Which shifter?

ericsnow25

Established Member
I'm sure this has been covered, I searched and came up with BS.

Which are you guys going with Tri-ax? MGW? and why?

And is it a good upgrade over the stock unit?

Bad99SVT

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
I like my pro 5.0 shifter with a mgw handle. Nice smooth shift feel and nice short throws...easy to use when shifting fast also.

2001cobravert

Established Member
I am running an mgw with the orange handle. Has a shorter throw than the Steeda in my opinion.

I had a tri ax with a blue mgw handle. Have it for sale in the engine/drivetrain section.

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
Steeda Tri-Ax here and wouldn't use anything different. Used the Tri-Ax on multiple mustangs and love it to this day. No it isn't a waste of money, probably one of the best mods we can do to our cars because the stock shifter is so high and sloppy.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Tri-Ax here as well with fellow member Cobra Bob's gasket set!!
Do an Ebay search or check forum classifieds you can find em for about $100 slightly used

Last edited:

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
I've got the orange handle MGW installed with the shift boot underneath the handle (took the idea from a thread on here; handle's too purty to hide).

I love it to death but I'm considering ordering one of their new extreme race handles

pdm

Established Member
I've got the orange handle MGW installed with the shift boot underneath the handle (took the idea from a thread on here; handle's too purty to hide).

I love it to death but I'm considering ordering one of their new extreme race handles

Do you have a pic of said setup? I am in the middle of modifying the stock leather boot to only cover the shifter below the orange handle. Maybe I've been living in a cave with Osama, but I have not seen anyone else do this.

OP,

IMO, the MGW is the only shifter with spending any money on, and it is worth every penny. I have just never been that impressed with any other shifter.

ericsnow25

Established Member
The MGW silver "race" handle is an extra $29.99 on their site. I got a couple questions:

1. Is the MGW shifter (orange or silver) actually lower than the stock shifter, obviously shorter throws but I'm talking about the actual height.

2. I have no problem with reach (long arms) so I'm leaning towards getting the shorter silver handle.

3. Where is the best/cheapest place to buy them?

01yellercobra

Established Member
1) Yes it is.

2) I've thought about it, but I'm short so I don't know how that would work out.

3) I think you can only get them from MGW if you want new. If you should around you can find a used one for a good price.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
I've had a Pro 50 and Triax. Triax is pure garbage. Notch shifts and try hitting 3rd in it compared to a Pro 50. Big difference. Triax actually had to be pushed into 3rd where a Pro 5.0 just push up from 2nd and it goes right in.

I would also suggest the Cobra Bob shifter gasketss. I know its adding more to the cost, but it is worth it. A good short throw shifter is an excellent mod for a mustang. The stock shifter just doesn't cut it.

poneypower

They call me Shipwreck!
Established Member
TriAx here, first mod I did to the car in 03. Of course back then there weren't many options. From driving a car with a MGW, if I had to choose today I guess I'd go with MGW. little better feel and feels like a shorter throw.

But I'm not going to change out my TriAx at this point. I don't have any issues with it. My dad has a Pro 5.0 in his 02 SS and I can't stand to drive it. I liked the Hurst that came with it better. Different car, different tranny of course but still.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
OP,

IMO, the MGW is the only shifter with spending any money on, and it is worth every penny. I have just never been that impressed with any other shifter.
So you'd retain the stock piece of crap over a Tri-Ax,Hurst,B&M,Pro 5.0:shrug: NOT!!
And I will say this I had 3 different Tri-Ax's for T-45's at the shop and the one presently in the car felt considerably better than the other 2 which were a bit notchy but still nite and day better than oem!

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Tri-ax using the lower two mounting holes for the shortest throw possible and my own true race handle.

easter11001.jpg

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
I'm sure this has been covered, I searched and came up with BS.

Which are you guys going with Tri-ax? MGW? and why?

And is it a good upgrade over the stock unit?

Asking a question like this is like asking "Which tires...", "What brand of oil...", "What brand of transmission fluid...", etc. Everyone will have a different opinion.

What matters is what you will be doing with the car: casual driving, road racing, drag racing? Sure the MGW shifter is nice for a DD, but the cool thing about the Hurst, Steeda, and Pro5.0 shifters are the offset spring bias. With this feature (which is just a stiffer spring/springs on the right side), the shifter will "pop" up from 2nd to 3rd much more easily.

You also have to consider your reach. Just about all the aftermarket shifters use handles that are pretty much interchangable if you want to experiment (the bolt pattern is on 7/8" centers). With MGW, only their brand of stick works. You just have to try one or more and see what is most comfortable and fitting for you and your driving style!

Tri-ax using the lower two mounting holes for the shortest throw possible and my own true race handle.

easter11001.jpg

Now that is cool!

01yellercobra

Established Member
What matters is what you will be doing with the car: casual driving, road racing, drag racing? Sure the MGW shifter is nice for a DD, but the cool thing about the Hurst, Steeda, and Pro5.0 shifters are the offset spring bias. With this feature (which is just a stiffer spring/springs on the right side), the shifter will "pop" up from 2nd to 3rd much more easily.

The MGW has the centering springs too. Push up from second it lines up for third by itself.

Users who are viewing this thread