Which tires ?

CSCOBRA03

Established Member
Which tires of the 3 listed would be the better value for some limited open track My car is a 03 Cobra.
Kumho Ecsta V-710 $209

Falkin RT615 $157

Nitto NT01 $201

Nitto 555R11 $185

Thanks for your help.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
I've got the Falken Azenis 615's on the front of mine and have used them for two days of open tracking. So far they have minimal tread wear and handled very well. I used 245's on the front of mine so I would only conclude that the 275's on the front of yours would handle even better. I don't think you can beat them for the price.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
CSCOBRA03 said:
Which tires of the 3 listed would be the better value for some limited open track My car is a 03 Cobra.
Kumho Ecsta V-710 $209

Falkin RT615 $157

Nitto NT01 $201

Nitto 555R11 $185

Thanks for your help.

Curt:

I really like the V-710 for grip and durability (they are my favorite OT tire actually) but I have had some quality issues with their tires of late. Rain grip would obviously suck!

The Nitto NT-01 is awesome. I was on them three times over the weekend heat cycling them once each day. I was duly impressed with them! Rain grip not too good. 555RII would be better in the rain.

The 555RII takes a while to get some grip in them. A few heat cycles and a little material removed they were very good. Rain grip not too bad. Towards the end they got really slippery and were impossible to cord. I gave up trying to cord them. Right at the end, I slipped and slid two days at Auto-Bahn, two days at VIR, two days at Road America and then two more days at Auto-Bahn again and I threw in the towel. It was just too painful to get them to cord.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the Falkens? But I am sure this might be the best rain grip tire of the bunch? But that's pure speculation on my part.

Good luck in your decision!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Last edited:

PETSNKE

Established Member
I've got 4 track days on my 275/40 Falken RT-615s and love them. They ride like crap on the street, but are a great value track tire for the novice & intermediate drivers out there.

Ran two 1/2 hour sessions in the rain at Putnam Park a few weeks ago and was really impressed how well they held.

TTA89

Established Member
You have 2 street tires and 2 race tires mentioned there. I think the question is "Are these going to be on dedicated wheels or is this whats on the car all the time?"

If its going to be on the car all the time without hesitation I'd get the RT-615s. A friend of mine has them on his car, I have driven it a bunch of times and even Auto X'd with it this weekend in the rain and these tires ROCK! I love them. If I ever wear out the 555 Nittos on my car I'm ordering these.

If you have a second set of Rims I would order the V710s. I love these tires, they last a long long time and and stick very well.

I'll sit and watch if its raining during an Open Track event, I have no desire to run my car in the rain out there. I do Auto X in the rain and with V710s I have never been beaten by anyone with street tires. This weekend I Co-drove a 96 Cobra with V710s in the rain and the closest car with street tires was 8 seconds behind. They had far far more grip than the car I drove with RT-615s and he was at the head of the street tire pack.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
PETSNKE said:
I've got 4 track days on my 275/40 Falken RT-615s and love them. They ride like crap on the street, but are a great value track tire for the novice & intermediate drivers out there.

Ran two 1/2 hour sessions in the rain at Putnam Park a few weeks ago and was really impressed how well they held.
Mine seemed to not "track" well when I first put them on. Felt like they wanted to pull to one side or the other while cruising on the highway. But after heat cycling them and using them on the track, they seem fine now. Of course you have to rub the excess rubber off of them after an event or they vibrate like crazy as any tire does.

Users who are viewing this thread