Where to Stay in Chicago?

buffalosoldier

Established Member
It's been some time but I used to like the Drake Hotel, The Four Seasons is awesome, my fav resturant in Chicago is Gene and Georgetti over by the Mdse Mart.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
The hostel type accommodations aren't your thing?

ROFLMAO!!!! I did the barracks thing while I was in the Army. No way in hell I would do it now. Don't blame you one bit DSG2003Mach1...……..

bunk beds in a hostel doesn't exactly say "vacation" to me lol. I'd stay in Milwaukee and spend another night on the couch/air mattress first.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
ROFLMAO!!!! I did the barracks thing while I was in the Army. No way in hell I would do it now. Don't blame you one bit DSG2003Mach1...……..

Everyone is different, so I was just throwing out some facts.

My recent trip to Chicago was as follows. I won a $200 ticketmaster gift card, that had a 1 time use policy (WTF!). I bought 3 tickets to a show in Chicago and sold two for $80. I then booked a $88 flight. I landed at 9am, pizza, museum, back to the $25 houstel and got some sleep. Next day was pizza, Mexican art museum, more pizza, off to the concert, off to an after party, back to the hostel at 4am to grab my bag they were holding at the front desk, and off to the airport for my 8am flight home. All in all about $100 out of pocket, half being the after party ticket. Yes I could have spent two nights in a nice hotel and had the trip cost me $500, but everyone travels differently.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

My recent trip to Chicago was as follows. I won a $200 ticketmaster gift card, that had a 1 time use policy (WTF!). I bought 3 tickets to a show in Chicago and sold two for $80. I then booked a $88 flight. I landed at 9am, pizza, museum, back to the $25 houstel and got some sleep. Next day was pizza, Mexican art museum, more pizza, off to the concert, off to an after party, back to the hostel at 4am to grab my bag they were holding at the front desk, and off to the airport for my 8am flight home. All in all about $100 out of pocket, half being the after party ticket. Yes I could have spent two nights in a nice hotel and had the trip cost me $500, but everyone travels differently.

I get it for sure and if $ was tighter might do it. This is much more of a GTFO of here and relax for a few days trip. The one time use policy is stupid, never heard of that crap before.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
We stayed at the Fairmont Chicago, Millennium Park when we were in town for the Chicago Marathon.
Rooms were nice and spacious, and you are only a block from the river.
I would highly recommend the architecture river boat tour (Michigan Avenue and Wacker Drive).
Also, head to Giordano's and try the stuffed deep dish pizza (so good).

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member

That is true and no offense was meant. Its just as soon as I read your post I immediately remembered my military days and thought that's not something I would want to relive on my vacation. Sleeping in a room with a bunch of dudes farting and snoring is not my idea of fun. So, I could relate to the OP's feelings on the matter and I thought it was funny at the same time.

I go to San Diego at least once a year and I see those places next to the beaches for the surfer crowds. So, I do understand the point, it's just not something I would do at this point in my life.

buffalosoldier

Established Member
Just a thought, I know if my children were going to Chicago for a couple of days they would be all over AirBnB, There are a lot of high rise apts in chicago that are not occupied full time. May be worthwhile to check it out.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Just a thought, I know if my children were going to Chicago for a couple of days they would be all over AirBnB, There are a lot of high rise apts in chicago that are not occupied full time. May be worthwhile to check it out.

thats good option but again Im probably gonna use some of my credit card points to pay for a room since I have like 250k

Kevins89notch

Established Member
That is true and no offense was meant.

No offense taken.

So, I do understand the point, it's just not something I would do at this point in my life.

I understand, but you would be surprised, hostels are not just broke 22 year olds. For some, the people just want a little more social interaction. A lot of hostels have a common area to chil, nightly activities, day trips, etc.

