Where to stay in/near Portland Maine

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Any suggestions on where to stay in or near Portland? Wife would like to stay somewhere near the coast or one of the islands near Portland. I've never been so looking for suggestions on where to stay in the area, good restaurants and other sites worth finding along the way up the coast. Will probably start north from Portsmouth NH and through Portland but not sure how much farther we'll head from there. Thanks.

TAF

Trilogy Twin Screwed #004
Established Member
Any suggestions on where to stay in or near Portland? Wife would like to stay somewhere near the coast or one of the islands near Portland. I've never been so looking for suggestions on where to stay in the area, good restaurants and other sites worth finding along the way up the coast. Will probably start north from Portsmouth NH and through Portland but not sure how much farther we'll head from there. Thanks.

Kennebunkport, Maine is the place...LOTs of little charming hotel/motels. Tripadvisor is your friend to find one with good ratings. One of the most beautiful places on the upper east coast...if you ask me.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Kennebunkport, Maine is the place...LOTs of little charming hotel/motels. Tripadvisor is your friend to find one with good ratings. One of the most beautiful places on the upper east coast...if you ask me.

That does look like a better area to stay than Portland, thanks for the tip!

verbal

Established Member
+1 I stayed in Kennebunkport last fall and it was great. The Kennebunkport Inn is a nice, relaxing hotel and is right in town.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ogunquit is highly recommended. Quaint and lots to see. Consider staying at Stageneck Inn in York. 5 star resort hotel. We go there twice a year. BEST hotel in that area by far. Beds are so nice you won't want to get up. They have meal plans that are actually a good deal if you don't plan on trying other restaurants. A tip if you stay at Stageneck Inn. Get an ocean view room and at night crack the slider an inch or so. The reward is hearing the waves slap on the rocks that line the harbor. SO New England. That is what drew us to this hotel to begin with. If you do go to the Ogunquit/York area, you must visit Bob's Clam Hut in York on Rt. 1. Absolutely awesome seafood. Their fried ocean scallops are to die for. We also visit Bob's every time we are in the area.

We've never been to Portland, but have been to Booths Bay. Portland has better hotel choices of the two, including Inn By The Sea. It's a 4 star hotel that isn't cheap, but extremely nice with great water views.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks Bob, those look like some terrific places. And will definitely check out the Clam Hut on the way through!

Users who are viewing this thread