil light due to it being low ?? essential the majority of the oil was at the top of the motor???

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Still not sure if it was really 7300 as I don't see how but I'll be playing with the log tonight.
-J

99SSls1

Established Member
Didn't you say it has valve train had noise now? That would elimate the bad sensor unfortunatly and the motor should be run very little to not a all. Good luck with it

carguy19

Established Member
Thanks Kurt, I appreciate it and the PM info!
Anyone want to read the datalog, I'm not an expert with them and can forward you what my friend sent, send me an email:
drjotting@yahoo
-J

Good luck buddy. Sorry to hear. I wouldn't be concerned as much but if you are having valvetrain noise, its likely that the oil isn't getting up there. Probably a bad gear or pump. Try not to run the car until you can confirm.

I would start by draining the oil and seeing if there are any particles in the oil, then pull the filter and cut it open and check inside.

If the gear or the pump went bad, there has to be some particles in the system.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Agree on the above. Hope you can find the cause J and everything is ok BUT with the symptom you are describing re: the valvetrain noise I'd start planning out the built engine option just in case.

AFA checking OP with a mechanical gauge is there another port that is avail on the 5.8 block to screw in a gauge? I would prefer to check OP in another area other than where the oil filter is as you get a much more realistic reading of OP away from the oil pump (oil pressure would be highest near the pump vs. an oil galley on the other side of the block).

Tony

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Trying to track down a mechanical gauge but have had work/family commitments this week anyway.
Hoping to test it for oil pressure in the next few days.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I was on my back for an hour tonight and I don't see any way I can get the stock oil sending unit out on my back on jackstands with headers.
I did however use a large clear kitchen bag and took off the filter.
I'll cut it open tomorrow (a friend has a tool for that) but good news no apparent metal particles present!
I'm thinking of biting the bullet and having AAA tow it to a new local shop that has opened and knows there sh!t, worse case I'll spend $1000 on oil pump gears installed if all else looks good.
They may want to use my car for local promotion, so maybe good rates and I'll throw in cams and a remote Lund tune to break in their new Dyno :)

If it really needs a full rebuild it'll be a winter project.
I'll keep you guys updated either way.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Oil pressure at 2,000 rpm (engine at normal operating temperature) 276-414 kPa (40-60 psi)

Oil Pressure Test

NOTICE: Inspect the engine for installation of an aftermarket oil filter. Review oil and filter maintenance history to make sure that the vehicle has not gone beyond the standard Ford recommended oil change intervals. Check the engine oil level and check the oil for contamination. If the oil is contaminated, engine damage can occur. The source of the contamination must be identified and repaired as necessary.

1. Disconnect and remove the Engine Oil Pressure (EOP) switch from the engine. Refer to the appropriate section in Group 303 for the procedure.
  2. Connect the Oil Pressure Gauge to the oil pressure port.
  3. Run the engine until normal operating temperature is reached.
  4. With the engine at idle record the gauge reading.
  5. Run the engine at 2,000 rpm and record the gauge reading.
  6. The oil pressure should be within specifications; refer to the specifications in the appropriate engine section.
  7. If the pressure is not within specification, GO to Pinpoint Test A .
Snoop I'm posting from wife's iPad so forgive me, but if you can visualize or post a pic of the stock (non-track pack) oil cooler 'log' with filter and oil sending unit, is there any other location to tap in to check oil pressure?
The electrical sensor that taps into the sending unit just above the filter is near impossible in my home garage, but their is a large pipe thread plug on the 'log' that either holds water or oil, if oil I think I can tap in there?
-J

Fastfish420

Established Member
Sorry to hear about the issue..I havent been on here in awhile and went directly to your post.How many miles on your car now? I still have mine,but probably be unloading it soon,going to focus on race car and running motor city muscle at Milan next year.just to hard to have both.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
IMG_2149_zpshjgppesd.jpg

IMG_2148_zpswwma62c7.jpg

So my car is done for the year, I'll start a new thread once the new bullet in the car and making cam'd glorious music.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Damn. But the bright side, time for bigger and better things!

Thanks, its bittersweet. Being forced to build what I wanted just not on my own terms but breakage terms.
On a side note, how do you like that clutch/trans combo?
I have the same clutch in the garage but contemplating swapping in an XL trans for the direct shift and SFI bell.
-J

MikeHoncho

Who cares...
Established Member
It's a little early to tell. I only got to drive it for about an hour before leaving for work for three weeks. I'll let you know when I get it broke in good.

dotmpeg

Established Member
Excuse my ignorance but what exactly happened other than broken opg? What are your plans for it now? How many miles are on your car?

Users who are viewing this thread