Which blower to run with taking kb off

mystickb1996

Established Member
So I have a 96 cobra with a 03 cobra block forged internals with kenne bell 1.5, custom first one made phenolic intercooler. so sorry to change this but since i started talking about my setup that i have on my blower alot of 1.5/1.7/2.1 owners have become interested in making some intercoolers. i would like to help all of you guys out and finally make some consistant power out out these blowers. i honestly am impressed with kennebell and their blowers are great, my only thing was making an intercooler for a b-headed car. i completed this with and the iat's are night and day. i used to see upwards of 200+ degrees and now i have seen ranges from 120-150 depending on how hot it is outside. also to add that running a very small pulley, around 14-15 lbs of boost and for restriction i didnt even loose a lb when adding the intercooler. so for you guys without forged internals this would benifit you alot because you are not spinning the blower past 8-10lbs and your iats will be even lower. if there is interest in anything let me know and i can tell you more about it, just pm me.
thank you

Last edited:

redfire04gt

Blown 2v
Established Member
A p1sc won't get you to 600. I would suggest a p1sc-2 or d1sc for that power goal. What's your compression ratio? I like air/air but both would work. You can still run your meth kit but on a centri they are run post blower just before the t/b.

mystickb1996

Established Member
A d1 Hu? That's what I thought what kind boost does I need to make 600? And I'm 8.5/1 compression. Its a 03 cobra short block so the same rods, pistons and crank as termi. And that's where I have my meth right now is in the throttle body, works amazing for coolIng charge temps

redfire04gt

Blown 2v
Established Member
I'd think 15-20 pounds on 93...centris aren't known for creating high IAT's like twin screws. The meth will still be beneficial and allow you to run more timing.

mystickb1996

Established Member
Ok, what set up do you have? I saw your build just didn't catch what blower ur using. I hope going this route will be better then what I have. I mean 500wh is fun and good I just wanna be where the 03s are with a 96 sleeper. Also do u suggest getting rid of my jba shorties and buying long tubes? Or will this not be worth the hassle and cost, I have jba's to a bassini x catless.. Just wish I knew more about these weird blowers. I never thought I'd be switching up from a twin screw but I hate the heat it makes. Any other sugestions about a centi set up?

redfire04gt

Blown 2v
Established Member
I have a d1sc but 2v....built short block, ported pi heads, comp 270s and ported hardballr intake manifold.

I would say just keep the shorties, probably not going to make much difference. The power band is going to be a lot different with the centri. Instead of making tons of power down low like you should be making now the curve is more linear. You'll have more top end but probably not much more torque. So not sure what gears you have now but I would consider 373s or 4.10s.

The only other advice is to swap to an 8 rib setup to prevent slip and invest in a good tensioner.

JP_Stang

Established Member
With your compression I would run a D1 or a T-trim from Vortech. I don't know what your fuel system looks like, but you most likely want to upgrade your lines and rails if you haven't already. It's quiet a bit difference between 500 and 600whp. It gets a little more tricky once you start getting to those kind of numbers. Obviously you will need 60lb. injectors at this point if you don't already have them.

I would run an air-to-air intercooler just because it's a more simple setup, although air-to-water will work just as well. If you go with air-to-air, stay away from the ebay intercoolers! At the numbers your looking to get, any of those will be a huge restriction. Invest in a Treadstone unit. A bunch of guys have had good luck with them and they are most likely the best bang for your buck.

As far as the headers go, I think you will be fine with the shorty's but the long tubes would add to the high rpm hp. The shorty's may help you some down low tho.

I also agree with the gears Redfire mentioned. Us centri guys have to have something to help us get up to our power range.

