Which Axles?

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
I need to replace an axle. I called Tousley, but they said that Ford isn't making axles for our cars anymore, and suggested an aftermarket purchase.

Right now my car is really just a street car that is lightly modified, so a 28 spline axle is fine, and I don't have the money to upgrade everything to 31 spline at the moment. Are there brands that you all have had good experiences with that you would recommend?

Mods: 4:30s, Bassani full exhaust, sct flip chip w/canned tune, mgw shifter -I think thats about it right now. In the future I would like to include c heads, a dyno tune some nice looking wheels and maybe a 100 shot if I get the itch to take it to a track.

Thanks!

Steve

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I have superior axels and they are great imo.. I would go with Strange or Superior.. I don't know of any other companies but I know both of those are great.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
I had a thread on Axles not too long ago actually. You may find it with a search. You can get a 31 sline 03 cobra diff with the carbon fiber clutches for cheap from Tousley, then a pair of Moser 31 spline axles from American Muscle. That's the combo I will be going with. It's cheap and strong.

SVT CAMR

Established Member
or you can check the for sale sections and just get a used one.:poke:

I like Moser or strange also never heard anything bad about superior either.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
A friend of mine put a TON of abuse through a set of 28-spline Strange axles before they finally gave up the ghost. I wouldn't have any reservations about using them on a bolt-on car.

SVT CAMR

Established Member
I f I was to upgrade to 31 spline, would I just need the axles and differential?

No.
You would need ring bolts new gear lube and most likely 2 bearings and races for the new differential. Also make sure if you order the NEW axles you get them with the exciter rings already mounted on the axles. Also specify what length studs you would like. For instance I use 3" long studs. If I did not drag race and wanted a stock style acorn lug nut on my stock rim I would get shorter studs. Do you have stock rims and other rims?

epracmetcon

Established Member
I had a thread on Axles not too long ago actually. You may find it with a search. You can get a 31 sline 03 cobra diff with the carbon fiber clutches for cheap from Tousley, then a pair of Moser 31 spline axles from American Muscle. That's the combo I will be going with. It's cheap and strong.

I just went this route myself, got a used rebuilt diff with an extra clutch in it for 80 bux and axles were 300. The diff is so stiff I can not make it diff with two people turning opposite ways on the wheels..LOL

I only have about 750 in my whole rearend and that's with new gears, axles, diff, bearings, girdle, fluid. Install only cost me beer..lol

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member

No.
You would need ring bolts new gear lube and most likely 2 bearings and races for the new differential. Also make sure if you order the NEW axles you get them with the exciter rings already mounted on the axles. Also specify what length studs you would like. For instance I use 3" long studs. If I did not drag race and wanted a stock style acorn lug nut on my stock rim I would get shorter studs. Do you have stock rims and other rims?

I only have the stock wheels. Do you recommend replacing both axels at the same time?

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
The diff is so stiff I can not make it diff with two people turning opposite ways on the wheels..LOL

Not quite sure what you mean here. :D

Hell ya though, who says built rear ends have to be expensive?! Seems like the only part of the install that might give me problems is setting the gear pattern though. We'll see.

SVTCobra306

Established Member
A buddy of mine is using Alloy USA axles, we're basically torture testing them LOL. They are owned/possibly made by Precision Gear, and look to be stout units. They were comparatively cheap, they included axle bearings and seals and were cheaper than the Mosers.

I have Strange 31 spline axles and a Cobra diff, my diff is now a one wheel wonder, and I bent the axles within six months of ownership. I wouldn't go the Strange route again personally. Lucky for me they were basically free when I got them.

Moser is still the tried-and-true standard, they don't break much LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread