Which s/c Roush, Whipple or Procharger?

rich9521

Established Member
I am looking at a 2011 GT auto car and am wanting to build a low 10 sec cruiser. I have had so many differing opinions that my head is spinning. Which is the best bang for the buck? Tired of getting razzed driving a Viper at a Ford dealership lol. Thinking a 3.73 geared auto with a procharger stage 2 kit but am undecided.

kevinp

Established Member
I can only speak for the Roush on these cars but as easy as it was to get in the 10s with minimal mods, mid to low tens should be easy as well without sacrificing street manners. VMP's car proves that.

The PD blower makes the 5.0, which isnt exactly a torque monster stock, feel like it has a 500cid big block in it. I'm old school and am used to 454 impalas, 455 buicks and 500cid caddy motors, and thats what this drives like. But the big difference is those old stock big engines died out over 5000rpm, this thing just keeps on going.

Any of the FI kits out there will meet your ET goals, except the base centrifugal blowers, with the proper supporting mods, converter, gears etc. My car needed nothing but drag radial and a good tune and it was in the 10s the first time out.

try03venom

Established Member
I can only speak for the Roush on these cars but as easy as it was to get in the 10s with minimal mods, mid to low tens should be easy as well without sacrificing street manners. VMP's car proves that.

The PD blower makes the 5.0, which isnt exactly a torque monster stock, feel like it has a 500cid big block in it. I'm old school and am used to 454 impalas, 455 buicks and 500cid caddy motors, and thats what this drives like. But the big difference is those old stock big engines died out over 5000rpm, this thing just keeps on going.

Any of the FI kits out there will meet your ET goals, except the base centrifugal blowers, with the proper supporting mods, converter, gears etc. My car needed nothing but drag radial and a good tune and it was in the 10s the first time out.
I havent seen a centi blower turn a 10 yet

kevinp

Established Member
I havent seen a centi blower turn a 10 yet

They can, just going to take a torque converter, good tires and maybe a gear to do it. Certainly arent going to run LOW 10s on a stock weight car with a P1SC but high tens are more than possible with an auto and the right mods, not sure what the Vortech kit comes with standard.

As mentioned Beefcake's car did run 10s and Evos car was an F1 something Procharger I think.

Dave_6

Established Member
They can, just going to take a torque converter, good tires and maybe a gear to do it. Certainly arent going to run LOW 10s on a stock weight car with a P1SC but high tens are more than possible with an auto and the right mods, not sure what the Vortech kit comes with standard.

As mentioned Beefcake's car did run 10s and Evos car was an F1 something Procharger I think.

Their Kona Blue car had the F1 that went 8's or 9's. They had a D1 I believe on their Grabber Blue one and ran it at the NMRA Bowling Green event.

kyoshosp2

Established Member
they will both do 10s Beef's did it without a converter. just depends on what you like centri cars still spin 1-3rd gears too ,, and centri's have a hell a top end where pd blowers teeter off. i have had both and also raced a 2.9 whipple gt500 with my centri and he was 2 cars back when the speed was buried,

if you go PD do roush the whipple cars need tons of boost and bigger blowers to be quick.

centri the procharger needs to be a stage 2 so the IAT's will be good and the vortech and paxton kits are very nice too.

cruzing2much

Established Member
they will both do 10s Beef's did it without a converter. just depends on what you like centri cars still spin 1-3rd gears too ,, and centri's have a hell a top end where pd blowers teeter off. i have had both and also raced a 2.9 whipple gt500 with my centri and he was 2 cars back when the speed was buried,

if you go PD do roush the whipple cars need tons of boost and bigger blowers to be quick.

centri the procharger needs to be a stage 2 so the IAT's will be good and the vortech and paxton kits are very nice too.

I wouldn't say the whipple's need tons of boost or bigger blower i've been 10.03 @138mph with 11psi of boost. both great blowers. i run the 2.3 whipple also.

kyoshosp2

Established Member
yes but i know plenty of shops and the whipple is not making what it should on the new cars.. i had a 2.3 on my 04 cobra for some reason it responded better.

grnenvy

Established Member
Just so everyone doesn't think I'm biasd. I have had Vortechs and Paxtons on my old school 5.0s and a KB on my 03 cobra. My Convertable 5.0 back in the 90s was running 9s with a T trim and my 03 cobra was running 9s with the Kenne bell and a 50 shot.

This new 5.0 is limited on how much boost it can run. The higher compression is great but anyone running over 9psi with pump gas won't last long! Sure you will see people doing it but they will blow up it only takes one bad tank of gas. The best blower for this car is a positve displacement blower no ifs, ands, or buts about it.
Your limited on how much boost you can run so in my opinion run the best blower that makes the best TQ and HP up to 9 or 10 psi.
I picked the Roush for my combo after looking at dyno sheets it was a no brainer.
I installed the kit last week with a tune from Justin at VMP tuning. I'm really impressed with the kit. It was time consuming to install but the fit and finsh is awesome.
The TQ and PWR curve is unbelievable with this blower. Before I bought the blower I almost put a converter in the car but with this charger it's not needed the car stall's much higher now and flashes to 3500rpm's it's perfect.
I'm running 3.55 gears also.
At this time I know my car will run 10.80s and it's a convertable I'm happy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread