Where to go for engine rebuild/new engine

VETTEKIL

Established Member
At this point im thinking I should/need to get the motor rebuilt/New motor as the noise has just been getting worse and worse snce I bought the car, what in your guys opinion is best route and some what economical, I saw MMR does rebuilds for around 2000.00 on the cobras stepping up to manley pistons, I have heard mixed opinions about the engine builders/machine shops around KS. I would like to keep this affordable yet make sure the motor is going to be strong enough to handle 17.5lbs of boost and methanol.

Last edited:

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
If you are in Kansas use Siebert Performance. He is building my 1000rwhp Teksid. Call them up tell them Cody sent you and he can get you setup. He built the "fr8t train"'s motor. Jeff Naughton's vette's motor and countless other insanely high hp cars. He's also building a local 1500rwhp Coyote for drag week. Guy knows his stuff and keeps on of the cleanest shops I've ever seen.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm going to keep an eye on this just in case haha. Mercer Machine in KC is pretty solid from what I've heard. There's not really anyone here who specializes in the mod motors though

lucheski

Established Member
I don't care much for Livernois....:mj:

I had a Livernois spring break after about 15k miles which cause it to drop a valve. I am still waiting to get the heads off to see the extent of the damage. Hopefully the block and pistons still are OK! I ordered these straight off their website. The springs arrived rolling around in a very large oily box they were not in any protective packaging what so ever. The bad packaging doesn't make their springs bad but the sloppy presentation makes me wonder about their quality control process especially after their springs trashed my $15k motor.

imagejpeg_0_zps5fa705e0.jpg

If I had to do it all over again I would just get custom cams that work with the stock springs or just use a stock cam. It just isn't worth the risk. I have seen springs from every aftermarket manufacturer break. Here is the carnage pics, I had to sell the car as a roller I just couldn't eat that kind of financial loss.

CAM01346_zpsd0f0b72f.jpg

CAM01344_zps497ec62e.jpg

MysticRob

Established Member
I would be cautious dealing with L&M

One of the guys in the 13/14 GT500 got royally worked over by L&M

Go here and start on post #27

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...oost-does-it-takes-to-build-a-1000-RWHP/page2

it gets worse and worse from there.

Never heard anything but "good" about Livernios

Wow, I'm only on post 201 of 538 and watching the tensioner arm youtube vids now. Not sure how I missed that thread but I know what I'll be doing for the next couple hours.

Brutal Metal

Established Member

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I don't care much for Livernois....:mj:

We have never had a spring failure on an engine that was completely assembled built by Livernois Motorsports. We have actually tried reaching out to you over a year ago to resolve your issue, but to no avail. As you never replied to us trying to tech you through your situation. We can not emphasize enough how important setting modular heads up correctly is. Getting the valve tip heights correct and setting lash correctly is VITAL. These are a non adjustable valvetrain tip height and proper lash have everything to do with proper valvetrain geometry therefor spring life. If the valves side load due to improper valvetrain geometry it will cause premature guide, valve and spring failure. This is not a job for an inexperienced or lackluster corner machine shop or mechanic.

We appreciate your support for other members, however only when the information is current and valid. Making baseless claims does nobody justice. If we were the ones that had assembled your heads and they failed we would be the first ones to step up and admit fault. But all that we supplied you with were springs, and did not do ANY of your assembly. So, why are we the ones at fault? Who is responsible for the rest of the parts and assembly of your failed motor?

Here is a link to the post we are referencing.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-COMP-STAGE-3-CAMS&highlight=livernois+spring

Please be assured we only offer the best products and services for our customers.

Here is a perfect example of another satisfied customer.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1018342-CJ-SCJ-CAMS-etc&highlight=livernois

Like previously stated we have no problem stating it when the blame lies upon us, but in this case it is clearly not our fault.

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
At this point im thinking I should/need to get the motor rebuilt/New motor as the noise has just been getting worse and worse snce I bought the car, what in your guys opinion is best route and some what economical, I saw MMR does rebuilds for around 2000.00 on the cobras stepping up to manley pistons, I have heard mixed opinions about the engine builders/machine shops around KS. I would like to keep this affordable yet make sure the motor is going to be strong enough to handle 17.5lbs of boost and methanol.

Feel free to give us a call or send us an email to discuss what options we can offer you for your build. We have many options from rotating assemblies to complete turn key engines. Selecting the correct pieces for your application is key to the longevity of your engine.

