Which to buy 2010 or newer GT500 or CTS-V

Mbachota

Established Member
Hello everybody. So Ive been looking heavily into getting a GT500 since Ive refinanced my house and have plenty of extra income. Ive been looking for a convertible and I have seen some but just havent pulled the trigger yet. However looking at everything I came across a 2010 CTS-V. I liked the fact the car is supercharged and it comes in a sedan. Helps that it has 4 doors since I do have a 2 year old son but only a perk since the wifes car is the family car. Ive always been a ford guy and never a chevy guy but this car is very enticing. I would like to do some road racing with the either car with the company just track it. The other only perk of the cts-v is that it has heated and cooling seats which are nice. Just curious if anybody knows somebody with both vehicles or a ctsv that can provide some input. This will be my DD and only wanting a manual in the cts v. I would appreciate any input.

helloWorld

Established Member
As an owner of a 2012 CTS-V sedan, the CTS-V is my pick.

It has two more doors and the creature comforts are much better than the GT500.

In my opinion, the only advantage of the GT500 is that it weighs less.

Blown 89

Established Member
As a DD you'll want the V hands down provided you don't care about fuel economy. The cooled seats don't work as well as other cars do but you can still feel it. The interior of these cars get an unfairly bad rap aside from the infotainment system, it is really dated and connectivity isn't very good, but the rest of the interior stacks up with the Mercs from that era. I have a $5 bluetooth adapter in the console for music so that's all I need. For a stock vehicle the sound system is actually pretty good which is good because changing components is a nightmare since all of the car's nanny systems run through it. You'll definitely want the Recaros even though they take forever to get just right. The panoramic roof is another big ticket item. You have to be careful buying used because the V community gets pretty ricey and a lot of people beat the shit out of these cars. If you want attention the V will get more of that as well.....at least the wagon does. I opted for the wagon over the sedan because it had, more storage space yet wasn't any bigger.

I have two complaints about the car. The clutch tends to heat up and will stick from time to time if you're in traffic after romping on it. It's easy enough to pull up with your foot but I don't like that it happens. I need to get it up on a lift and insulate the clutch hydraulics but I'm too lazy. Also, the shifter sucks. It's soft and vague and there aren't any good aftermarket options out there. The new ATS-V shifter is a work of art but the older V's isn't that great. I wouldn't trade it for a manual in a million years though.

Where you're going to run into a sticking point is tracking the car. There are a ton of guys that race them here but they are big and heavy and feel like it on the track. Everybody says they plan on road racing their car but let's be honest here, nobody ever does. If you want to road race don't do it in $80k cars...go buy an older track car for a couple of grand from someone at the track.

The mod community for the V2's is outstanding too. You can make massive power for relatively little money and there are some beasts rolling around that look, drive, and sound like stock V's. I recently went on a local V cruise and there were a few huge horsepower sleepers in the group.

I'll be really honest....if I were in the market for a new car the ATS-V is the way to go. That thing is brilliant. It's lighter, feels more nimble, comes in a manual that is fan-freaking-tastic, has carbon fiber everywhere, and comes with the next gen suspension that is phenomenal. It's still family friendly too.

HandBanana

Established Member
I just made this decision myself, considering the same options you are currently. I ruled out the 13-14 GT500 as I personally have no faith in the reliability of the 5.8(personally seen and helped pushed 3 of them off the highway with basic mods that windowed the block). I looked for clean, low mileage 11-12 cars and 11-13 CTS-Vs.

I was actually pretty set on getting a V and drove a handful of them but when I finally took the wife to check out a low mileage, really nice condition '13 car, she was less than impressed, didn't care for the ride or layout of the interior. The same week a TVS '12 Shelby became available and I jumped on that. We both love the car so it worked out well.

I will say that there is no real downside to the V, they are awesome cars. If my Shelby had a stock Eaton on it, I don't think I would've sprung for it but it had all the ideal mods I wanted. I wish I could convince you to get an auto, its the way to go.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I have both. The V is a coupe auto. The GT500 has PP and a 13/14 blower swap. Aside from infotainment and the blower swap, you can tell the GT500 is a trickle up car. The door panels and most interior are cheap plastic. We have a lot of bridges around me and on expansion strips it "pogos". The V with magnetic ride just soaks up any road inperfections, unless on sport mode. The V seems to handle well though it's never been on a road course. On stock replacement tires and a CAI only, no tune it runs 11.8's all day with 0 drama(it's an A6). Both cars have Recaros, but the V's are full power and heated and cooled. Also the seats, steering column have memory settings.
The V can be made as fast as the GT500 it's just more difficult. Pulley swap's are PITA, and you have to immediately add a heat exchanger and tank, factory tank is literally a fill tube. Also you'll need to get injectors as the factory injectors won't be sufficient.

I'd go CTSV all day everyday. I keep looking to trade the GT500, the V hasn't crossed my mind.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Only way I'd consider a GT500 is if it was a 13/14. Even then I'd choose the V. Man, it's just something about a fast sedan.

MastaAce03

Established Member
I have a 2012 Shelby and a 5 year old daughter. Before the 12, I had an 07. My daughter is in absolute love with the Shelby. I have another car I daily to work and back and she's always trying to talk me into taking the Shelby instead. The shelby is just a cooler car IMO. Faster, lighter, and you get style points. The Ctsv is obviosuly bad ass as well. However, I sat in a cammed ctsv once and wasn't that impressed. Car was fast, interior was ok at best, and I couldn't wait to get back into the Shelby. And my gf had the same feeling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

MastaAce03

Established Member
And start looking at the 11-12 Shelby if you're considering the car. They're coming down in price and this is definitely the time to buy. I have the Recaros and Nav. this go around and will never look back. Do you want to be the dad that rolls up to school with "just another cadillac" to the untrained eye or a Shelby gt500? Getting their in the Shelby will give your son something to talk to his friends about and admirer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
LOL @ thinking the CTSV is just another Cadillac to the untrained eye and that a GT500 isn't just another Mustang to the same set of eyes. Can't remember how many times someone asked me if my GT was a Cobra.

Ill_W1N

Established Member
The rods in the 13-14 Shelby's are the weak point, so one bad tank of gas and high rpm's over 6500 is a gamble. I own one and don't get me wrong it's a blast to drive but the back seat is limited. It's fine for a child seat so you'd be ok in that area but not for babies where you have to put the actual carrier in so if you plan on having more kids that would be an issue. As far as looks are concerned the V coupe's in my opinion are ugly as shit. The sedan is the only one I'd get. The wagon is...well a wagon lol. It's long and looks funky. Has more space but you'd probably take your wife's car for trips. The Shelby is a blast to drive every time I get in it. Not sure on the V in that aspect. I'd say test drive them both and decide.

Blown 89

Established Member
LOL @ thinking the CTSV is just another Cadillac to the untrained eye and that a GT500 isn't just another Mustang to the same set of eyes. Can't remember how many times someone asked me if my GT was a Cobra.
I thought that was going to happen when I bought a V....it hasn't. I'm shocked at how much more it gets noticed than my Cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread