Which car sounds better? My full exhaust GT500 vs full exhaust Hellcat Challenger.

DutyCalls

Established Member
My buddy picked up a modified Hellcat Challenger last last year, so we got together to have some fun and see whos car sounds better. My 2010 Shelby GT500 has American Racing 1 7/8ths headers/Catted X and a 3" MBRP Race Series cat back. The Hellcat has long tube headers/ catless mid pipe and a catback, but he is unsure of the brands. ( The previous owner died from Covid :cry:).

Both cars also have some serious power upgrades as well.

Let me know which exhaust system you like better.

railroad

Established Member
The Hell Cat is a little raw for me. Not that I could not enjoy it, but listening to it continously, GT500 for me.
Would not change one for the other.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Man trans in the Hellcat! Hell yeah! lol

I expected the Hellcat to be loud and raspy, but it was surprisingly smooth. Didn't mind it at all. There's one in my area that's just pure noise. No tone, just cracks, bangs, and rasp so that's my basis for comparison.

GT500 sounds great as well. I think the cats and MBRP keep the rasp away so she's quite smooth and pleasant. It's definitely got the Ford 4v sound, but really maintains a good tone throughout the revs whether under load or not.

I probably prefer the GT500 slightly, but that may just be because that's closer to my jam. Really, they both sound killer, though.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
It was interesting.

I think the GT500 sounds better at idle and low rpm's.

Whereas the Hellcat sounds better at high rpm's and WOT.

I think the Hellcat sounds worse at idle and low rpm than the GT500 does at high rpm and WOT.

So, the GT500 gets the nod.

q6543

Established Member
The 500 had some CHOP at idle, sounded so much better than the HC.. there is just so much volume flow of air coming from the cat ... muddled sound without tone control.

You can hear the cat is moving ALOT more air

f ê r

Tropical Tuned
Established Member
I liked the Hellcat more at idle.

Liked more the GT500 at cruising and WOT speeds.

I think that mid-pipe is hurting the Cat. At cruising and WOT the exhaust does not have a "tuned" sound but lots of noise.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
The GT500 sounds clean and has a great tone, the hellcat sounds good as well, but the GT500 takes the win.

jsd512

Wannabe Ghostbuster
Established Member
Hellcat sounds better at WOT. GT500 sounds better at idle and low rpm daily driving. Hellcat is too rowdy for my old ass. GT500 is actually too loud also, but only barely. I'm starting to prefer the sound of the C8Z.

Users who are viewing this thread