Which tire?

Shelby1968

I'm looking for a tire that will hook decent. Only driven in nice weather and was looking at the NT05 but can only find it in a 315. I would rather stay with the stock size but can only find it in a Invo or R888. Any suggestions? I looked for some links on this but couldn't find any. Thanks.

paluka21

Established Member
The R888 in stock size is a good all around tire; handling and hook. It obviously won't be as good in the rain and won't last as long as a standard radial, but is a good all around tire.
The 305/35/20 NT555R fits the stock wheels nicely as well and is a substantial upgrade in the straight line traction department over stock. They are a little soft in the sidewall which will affect cornering, but not too much where the car would be sloppy.

Ill_W1N

Established Member
Like said above, 305/35/20 NT555R. The only tire that will hook decently is a drag radial.

Last edited:

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
I run NT05R on my stock rims, 315 and has minimal bulging and hooks awesome ! So much better than the stock tires

03kbredfire

Established Member
I like the Nitto NT01's. They are nearly same as Toyo R888. Nitto has a replacement for stock sizing (285 35 r20). If you want best dry rating these ar the two to choose from. I opted for the 315 on a widened set of stock track pack wheels. No issues.

taco7

Established Member
I wouldn't go with the Invos. I did a set on the rear last time and they are noisy (either that or my rear end is making a ton of noise). I did N555 on the front, and through 2 track sessions, they did well.

svt 500

Established Member
I'm leaning towards the R888 because of the stock size and I like the NT05R but was a little concerned the 305 might bulge a bit?.

1971mach1

Established Member
I know most members like the above tires buy I really like Bridgestone RE71 I autocross and have found these to be great tires, good luck.

802gt500

Established Member
Another vote for 555r. Tried nto5r and did not hook as good as mine on street driving. So much that I sold and went back to 555r

fearthesnake

Established Member
The R888 in stock size is a good all around tire; handling and hook. It obviously won't be as good in the rain and won't last as long as a standard radial, but is a good all around tire.
The 305/35/20 NT555R fits the stock wheels nicely as well and is a substantial upgrade in the straight line traction department over stock. They are a little soft in the sidewall which will affect cornering, but not too much where the car would be sloppy.
I've noticed Nitto now has the NT555R G2 in a 295/35/20 size now. Overall diameter is 28.11. I wonder if that would be about the same size of the stock GY?

Decent price at $240 per tire.

djniknala

Established Member
I've noticed Nitto now has the NT555R G2 in a 295/35/20 size now. Overall diameter is 28.11. I wonder if that would be about the same size of the stock GY?

Decent price at $240 per tire.

There is no 555R G2 just a 555 G2. It is not a drag radial but a UHP summer tire.

fitforspeed

Established Member
I've run about every tire out there from Pirelli, Michelin, Nitto, Bfgoodrich, Mickey Thompson, Hoosier, Bridgestone, summer tires and drag radials, and by far the best tire has been my Toyo R888's. Better straight line traction, better handling, just better. They do not disappoint. Unless your looking for a tire that gives many miles of use, not that the Toyo is bad, but it is not a high mileage tire. Have also had no issues with them in the rain, and I run them front and rear now, 315 rear 275 front. Check pricing on tirecrawler.com, that's who I use. Free shipping on Toyos and great pricing!

fearthesnake

Established Member
I've run about every tire out there from Pirelli, Michelin, Nitto, Bfgoodrich, Mickey Thompson, Hoosier, Bridgestone, summer tires and drag radials, and by far the best tire has been my Toyo R888's. Better straight line traction, better handling, just better. They do not disappoint. Unless your looking for a tire that gives many miles of use, not that the Toyo is bad, but it is not a high mileage tire. Have also had no issues with them in the rain, and I run them front and rear now, 315 rear 275 front. Check pricing on tirecrawler.com, that's who I use. Free shipping on Toyos and great pricing!

You running stock Rims with the Toyo 315?

Drewsky65

Established Member
Michelin PSS 295/35/20 in the back are great ! night and day difference from stock and great in the rain. They fit great on stock wheels and all shops will install them. ( most shops wont install the 305's)

Users who are viewing this thread