whether to buy a '93 Cobra or keep my '99 Cobra with 128k... Pros and cons?

blackserpent999

Established Member
Hello fellow fanatics... ive always referenced this forum for any Q's and A's but i have never really posted till recently. So for that, thanks!

I figured this would be a good place to get opinions... I have a decent condition black '99 with 128k and rolling. I love this car to death even though ive had it for around 2 years, I bought it with 124k bone stock and have done just a couple bolt ons since. No issues since day one, I just wish i could have been the one to put the miles on and enjoy her... now i find myself keeping her in a garage to keep miles 'low' if and when i would ever sell. Everyday driver is now my '02 SVT Focus :)

Ive always liked the original 5.0 Cobra and I was thinking it might be more worth my while to get a low mileage or rebuilt '93 and finally enjoy as an everyday driver. I work on an AF base so I wouldnt worry as much about it getting stolen and full coverage would be alot cheaper. Im just wondering about the driving experience compared to my '99, the 'passing power', the amenities (tape deck, anyone?) etc...

Your thoughts? Thanks in advance :beer:

Last edited:

jvert

Established Member
Good DD I have a svt focus as well. Sorry but your cobra has a lot of miles. So keep driving it and enjoy it. I say pick up a 93 cobra if you can afford it. They are a few 93 cobras out there at good prices and lower miles. You cant go wrong with either. Your 99 will be faster if the 93 is stock.

blackserpent999

Established Member
Jvert, thanks for the response. I definatly understand about keeping the car because of the miles. I just got it for so cheap, a friend already offered me $2k above what I payed, so selling it is still up in the air. A '93 would definaltly be easier to afford (insurance wise) if i sold my '99, plus I wouldnt know what to do with 2 awesome Cobras... maybe when get my next big raise :coolman:

oh yea, and +1 on the SVTF, now thats one car ill keep!

buddha93

Established Member
Kinda an apples and oranges comparison.

The 99' will ride nicer, brake better, have a quieter cabin, etc. over the 93'.

However, the 93' will gather a bit more attention just for what it is, and your right in assuming insurance will be cheaper if you put a collector car carrier on it and don't drive it much anually.

I say keep the 99' if your really enjoy it. If you try and keep the miles off your current ride, you'd be worse with the 93'.

blackserpent999

Established Member
Thanks for all the great input! I was waiting for Buddha93 especially :pop:

Im still debating, I love both cars, I really have to drive a '93 to really make a final decision. The '93 definatly has more wow factor, half the people that see my '99 think its a plain ol' mustang you see everywhere.

If i got a '93 I think i wouldnt mind putting the miles on it as much because that would probably be the one to keep and not sell. Also the insurance would be easier on my wallet. Either car i decide on im gonna drive till i die or rebuild later.

What seemed to be a sign is that i called a local shop about a '93 supercharged they had listed for sale. Ends up its been sold for a while, BUT the shop was working on restoring to OEM another rough used Cobra and should be done soon. Might be the perfect time to buy in the market if they have a shop warrantee for thier work...

WillyB93

Established Member
It all matters what "look" you prefer, if you could sell you 99 and easily step into a 1993 then I would say do it, I am for the foxbody style mustang anyways. If the insurance is the big decision maker, buy a beater car ( if you can have 2 cars) and make it your primary car and make the mustang 2nd car in the insurance policies which should save you a little bit. It really all depends how you insure the mustang, my 1993 is an agreed value term and it runs me 100 dollars every 6 months but limits me on mileage.

fordracing19

Established Member
If i got a '93 I think i wouldnt mind putting the miles on it as much because that would probably be the one to keep and not sell. Also the insurance would be easier on my wallet. Either car i decide on im gonna drive till i die or rebuild later.

I thought I would put alot of miles on my 93 but I cant stand to drive it and rack the miles up. Mine has 40k. Last year I put 3k miles on it and my Harley was my only other transportation.

blackserpent999

Established Member
I thought I would put alot of miles on my 93 but I cant stand to drive it and rack the miles up. Mine has 40k. Last year I put 3k miles on it and my Harley was my only other transportation.

I definaltly feel you on that. I have an SVT Focus that I enjoy as an everyday driver. Even though Ide want to drive a '93 everyday, Ide almost feel bad doing so since there are so few left!

WillyB93, I definaltly agree with you the original 5.0 Cobra is legendary to me. If i could find one in good condition Ide get similar insurance coverage.

Sad sight I came upon today... I saw IMMACULATE, gorgeous black '93 with Magnaflows and cross slotted drilled rotors on base today. Seats looked like they havent been sat in. I wrote a note and put in on the windshield with my number and said If they were interested in selling I have cash now. After inspecting it more, I noticed the top had a layer of dirt and the rotors were rusting like it hasnt moved for a while. Some A**HOLE that deployed left a beautiful '93 out in the elements to get sunbeat and windblasted for who knows how long. Really pissed me off... probably wont be getting that one. :cuss:

I appreciate everyones input though, alot of good insight. Especially from the '93 owners. :beer:

BrettT 93|03

93 & 03 Cobra Venom
Established Member
I would say sell the 99 and get the 93. But, if you are going to jump into a low milage 93. You will feel more guilty driving the 93 then the 120k+ mileage 99 that you have now.

If you prefer the 93 over the 99 and want to drive it and enjoy it. Go for a mid-high mileage 93 and enjoy every bit of it.

blackserpent999

Established Member
BrettT'03, I definatly agree I think finding a mid to high mileage '93 would be great for an enjoyable everyday driver.

thanks for all the input, lets see if I can find a nice black '93... seen one on base, rotting in a storage lot :cuss:

Last edited:

WillyB93

Established Member
Sorry didn't really read your first post very well, I would agree with brett also on his comment if you want a 1993 cobra!!

scootro

Established Member
It all matters what "look" you prefer, if you could sell you 99 and easily step into a 1993 then I would say do it, I am for the foxbody style mustang anyways. If the insurance is the big decision maker, buy a beater car ( if you can have 2 cars) and make it your primary car and make the mustang 2nd car in the insurance policies which should save you a little bit. It really all depends how you insure the mustang, my 1993 is an agreed value term and it runs me 100 dollars every 6 months but limits me on mileage.

who do you have insurance with?

WillyB93

Established Member
My insurance is through state farm on my teal 1993, there are several company's out there that will write you an agreed value policy just have to check around!

Users who are viewing this thread