Which exhaust do you think is louder?

Andrew03Mach

Established Member
The previous owner did a hack job in welding in 2 flowmaster mufflers on our Mach. In the spring when it comes out of storage, I am thinking of getting a catback kit so everything is the same size and set up correctly. I love the sound of flowmasters on the car, but am liking the idea of getting the Mac catback instead. I have never heard one in person, only videos, which can make it tough to really get a good idea. I want the chambered sound so i would either get the Mac c/b or a new flowmaster c/b. Which system is louder or are they about the same? I run stock manifolds and a o/r h. I would go with the louder of the two systems since both sound similar, don't want to quiet it down at all.

svtrookie

Established Member
They both produce similar sound, but I think the MAC catback would be slightly louder. I have a 2.5 Mac catbck with an off road X and long tubes and it's really loud when you go wide open. Sounds great!

Ponyracer1

Established Member
I HATE mine. I have 1 5/8 longtubes 2.5 offroad H pipe and 3" mac pro something or other mids/muffs/tails. STUPID loud. Sound good at idle and part throttle, but at half throttle and up, kids cry, old ladies faint and I get a headache.

I idle through parking lots setting car alarms off like I'm hitting them with a hammer.

I'm swapping my muffs out for some summit welded mufflers to see if those sound better, if not I'll add some resonators to try an take the edge off.

jacker1991

Established Member
I had SLP LM1s and decided to change them for this http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/displayapplications.asp?partnumber=14416. LM1s are extremely ****ing loud with an O/R X but it just sounds out of control, like it has no tone or something, hard to describe it. Very happy with the Magnaflow. Our 4v's sound great no matter what so good luck with whatever system you decide to use.

Mike out! :D

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I've never heard a direct comparison but others have said Mac Flow Path mufflers are louder than Flowmaster 40 series mufflers.

My SLP LM1s wake the dead during WOT.

Yes they do, what mid-pipe are you running? I have LT's and a Mac Prochamber and even though I like LOUD exhausts, my setup is only tolerable because it is a weekend car. If it was a daily driver, I'd have to tone it down a bit.

I had SLP LM1s and decided to change them for this http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/displayapplications.asp?partnumber=14416. LM1s are extremely ****ing loud with an O/R X but it just sounds out of control, like it has no tone or something, hard to describe it. Very happy with the Magnaflow. Our 4v's sound great no matter what so good luck with whatever system you decide to use.

Mike out! :D

Ya, I can imagine LM1's being crazy with an o/r x-pipe. As I mentioned above, with a Prochamber the volume is tolerable for a weekend car and it has a nice tone to the sound since the Prochamber is like a mini muffler

Last edited:

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Last edited:

Packerfan88

Established Member
get mac I have bassani and would trade in a heartbeat. SLP doesn't make a sng sound like it should too loud and raspy

DarrenWS6

Established Member
You want to increase the volume but not by much? Mac cat-back will be louder, direct flowing mufflers always rev louder without flow path sound restriction. I don't believe it will be roaring loud but it won't be incognito by any means. Interior noise should decrease under cruising speed as the sound won't drone inside as chambered mufflers do.

I personally love the Borla Stingers on these cars. Why are they not an option? I would swap to those. Quality build, amazing sound.

I never cared for the sound of SLP on a Mustang.

Me either. On F-bodies or LSX they are fantastic. On modular motors, Borla wins hands down.

garbonzo1991gt

Flying Monkey Commander
Established Member
Steedas catback on an off road h is one of the better sounding exhaust I've ever had... I now have dumped magnaflows and I love them. Almost sounds like an old 5.0 with 2 chamber flowmasters...

Mach828

Established Member
I think flowmasters are good for people who only plan to swap the catback and that is it. They deliver good sound and the drone is bearable with stock midpipes. Flowmasters just don't work well with offroad midpipes IMO.

Forced to choose between the two with an offroad midpipe I'd go with the Mac.

You can't have a loud chambered muffler, because at WOT all you do is increase the gases bouncing off each other in the chamber creating more noise cancellation. Straight through is the only way for WOT sound. I'd like to hear how the super 10s sound.

Last edited:

DarrenWS6

Established Member
I think flowmasters are good for people who only plan to swap the catback and that is it. They deliver good sound and the drone is bearable with stock midpipes. Flowmasters just don't work well with offroad midpipes IMO.

Forced to choose between the two with an offroad midpipe I'd go with the Mac.

I agree, once the exhaust is opened up with headers and OR/H-X, the Flowmaster sound is more 'thrash' than it is signature tone. Not a real problem with direct flowing mufflers!

Serge

Established Member
They both produce similar sound, but I think the MAC catback would be slightly louder. I have a 2.5 Mac catbck with an off road X and long tubes and it's really loud when you go wide open. Sounds great!

I have the same set up and with a costum tune and it's loud and as amazing sound when down shift. sound like thunders.

Users who are viewing this thread