Which injector and spark plug for this setup

Skeltor

Getting old sucks
Established Member
Hi, I will be running a ported trinity, 2.4 pulley, twin 67, boost a pump and JLT cold air. Should I run 55 or 72lb injectors? Which plug would be best? A lot of daily driving. Thanks.

JimIII@jdm

I would recommend going for ID 1000's, you would max out the 52# 13-14 injectors and the 72#s would be close too. The 1000's give you plenty of room. Let me know if your interested we have great pricing on them! 732-780-0770

We would also run NGK TR6 plugs gapped at .028" for your application. Change them once a year if its a low mileage street car, if its a daily driver I would go every 5,000 miles. They are cheap, durable, and dependable. We use them in everything from our bolt on basic street car GT500's right up to our 1500HP Cobra Jets!

Skeltor

Getting old sucks
Established Member
I did not know the TR6's worked in that application. I have sets of those lying around for my LS stuff. I also have some used id1000's laying around too but thought they would be a little much for daily driving driveability. Thanks.

JimIII@jdm

I did not know the TR6's worked in that application. I have sets of those lying around for my LS stuff. I also have some used id1000's laying around too but thought they would be a little much for daily driving driveability. Thanks.

The TR6's would work great, we've used them here for many years in Boosted Modular applications. The ID1000's will give you a little extra room and driveability is all about the tuning! If you have a capable tuner it won't be an issue. If you need a good tuner give us call as well! 732-780-0770

Willie

Established Member
Just goes to show you that different people have different experiences. I have had nothing but trouble with TR6's and you cannot pay me to run these plugs again. I have tried on THREE different occasions, all with the same result -- engine miss always occurs before 3,000 miles. On the other hand, I have had zero issues with NGK #3691 (TR8IX). These are two steps colder than stock but I run 20-psig boost.

TVS VERT

Established Member
Its funny about the plugs, my red car hated plan jane tr6 plugs but loves tr7ix plugs but my friends shelby hates the 7ix and loves the TR6 Plugs...Funny

you can get away with Boost a Pumps and a set of OE 13-14 Injectors many people have done it and continue to do it with room on the Fuel Pump and Injector Duty Cycle

fullboogie

Established Member
There's a ton of people (including me) running the 2013 injectors with your exact setup with plenty to spare on fuel pump and injector duty cycle. You do not need those $1,000 ID1000's. Your best bet, rather than relying on internet people, is to call your tuner and ask him what injectors he recommends and prefers to tune.

Last edited:

Skeltor

Getting old sucks
Established Member
Thanks guys. My original plan was 14 injectors and TR7ix. But I have not modded a DOHC 5.4 in the past so I like to hear peoples experience. I like experience over guessing. I know it's all about tuning anyway and Competition Auto is in my back yard per say. Thanks for the replies.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Its funny about the plugs, my red car hated plan jane tr6 plugs but loves tr7ix plugs but my friends shelby hates the 7ix and loves the TR6 Plugs...Funny

you can get away with Boost a Pumps and a set of OE 13-14 Injectors many people have done it and continue to do it with room on the Fuel Pump and Injector Duty Cycle
TR7-IX, Motorcraft SP471, Brisk GR14YS.

Done.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

JimIII@jdm

Just goes to show you that different people have different experiences. I have had nothing but trouble with TR6's and you cannot pay me to run these plugs again. I have tried on THREE different occasions, all with the same result -- engine miss always occurs before 3,000 miles. On the other hand, I have had zero issues with NGK #3691 (TR8IX). These are two steps colder than stock but I run 20-psig boost.

There are many factors that go into this but on Thousands of applications we've built here over a very long period of time they've worked great for us! Boost, timing, fuel quality...and more determine what heat range plug you should be running. Also very important is to not go too far in between plug changes. Once a year is good maintenance and its cheap. IMO the OP should be asking his tuner what plugs and injectors to run, not the forum. Your going to get a different opinion from everyone.

Last edited:

Willie

Established Member
Your going to get a different opinion from everyone.

Exactly. "Which is better, the F150 or the Silverado?" Different strokes for different folks!

I did ask my tuner. He says run the #3691. Oh, I AM THE TUNER!!! No issues for over six years now.

Willie

Users who are viewing this thread