Which short antenna is better

mitchorama

Established Member
I am looking at buying a short antenna. When my free Sat radio runs out I will be listening to AM/FM radio. I see two antenna that caught my eye. One is you just replace the antenna part, the other one you replace the whole unit. Which one have you installed on your Mustang? Here are thw two sites:
The Stubby Antenna

2010-2013 Mustang Shorty Antenna - Black 4" MU0047SB

Thanks, Mitch

SCMOKN

Established Member

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Just cut yours.. no loss in radio reception and no more Harry Potter wand appearance.

Dremel+painters tape+just a dab of black spray paint=win

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
I'm happy with the LRS one. comes in black and doesn't need a special tool to install like the am one. to me, it looks better than the stocker cut down.

csb85

Established Member
I went with the craven speed. I think its the shortest out of all the ones available. I had no loss in radio reception.
photo7_zpsc1e418c9.jpg

kingnut

Established Member
Need one. I would love a straight delete kit bit I guess a shorty will do.

HammeredSoul

Established Member
Just cut yours.. no loss in radio reception and no more Harry Potter wand appearance.

Dremel+painters tape+just a dab of black spray paint=win

What if you're a Harry Potter fan? Anyways, I've had one of the stubby antennas before, and I did notice a change in reception. Around town or populated areas, the radio stations came in the same as before. However, on road trips I would notice that the stations would drop sooner, and had pretty fuzzy reception on most stations in between big cities since the towers are usually near populated areas.

This is due to the fact that the antenna on the car is a 1/4 wave antenna, meaning that it is 1/4 length of the radio wave. This makes it electrically resonant of the frequency, much like a tuning fork. The stubby antennas use an inductor coil to tune this resonance to suit their length, but produce less gain (sensitivity). So in short, don't switch it if you enjoy listening to the radio on road trips.

You can read about it here...

Whip antenna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
I can this without a doubt--I noticed 0 reception loss in my own personal car when I cut the extra length from the factory antenna. I know I'm not alone as many of my 5.0 friends report the same thing.

kingnut

Established Member
who listens to FM anyway. sirius ftw. anyone know of a delete kit?

apex32

5.slow
Established Member
just ordered a craven.. always been annoyed with how huge it is. The craven looks the best to me and I NEVER use the radio. Always sat or bluetooth from the phone.

apex32

5.slow
Established Member

mhyjek

Established Member
who listens to FM anyway. sirius ftw. anyone know of a delete kit?
Sirius sucks for clarity and overall sound plus you are paying and still getting commercials. Also the stock interface sucks! I like bluetooth the best but AM/FM second the sirius...

ACESnEIGHTS

Established Member
Ordered a stubby today, and if you like them on facebook you get a free Craven Speed sticker, Oh snap! Free sticker, that sealed the deal. :)

Users who are viewing this thread