I went down to waikiki beach a couple months back. Financially I'm doing fine. A guy in the next bunk was a medical student about 6 months from being 100% done and on his own. He just wanted to escape the cold from the northern city he lived in. Another guy started a marketing firm, sold it and was using the money to travel the world for a couple months. Another was in management at the Ritz in LA. Another worked for a asian grocery store in SF, with multiple locations that his family owns. Another was between working for Porsche of Japan and working for Porsche of Mexico. He figured Hawaii was half way there, and he had a month between jobs so why not.

TAF

Trilogy Twin Screwed #004
Established Member
WOW..a WHOLE BUNCH of amateurs in here...recommending hostels??!! The man said $200/night...

Anyway, i travel often to Chicago and have been for 30+ years...

If you want to stay inside The loop, there are a TON of hotels at a TON of prices...right now, being winter...your $200 will go further than summer, so it depends on your dates. My favorite downtown hotel is the Intercontinental InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile
, which you can get ~$200/night for the next few weeks. Ask for a room in the old South Tower, and the pool is EPIC...been features in TONS of movies (on the 12th floor). Meanwhile, you can find a room for your price via a bunch of internet sights/hotel sights.

The United Center is outside the loop, and I wouldn't stay near there, stay near/on The Magnificent Mile. Uber to/from the game.

food is EVERYWHERE...I recommend:
Shaw's Crab House on Hubbard(eat at the bar in the Blue Crab Lounge...NOT in the dining room) Shaw's Crab House - Seafood Restaurant and Oyster Bar
Carmine's up off Rush & State Street for italian *part of the Rosebud Group Rosebud Restaurants - Chicago Restaurant Group
Gioridanos for Chicago Deep Dish Pizza Chicago's Famous Stuffed Deep Dish Pizza | Giordano's

Someone said Portillo's, I HIGHLY recommend them, as well Portillo's: Beef. Burgers. Salads. | Portillo's

I hope some of this^^^ helps...

patc84

Established Member
portillos and lou malnati's is my shit. growing up there and now being in florida. its something thats a requirement when i go back to visit.

patc84

Established Member
We have some great small 1 off places in my hometown, nw of the city, totally worth it too. Pizza, hot dogs, italian beef. Barrington, IL

Kevins89notch

Established Member
portillos and lou malnati's is my shit. growing up there and now being in florida. its something thats a requirement when i go back to visit.

We got Giordano's up here in Orlando.

If you want good pizza down your way, head to Stuart, and to go to Pusateri's. It's thin, but it's freakin' amazing!

https://www.bestfloridapizza.com/

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
No offense taken.

I understand, but you would be surprised, hostels are not just broke 22 year olds. For some, the people just want a little more social interaction. A lot of hostels have a common area to chil, nightly activities, day trips, etc.

I went down to waikiki beach a couple months back. Financially I'm doing fine. A guy in the next bunk was a medical student about 6 months from being 100% done and on his own. He just wanted to escape the cold from the northern city he lived in. Another guy started a marketing firm, sold it and was using the money to travel the world for a couple months. Another was in management at the Ritz in LA. Another worked for a asian grocery store in SF, with multiple locations that his family owns. Another was between working for Porsche of Japan and working for Porsche of Mexico. He figured Hawaii was half way there, and he had a month between jobs so why not.

I hear you and I'm not knocking it in general. I'm just saying I like my privacy and would not do it. I guess I'm an old salty dog stuck in my ways. You do make it sound interesting though and fun to a point. Some pretty interesting people you met there.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
OP, I know you say you're looking to use your points, but one thing I have used in the past is VRBO. You can rent peoples apartments or condos and even houses for a decent price.

My wife and I used to stay at high end hotels in San Diego. After discovering VRBO we now stay at condos right on the beach. It's pretty cool.

Maybe you won't use it now, but may find it useful in the future.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The Viceroy off of Rush/State St is awesome. I would HIGHLY recommend it. Just right at $200 a night.

buffalosoldier

Established Member
I stayed at the Sofitel in Chicago, Europeon style hotel, full of people smoking 24 hrs a day.

Users who are viewing this thread