whine noise in fifth and sixth.

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member
i just started hearing this whining noise in fifth and sixth. it goes away when i take my foot off the gas pedal. i though it was the tob but i dont think it is. gear shifts are smooth and the whining noise is somewhat faint.

any ideas?

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member
btw i searched and could find any info, and no its not blower whine. it sounds like its coming from the shifter area.

corpsedub

Mighty Trust Krusher
Established Member
5th seems to be pretty noise in mine as well from the shifter area. i have read a few posts on here that indicated thaht T-56 was noisy in this gear on other models as well(viper, GTO).

Wease

I Love Beavers
Established Member
Is it coming from your rear or your shifter? If it's the shifter, do you have an aftermarket one? Mine was quiet as can be when I had the stock shifter, but as soon as I put my MGW on, it made a lot of noise in 5th and 6th gear, just as you describe. So I ordered a Cobra Bob shifter gasket and the noise almost went away. Still a little bit of noise, but a ton better than it was. So that might be your problem right there, if you have a shifter other than the stock one. Now if it's coming from the rear end, that is a totally different problem... :(

Last edited:

03atc

Established Member
I dare say it's gear noise. My car started doing the same thing so I ask around to some of the other local cobra owners and almost every single one of them had the same problem. I took it to the dealership and they changed the ring and pinion out in my car. Just got it back last week so I'm still putting around for break in time but the noise is gone for now. There's 6 cobras locally in Panama City and 5 of them have had this done. :thumbsup:

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member
the noise isnt coming from my rear. ive had rear end whine before on my 2003 mach 1 with 410s and it whined like a bitch. this noise seems to come from the shifter. i say this because the noise dies down as i put my hand on the shifter. i just recently put in a mgw shifter so im thinking its coming from there.

Wease

I Love Beavers
Established Member
solidsnak3 said:
the noise isnt coming from my rear. ive had rear end whine before on my 2003 mach 1 with 410s and it whined like a bitch. this noise seems to come from the shifter. i say this because the noise dies down as i put my hand on the shifter. i just recently put in a mgw shifter so im thinking its coming from there.

Get the shifter gasket I mentioned, it will take care of that noise. I had the same issue. Good luck! :)

snkebyte

Established Member
I took my car in to have the tsb work done on the tranny. they told me they had to replace the transmission because they found metal in the case. they put in a brand new transmission and now it makes the noise in 5 & 6. It did not make that noise in my first tranny. I am going to take it back soon to find out why it is making the noise. my shifter is stock.

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member
seems like its the shifter for more people and not just me. i tried installing the shifter again and focused on using the gasket sealer when bolting on to the tranny. the noise went down but with the windows closed and the stereo off, it can be heard. the good news is that there is no sign of poor tranny operation. shifts are smooth. this is more of an annoyance then anything else as i dont expect this type of noise from "The Quietest Aftermarket Shifter Available" my mgw from my 03 mach 1 was dead silent dont know why this one makes more noise. i should probably consider doing a fluid change on my tranny.

BM1

Established Member
solidsnak3 said:

I've got a very soft whine at 50-60MPH on my '04 Mach with 4.10s. Was yours because of the install? What did you do to fix it? Mine doesn't seem near bad enough for me to buy a whole new gearset and pay $300 to have it redone.

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member
the noise from my rear was because of a bad install. had it reinstalled and noise went away. i believe it was because a lack of rear gear fluid.

Asd60303

Lead. Never Follow
Established Member
My cobra whines in 5th and 6th too, the whine is coming from the shifter cause when I downshift, it goes away or when I let off of the gas like you. I only have 800 miles on my car so I doubt it's the rear-end or anything major. I'll see if it goes away when I install my MGW shifter and cobrabob gaskets.

Users who are viewing this thread