Which Idler pulley kit?

olympic

Established Member
What belt is everyone running now. I know the Gatorback is no longer available

Gates RPM belts. Less prone to slip and less stretching. The only caveat is DO NOT run too short of a belt with the tensioner maxed out, it will snap. Tensioner should be under 50%.

BossMane

Established Member
What is the proper size belt, when running this configuration:
2.8 upper pulley
Stock Lower
3 - 100mm idlers
1 - 90mm idler

The BilletFlow website says to use Gates belt K080751, which is 75.1 inches, but it was really tough to get on. Do I need a longer belt?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i have that same setup and use the stock belt.

you should never run with too tight a belt, i did once and am pretty that is the reason my alt failed. it should be right in the middle of the indicator.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Your alternator pulley size will also need to be accounted for when determining belt length

BossMane

Established Member
I'm running the PA Performance 130A alternator with the 3.2 pulley

I was running a Gates belt K080745, which is 74.5 inches, before I installed the 4 idler pulleys I mentioned in post #23

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Looks like you need a 76in belt according to the chart on LMR.

73.5 for 2.8 upper/ stock lower
+1in for 3.2 alt
+.5in for each of the 3 100mm idlers

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Looking at my original belt size chart, the 76" looks to be what you need. I'm showing either a K080760 or K080765.

DCguy

Established Member
I just picked up a set of double bearing Metco's......they seem to be offset quite a bit forward, toward the front of the car, compared to my old billetflows. I know they're wider bc of the extra bearing...that's not what i'm talking about.

You guys running double Metco's, did you have to shim anything out? I've also read about people shaving down the rear of the Metco's mounting surface to have them mount a little further back for better belt alignment.

olympic

Established Member
I just picked up a set of double bearing Metco's......they seem to be offset quite a bit forward, toward the front of the car, compared to my old billetflows. I know they're wider bc of the extra bearing...that's not what i'm talking about.

You guys running double Metco's, did you have to shim anything out? I've also read about people shaving down the rear of the Metco's mounting surface to have them mount a little further back for better belt alignment.

I believe they are wider and offset so they can be used with a 10 rib setup. I don't think there is any need to adjust the belt alignment.

ITSTOCK

Established Member

I agree they definitely seem to sit "forward" so that the back of the belt is closer towards the edge, but they are also made to work with 10 rib setups, so it just appears to have an incredible amount towards the front of the car which isn't being used. If you were to compare it to any other standard width pulley, which would have the same "minimal" coverage front and rear, I think you'll find the coverage towards the back of the belt acceptable.

DCguy

Established Member
I agree they definitely seem to sit "forward" so that the back of the belt is closer towards the edge, but they are also made to work with 10 rib setups, so it just appears to have an incredible amount towards the front of the car which isn't being used. If you were to compare it to any other standard width pulley, which would have the same "minimal" coverage front and rear, I think you'll find the coverage towards the back of the belt acceptable.

That makes sense. I used to have a set of the Metco single bearing versions and they also sat really far forward. Like 10-12mm more than my billetflows.

Users who are viewing this thread