313-561-5500
[email protected]

lucheski

Established Member
we supplied you with were springs, and did not do ANY of your assembly. So, why are we the ones at fault? Who is responsible for the rest of the parts and assembly of your failed motor?

Livernois springs I ordered directly from your website arrived rolling around in a large oversized oily box. Some of the springs were intertwined with one another. It's quite possible the improper packaging weakened or damaged one of the springs leading to it's pre-mature failure, dropping the valve, and destroying the engine even though Livernois did not assemble the heads. I am just reporting my experience with your shop.

Heads were setup by reputable head shop in business for 20+ years with race motors. Springs worked GREAT for first 15k miles.

We have actually tried reaching out to you over a year ago to resolve your issue, but to no avail. As you never replied to us trying to tech you through your situation.

False

Last edited:

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Livernois springs I ordered directly from your website arrived rolling around in a large oversized oily box. Some of the springs were intertwined with one another. It's quite possible the improper packaging weakened or damaged one of the springs leading to it's pre-mature failure, dropping the valve, and destroying the engine even though Livernois did not assemble the heads. I am just reporting my experience with your shop.

Heads were setup by reputable head shop in business for 20+ years with race motors. Springs worked GREAT for first 15k miles.

False
Buying a part (a part that tends to fail more often than others at that) and putting it in yourself is totally different than them building engines. If I buy a ford racing key chain and it breaks it does not mean that Ford is unable to build an engine. Crap happens when you modify a car, stuff breaks. Chasing down threads from vendors who part broke after you chose someone else to install them is just silly. Now if Livernois did what LM did in that previous thread, then you have a reason to post.

lucheski

Established Member
Buying a part (a part that tends to fail more often than others at that) and putting it in yourself is totally different than them building engines. If I buy a ford racing key chain and it breaks it does not mean that Ford is unable to build an engine. Crap happens when you modify a car, stuff breaks. Chasing down threads from vendors who part broke after you chose someone else to install them is just silly. Now if Livernois did what LM did in that previous thread, then you have a reason to post.

Livernois' careless packing and shipping may have damaged the parts as delivered by them to me and likely led to the failure of said parts. This is my experience...and far as I am concerned the whole purpose of a Open Forum is for people to share experiences.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Livernois' careless packing and shipping may have damaged the parts as delivered by them to me and likely led to the failure of said parts. This is my experience...and far as I am concerned the whole purpose of a Open Forum is for people to share experiences.

I agree feel free to share whatever you want until it crosses the line of being slander. You are implying that metal springs that take hundreds of pounds of pressure and insane harmonics were damaged by a postal carrier in a box that was packed "loosely" and because of this Livernois is incapable of building an engine. Do you see the disconnect? The head bolts in my Ford Racing head change kit came loose. Therefore FRPP can not build an engine and nobody should ever buy from them. I get you were upset and that was some serious carnage but you know the risks you take when you modify a car, especially things like cams/springs. There have been thousands of valve spring failures, you weren't first nor will you be the last. It is part of the game and a "loose" box is not the cause of the failure. A million other things can cause a valve spring to break, the least likely of these scenarios is being shook in the back of the post mans van.

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

We appreciate your post but packaging a valve spring incorrectly seems like a far reach for the problem. We have our springs made from the same people who make everyone's mentioned in numerous threads on this forum and others including Comp. They literally come in a large box stacked one on top of the other in no apparent order. We order in quantities of 1000+. When the end user gets a set of springs in a fancy box it may look nice but thats only from them to you. I assure you from the manufacturer to the supplier they are in a large box shipped truck freight across bumpy roads. I promise if Livernois is shipping your springs in a box, bag or any form of shipping container the damage is not from Fed Ex or UPS.

Remember our springs are made from the same manufacturer as everyone else and shipped in the same large box to us before you receive them. We must apologize that our presentation wasn't to your liking an we will make sure we get a more presentable box. But we promise no matter how they were packaged the transit from us to you had zero effect on the failure.

Now we can not rule out that you simply had a bad spring. We just want you to take the focus on packaging for you or anyone elses failure.

If we rule out spring failure, then more than likely spring lash, improper proper valve tip height, and lifter preload has the most to do with your problems.

Just because a shop has been around for 20+ years doesn't mean they can properly set up over head cam engines. We have more than you can imagine shops across the country assembling heads and calling us and asking "why dont the cams spin freely" on a weekly basis.

Again you may have just a bad spring or metal fatigue but please please the shipping had zero to do with the problems.

LME

Users who are viewing this thread