Which alternator and from where for 03/04 Cobra ( searched literally everything )

bizzmeister

Captain America
Established Member
Hey guys,

I know this has been covered in the past but I have not seen one new thread with recomendations on what alternator to get. I didnt want recomendations from back in '09 / '10. I needed some REAL input now from our fellow 03/04 Cobra guys. Im sure more than a handful will find this helpful too.

I was thinking to just pick up this from lethal ?? :shrug::shrug::shrug:

PA Performance 03-04 Cobra 130 Amp Alternator [PA-2606] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

Anyone have any input on this ?

Please share your experiences with the alternators you have purchased because Ive gone through 3 rebuilt ones from Ford when I had an extended warranty and they're all shit. Ive literally lost hope and I couldnt find one new thread on this so I made it. This is literally the last piece to my 2.9 Whipple setup.

Thanks!

-Arbi

04svtsnke

Established Member
Couple of answers for you.

There is a guy on here that is making heavy duty alternators.
Search Start & Charge. Here:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...t-n-charge-alternators-03-04-only-please.html

And there is another alternator being talked about here:
Nation's Auto Electric Alternator Review

This. There's also a guy on eBay under the seller name, eagleautoelectric, that makes 160 amp alternators for our cars and has gotten GREAT reviews do far from guys using them.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member

bizzmeister

Captain America
Established Member
Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate it. This was seriously making me pull my hair out. I'll do some more reading on this eBay guy. And as far as start n charge, I remember reading that in one of the older archived threads.

But does anyone on here have any experience with any of these products on their own cars?

Oh and about the 160 amp eBay ones, I recall reading to not install anything above 130amp unless you have some heavy duty stereo stuff?

Edit****** great news, so the eBay guy is local to me. City of porter ranch is about 20 minutes from me. I'm going to call the guy and speak to him some more about it and I'll post up on here. Once again, thanks everyone.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

Last edited:

bizzmeister

Captain America
Established Member
YES!!! Wanted to update you guys and thank Bdubbs for the link to the Ebay 160 amp alternator.

Just got back from his shop and picked one up! Very nice guy. His shop was closed but he opened it for me and i went there and picked it up. He sells this stuff to a local ford dealer and is very reputable. Cant wait to throw it on with the rest of my stuff. Look at this, oem casing and heavy duty internals. Never been soo excited over a god damn alternator after going through 3 remanfuctured ones lol.

Here are 2 pics:

alt1.gif

alt2.gif

This thing is brand spankin new!

Last edited:

700hp04Mystic

Established Member
Okay guys......I have a 2004 Cobra w/ 100k miles on it. My stock alternator lasted until about 98k miles, I have put 1 Advanced Auto alternator on it and 2 Eagle Electronics 160 amp in less than 3,000 miles. I have replaced the battery and don't know what to do from here because it went bad again. Any advice? Any help with alternators? Everyone seems to be happy with Eagle alternators but I have had no luck. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Okay guys......I have a 2004 Cobra w/ 100k miles on it. My stock alternator lasted until about 98k miles, I have put 1 Advanced Auto alternator on it and 2 Eagle Electronics 160 amp in less than 3,000 miles. I have replaced the battery and don't know what to do from here because it went bad again. Any advice? Any help with alternators? Everyone seems to be happy with Eagle alternators but I have had no luck. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Mod list?

Crank pulley stock?

Alternator pulley size?

Current rev limiter setting?

700hp04Mystic

Established Member
2.76 upper 4lb lower metco alt pulley for 2 to 4 lb lower i think rev is 6800. im at my end with this crap. wanting to try something else but not sure were to go. any help would be great.

ITL Cobra

Established Member
I have a 300amp Mechman alternator. Its a little over kill but so far its been perfect...

MY DREAM

Established Member
Having a 2lb, 4lb, 6lb ect.... lower will kill an alt in a hurry if you don't compensate and put a larger pulley on the alt. I just burned up a Napa gold lifetime warranty alt in under 800 miles!.

James

700hp04Mystic

Established Member
ive called eagle electric (ebay alt) for 3 days left messages no awnser or call back, so i just orded me a start and charge tonight and he seems to be a top notch guy. i will keep everyone posted as i no this is a issue with the cobras.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
2.76 upper 4lb lower metco alt pulley for 2 to 4 lb lower i think rev is 6800. im at my end with this crap. wanting to try something else but not sure were to go. any help would be great.

ive called eagle electric (ebay alt) for 3 days left messages no awnser or call back, so i just orded me a start and charge tonight and he seems to be a top notch guy. i will keep everyone posted as i no this is a issue with the cobras.

I'm running a 3.2 Metco with a stock lower on a Motorcraft OE Ford replacement alternator that I put on almost 15,000 miles ago--- so far so good.

With a 4 pound lower I would go to what ever the next larger Metco is on your next alternator.

If my Motorcraft fails I am going to be getting a Start-N-Charge from Jamie.

Users who are viewing this thread