Last edited:

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
D1 with a nice intercooler, blow thru maf, meth, and longtubes and you'll have a very, very nice setup. You're going to want longtube headers if you plan on running ~20 psi.

mystickb1996

Established Member
Thanks for the input everyone, I think if I can find a d1 that would be my first choice. And fuel system is a single 255 Walbro right now, would adding one more work? And currerntly I have 42lbs injectors so I'd need 60s.. Also I was thinking of my 3550 would hold 600whp, it's got a spec 3 clutch and not sure what else, I bought it was car so don't no what was done to it. I'd like a t56.. More I think about this would it just be smarter to buy a kb 2.1? And keep the phenolic intercooler I made and spin the blower hard? I'm not sure of the limits of a 2.1 vs my 1.5.. Shit I'm so impressed with how far I pushed the 1.5 the maybe a 2.1 would get me to 600... Although a centi has crazy power from what I hear and better for racing. Any one have a blower forsale?

redfire04gt

Blown 2v
Established Member
Just decide if you want the low end boost or the top end pull. I'm not sure of the limits of the 2.1. A d1sc is a good choice, the novi2000 or vortech t trim are also good choices. If your buying used just keep an eye out for those. I think running dual 255's would work that might limit you though. I'm not sure how those flow compared to two ford GT pumps. I am running dual ford GT pumps and plan to make somewhere close to 600 depending on FPDC. You'll obviously need to wire in a 2nd FPDM or run a modified version. If you do this I'd recommend a new fuel hat...a kurgan, division x or something of the sort. This way you don't have to try to drill a hole in a cobra hat and make sure it seals properly. That can be a headache. You can also go return and have enough fuel for any changes in the future. And 60's for sure.

Regarding the tranny I'm running my stock 3650 with a centerforce dual friction clutch. Again, not sure how this compares to your 3550. I'm hoping it will hold up fine. I don't track the car or beat on it too bad. I really like the dual friction so far...only have about 30 break in miles on my new motor/clutch though. My buddy has a spec 2 and it's nice as well.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
^^ The 96-98 Cobras don't have FPDM's. They're return style systems.

OP, for your goals you might want to look into something like the Glenns Sleeper System. I installed that on a turbo'd 97 GT and it wasn't a bad set up. That car made 560rwhp I think and the fuel system wasn't even trying.

As for the blower, I don't think the 2.1 will get you to your goals. If it does it'll be working really hard which means high IAT's. Look into one of the centris mentioned. You'll be more then happy. My D1 had plenty of low end grunt. Even with the stock 3.27's and a stock 4.6. It blew the tires off at will.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

harvboi05

Established Member
im partial to the novi, but anything similar to a T trim or larger would work. prochargers are nice because you can run a big pulley and not worry about belt slip with big boost. i prefer conventional oiling systems. so id go with the vortech or paxton.

for what its worth im running a 2.9" RR blower pulley with a stock crank pulley on a 6 rib with no belt slip. ~18psi at 6500. all of my pulleys are perfectly aligned tho.

mystickb1996

Established Member
Yeah I just moved to Chicago and I that's why I started thinking of a new set up. I just rode in a camero with a d1 with over 800whp and all I can say is I had to change my shorts after lol people say there's lag with a d1 or t trim but I didn't feel any lag it felt like instant power. Granted its a built car, still I just loved hearing the d1 scream. So thanks for all the help and I'll look into the fuel set up, I wasent sure how I was gunna make another pump work. But my thoughts are pull my setup off and put either a d1 or t trim. I'm not against a novi just don't no much bout them. Now I just have to find a used kit.. I just don't have 4grand for a brand new one at the moment.

JP_Stang

Established Member
2 255's will get you to the 600 mark but they will need to be ran in parrallel. Running them in series won't really net you anymore flow, it will just help keep the pressure there. I would really look into getting a good fuel system. I peiced mine together. I bought what I could used and then bought the rest of it thru Jegs. I found rails, FPR and the lines for them used. I also found the pump used. Everything else I purchased thru Jegs and I have just at a grand in my entire fuel system. You are definitely going to be out-performing your current setup so you will have to do something.

Grey03Lightning

Snail Power
Established Member
Turbo FTW!

See torque numbers below. Wont happen with a blower. And that torque is at 4k rpms, that definetly wont happen with a centri blower.

Last edited:

goat-ee

Established Member
497hp with a KB on our cars is just about the limit, and a 1.5 would be nothing short of amazing!! Please share some info and pics of the intercooler?!?! My 2.1 KB made 364hp with 8-9psi and ran 12.6 1/4 times at 112mph. 500rwhp I could be seeing low 11's at nearly 125mph!!

mystickb1996

Established Member
how do i add pics? i see the hyperlink but i just have them save on my pics on my computer. the set up is one off and needs to be shared!!! its unreal what the blower can do with an intercooler

Users who are viewing this thread