Which rotors

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I run the stock Galphers on the street. They suit me fine. On track even with ducts, I have obliterated: Hawk: HP+, Blues, HT-10's.. CTbrakes: XP10, 11, and 12, though 12's lasted the longest out of all of them. PFC 90's and 97's, and EBC Greens, and yellows..

This season I'm going to try Cobalt XR2's front and the GTS pad rear and see how it goes.

I do turn rotors, but the turned rotors are retired from track use and are street only after that.

Ha ha, man that sounds just like me the last year I ran the 13" Brembo front brakes on my car. I was driving the car so hard that I would use up a set of pads in a day at Road America. :cryying:

I could be wrong Troy but you just may be a candidate for a 14" front brake upgrade!? :shrug::read::idea:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Ha ha, man that sounds just like me the last year I ran the 13" Brembo front brakes on my car. I was driving the car so hard that I would use up a set of pads in a day at Road America. :cryying:

I could be wrong Troy but you just may be a candidate for a 14" front brake upgrade!? :shrug::read::idea:

That's what I was going to recommend lol. (and sell me the old 4 piston brembos...)

steve121

Established Member

Bruce,
What's the total cost to do the 14" upgrade?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
That's what I was going to recommend lol. (and sell me the old 4 piston brembos...)

Dale:

I put the Y2KR Brembos on my "Secret Weapon".

Bruce,
What's the total cost to do the 14" upgrade?

Steve:

The kit retails for about $3k. You can get it a bit cheaper if you know anyone with a dealer/distributor discount. The extra hats will run you big bucks. We ended up having Coleman make us some hats that ended up being about $100.00 a piece cheaper. I get the rotors from Coleman as well for about half price. Fred doesn't like the Coleman rotors as well as I do. He had some warping issues with them at Road America. The Coleman's are just under $200.00 each and the Brembos are about $380.00 each.

My money was well spent though. I went from using two sets of pads in a weekend at Road America to five days on a set of pads and I didn't even hit the groove yet on the pads! Everything lasts twice and long or more with this kit. I figured it paid for itself in the first year. It's one of the best mods I've done to the car! :pepper: What good is going fast if you can't stop!?!:cryying:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Bruce, I meant for Troy to sell me his when he upgrades haha. Sorry, I'm a used parts whore.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
:)

I'm a used parts whore myself. 14 inchers huh? I could probably use them. Maybe I'm driving harder than I think I am.

I only have one problem with the 14"s, they force me to go with 18" wheels correct?

18" wheels are marginally more expensive than 17"s, but the rubber is WAY more expensive. Way too much cash for me to be spending.. I have a few sets of 17 inch 95R wheels and I have a good source for scrubs with low cycles in 275, and 315's in 17".

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member

I'm a used parts whore myself. 14 inchers huh? I could probably use them. Maybe I'm driving harder than I think I am.

I only have one problem with the 14"s, they force me to go with 18" wheels correct?

18" wheels are marginally more expensive than 17"s, but the rubber is WAY more expensive. Way too much cash for me to be spending.. I have a few sets of 17 inch 95R wheels and I have a good source for scrubs with low cycles in 275, and 315's in 17".

The Koni Challenge Mustangs run 275/35?-18 I believe. I would contact any of those teams about scrubs if you decide to step up to the bigger brakes and wheels.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

We are all used parts whores as long as the price is right! ;-):poke:

Yes, you will be forced to go to 18's but if a cheap SOB like myself can do it, anyone can. :lol:

Like Tom said the Koni Challenge tires are cheap and plentiful. That is if you can stand driving on Hoosiers! :fart:

There's No Doubt it's a big investment once you get the brakes, spares, wheels and tires but there's no way in hell I'd ever drive a heavy assed Mustang anymore without them! :pepper:

YMMV

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Great, now all the Boston guys will come down with GrandAm brake kits. :cuss:

BTW, I've got a set of Brembo HT10s that I'll practically give away so I have room in my parts bin for some DTCs that I want, but don't really need yet (anyone else ever been in that boat?).

rtomlin

Member GCassidy Fan Club
Established Member
Great, now all the Boston guys will come down with GrandAm brake kits. :cuss:

BTW, I've got a set of Brembo HT10s that I'll practically give away so I have room in my parts bin for some DTCs that I want, but don't really need yet (anyone else ever been in that boat?).

Hmmm.... I had a set of Brembo calipers recently find their way into my possession. If only I had some track worthy pads for them...

:idea: Hey, I know... :poke:

And now that I tow the car rather than drive it to the track, the parts bin has become significantly larger, so there's no shortage of space... for now :bash:

On a more serious note, I've been searching around a bit for Hawk pads for the Brembo's and no one seems to carry them in the DTC-60 compound. I assume (yeah, yeah, I know) that Hawk manufacturers that pad in the DTC-60 compound, but I can't find anybody who advertises that they carry them.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Rick, Jay Andrew of Andrew Racing (303-435-4848) gave a brake seminar at the last NASA event that was very useful. He's a Hawk dealer and carries DTC-60 and 70, HT-10, blue, etc. But lets talk turkey on a set of HT-10s, I'll make you a deal you can't refuse.
Call me.

rtomlin

Member GCassidy Fan Club
Established Member
Thanks for the info. I was just wondering as several of the vendors I've checked on seem to advertise the Brembo pads in virtually every compound except the DTC-60. It kinda made me wonder whether there was a reason for that.

I've ordered from www.raceshopper.com before and I agree, they often have really good prices on Hawk.

Greg - We definitely need to talk. Even if I order the DTC-60s, I'm gonna need spares. I'm planning on putting the new Griggs suspension to good use this year :banana:. I'll try to give you a shout tomorrow.

Rick

rtomlin

Member GCassidy Fan Club
Established Member
Just received an email back from Race Shopper informing me that the pads for the Brembo calipers (part #194.665) are not made in the DTC-60 compound. :nonono: They quoted me the DTC-70 compound instead.

I was hoping I was wrong...

Rick

rtomlin

Member GCassidy Fan Club
Established Member
Honestly, I haven't tried any of the DTC compounds yet, so I can't say I don't want the 70's. After reading through the technical information from Hawk, the DTC-60 compound seemed to be the best fit for my intended use. I've been running Hawk Blue's on the stock PBR calipers for a couple of years and since my stock suspension tended to get all ass-end-wiggly when I got on the brakes too hard, I decided not to move up to a more aggressive brake pad - especially not one with a higher torque rating as I figured I was already at the limit of what I could reliably control. Why is it that Team Mustang couldn't manage to develop a front suspension without the nasty nose dive under braking and with a roll center.... uh... hmmm.... nevermind. :nono:

Now that the stock suspension is no longer a factor, I'm installing Brembo calipers (used all my money on the suspension - none left for the 14" brakes like Bruce has) and re-evaluating my choice of pads. Since I only run HPDEs, I don't need to wait until the last possible second to brake going into a corner and haul the car down to an appropriate speed in the shortest possible distance. That said, I am one of those who feel that brakes are the first, and most important, modification you make when deciding to go on track. To quote the legendary Yosemite Sam, "I said Whoa! Whoa means Whoa you danged varmit!" :rockon:

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread